SOSOS

Genoa question

I'm considering buying 3yo pentex 135% genoa for about 1/4 price new. It's been used for club races during that time on the great lakes (limited season). What's the expected life for the sail on C&C 35? Can I expect this to give me another 3-4 years of being competitive in club racing, or is that too optimistic?

You would be far better off buying the least expensive basic new dacron sail.

On 6/30/2018 at 12:46 AM, SOSOS said:

I'm considering buying 3yo pentex 135% genoa for about 1/4 price new. It's been used for club races during that time on the great lakes (limited season). What's the expected life for the sail on C&C 35? Can I expect this to give me another 3-4 years of being competitive in club racing, or is that too optimistic?

It is impossible to say. Define "competitive in club racing"? There are very different level of fleets and goals. By Pentex you likely mean a laminated sail. Does it have taffeta? On both sides? Someone would say a sail with taffeta is not competitive even as new due to added weight and stiffness, but it certainly does last much longer.

My cruising sails are laminated polyester (Pentex is high modulus polyester) with taffeta on both sides. The jib is not that good, the form has been weird all the time I had it (since 2011), but the mainsail is still good enough for some level of club racing. The sails are from 2005 and have been sailed 13 000 nm (or maybe 10-11 000 due to miles sailed with my racing sails). I have won races with that mainsail and a different jib (racing jib or my 2008 cruising jib, also polyester laminate and not much used since 2012).

Then my racing sails are aramid 3DL, no taffeta, from 2008. They were not used 2010 and 2011. I bought them second hand for season 2012 and payed 1/6 of the price as new + modifications needed (the sails were from another boat type). One of the three jibs (H/M) needed big repears already during the 2012 season and was never good (this was visible and I paid only 1/10 of the price as new). It is still usable, but no good for racing. The other two jibs were really good 2012-2014, but then the L/M jib started to be rather used. Partly due to lack of H/M. Heavy jib is still probably OK, since it is not used that often here. Mainsail is still fast, but needs a lot of small repairs to keep it in one piece. None of the other upwind sails have needed bigger repairs, only more and more insignia tape. I have raced only 2-3 races/year 2016 and after that. 2012-2015 I raced about 20 races in a season.

Obviously it depends on budget,  but if you are serious about racing,  buy a new sail,  the best you can afford,  do the other things that you can to your boat,  clean bottom,  systems that work etc,  and take it from there.  Buying second hand sails,  well you never know how they were treated,  so age is probably not the biggest factor and nobody can predict how long they will last,  nor if they were a good cut to start with even.