Kiwing

Percentage of the distance foiling

Percentage of distance foiled in the finals  

24 members have voted

1. 1. in AC35 what percentage to the travelled distance will be foiled?

• Less than 40% of the distance travelled will be foiled
    • More than 40% and less than 70% of the distance travelled will be foiled
    • More than 70% of the distance travelled will be foiled

In the AC finals, what percentage of the distance travelled will be foiling.

Assumptions:-

1) wind speed for 30% of the racing time will be less than 9 knots

2) wind speed for 40% of the racing time will be greater than 9 and less than 15 knots

3) wind speed for 30 of the time will be more than 15 knots

When foiling you will cover 2 times the distance than when not foiling.  Or use your own guesses!

@Boybland what do you know I don't in 9 knots of wind they say they will not be able to foil.

Do you think they will be able to or

the minimum race wind limit will be more than 9 knots?

21 hours ago, Kiwing said:

@Boybland what do you know I don't in 9 knots of wind they say they will not be able to foil.

Do you think they will be able to or

the minimum race wind limit will be more than 9 knots?

Well the prediction is they won't be able to sustain foiling at 9 knots, I feel that once boats are in testing someone will be able to lower this a knot or two using a technique not included in simulation, it's certainly happened plenty of times before.

I also think that just like in AC35 where the initial predictions were that the boats would be on and off the foils, once people work out how to get up and stay up teams will work out how to do it pretty much all the time, meaning anytime the wind gets over about 10 or 11 knots stable foiling will be the norm.

I also think that any time the wind drops to 9 knots there is a decent chance everything will simply be called off, I guess it depends on whether you count those races or not.

^ My understanding is that in AC35, every single team targeted foiling 100% around the course, although there was some skepticism about consistently tacking on the foils. For sure ETNZ had a huge advantage downrange with their ride control system and very tricky foils, and in hindsight that was a huge vulnerability in the OR program (that over emphasized speed in the middle of the wind range). It’s quite possible that ETNZ was faster there as well - separating flight control from steering was that clever - but we’ll never really know unless the F50s start consistently cracking 50 kts.  

But for sure a very different dynamic than AC34, where the boats really only began foiling upwind in the second half of the regatta. This is probably a better analogy to the new class, since there are so many unknowns - but there is so much complexity in the control systems on the new boats between the flaps and massive range of cant that I would think some clever paradigms for levering the things out of the water and into the leeward foil might deliver some surprisingly early lift-offs.

@Boybland what I understand you saying is, that most will continue foiling in 9 knots and 9 knots will be the bottom wind limit?

You also must have much more confidence in this two sail-skins rig.  I feel it will be of the order half as powerful and have far less control.  So I am suggesting their similation will be pretty accurate?

While the flaps on the foil will assist control more, they will cost more in drag too.  This is my honest opinion for the little it is worth.

But it is far better than calling each other names, IMHO

If we go back a little, they were not supposed to fly during AC34 (at least it was not the intention of the rule) and they were up the foil for a good portion of the race. AC35 was meant to be flying cats and they achieved 100% foiling time on some races.

Hopefully they will hold their promisses this time as well and they will be mainly foiling.

How good is this soft sail setup?

You are talking as if it is as good as the wings of AC35, a long way short in my opinion?

I also believe COR will insist that there is a low enough bottom wind limit to make sure there is races where there is only about 10% of the race time foiled.

Bertellini wants more like match racing !!??!!

I looking at that test boat fly in ripples makes me wonder if I should change my guess to > 70%  !!??!!

Watching that frack model go I think you could be close but the lack of power and control of the twin sail system will reduce the time foiling IMHO.

^ We all like picking winners - this 2 skin sail/wing is the puzzle for me but it looks like the frack model foils all the way with soft sails so game on.

The gulf wont be a pond like Bermuda so throw in a few waves and it could be exciting to stay up on foils.