Sign in to follow this  
DFG

Rudder Bearings

What would be a reasonable charge to replace the rudder bearings in a 38' sailboat?  I assume we are looking at a Jefa system.

Per Moon's comment, the old bearings can be difficult to remove as they are often bound up in the tube. Sometimes they can be driven out like with a 2 x 4 and a hammer, other times they will need to be cut out.  Work involves - obviously- hauling out, removing rudder, then removing old bearings, installing new bearings, reinstalling rudder. Wheel steering is more involved than tiller.  None of this is difficult, just takes time and there can be complications.  You should be able to get a firm quote from your yard.  Call me if you decide to do it yourself, we've done our 38' one twice.  First when worn out, then again when tornado blew us up on our floating dock  against the rudder.  

42 minutes ago, voodoochile said:

Per Moon's comment, the old bearings can be difficult to remove as they are often bound up in the tube. Sometimes they can be driven out like with a 2 x 4 and a hammer, other times they will need to be cut out.  Work involves - obviously- hauling out, removing rudder, then removing old bearings, installing new bearings, reinstalling rudder. Wheel steering is more involved than tiller.  None of this is difficult, just takes time and there can be complications.  You should be able to get a firm quote from your yard.  Call me if you decide to do it yourself, we've done our 38' one twice.  First when worn out, then again when tornado blew us up on our floating dock  against the rudder.  

Not always easy to get a firm quote unless the yard just prices it for being a complete pain in the ass to remove the bearings. 

As you say, there can be unseen complications 

Boat is still in use.  The yard last winter said it was something to take care of "soon".    Boat steers fine and if they didn't say something, I wouldn't have thought about it.  Boat is in central Chesapeake Bay.  Boat has wheel steering.

The lower rudder bearing on my Express 37 had to be cut out, and was replaced with a Jeffa. Upper was replaced also. Rudder post was sent out to be trued for roundness. One of those “complications”. 

Once back in the water,  it was $8875. 

How often should the rudder be removed and bearings checked?  I've heard suggestions of every 4-5 years.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:57 PM, joe.barry said:

The lower rudder bearing on my Express 37 had to be cut out, and was replaced with a Jeffa. Upper was replaced also. Rudder post was sent out to be trued for roundness. One of those “complications”. 

Once back in the water,  it was $8875. 

A good example of why it’s not always possible to get a firm quote for work on boats. 

17 minutes ago, Shockleysprings said:

How often should the rudder be removed and bearings checked?  I've heard suggestions of every 4-5 years.

Depends on the type of boat, usage etc. For the sake of a good maintenance program I’d drop the rudder during the annual haul out if possible. 

Any recommendations to replace the rudder bearings in either Annapolis or Oxford, MD?