Sign in to follow this  
Roleur

Vic Maui 2018

Living in the PNW, I started thinking that Vic Maui would be fun alternative to Pac Cup for the next jaunt to Hawaii.  Then I looked at the entry list for 2018.  9 boats??!!  What?  What happened?  Pac Cup has more than 60 starting next week.  

Even more startling.  There are realistically only 2 boats racing to win.  Firefly and Joy Ride.  They haven't reached Race Rocks and those two are already distancing the fleet for what will surely be a tight two horse race, unless one of them breaks getting out and down to the following breeze.  

Just my take.  Vic-Maui doesn’t seem made for the “down-to-earth” sailor.  Minimum stability index required is 115.  This eliminates common cheaper boats, like the Olson 30 or Moore 24 (and likely others), historically successful SHTP/Pac Cup boats.  (That being said, not sure I’d want to be in heavy weather off Washington/Oregon in either)...perhaps combined with cost to ship a smaller boat back (as compared to shipping to California, where both SHTP/Pac Cup start) probably winnows the fleet down to those with bigger boats willing to commit the not insignificant time and money?  To me, the event doesn’t seem as appealing as the SHTP/Pac Cup (especially SHTP because of its singlehanded “community nurturing” focus).  Vic-Maui does seem like a good, if slightly expensive, way for a cruising boat going offshore for the first time to have a supportive fleet of camaraderie on the way to Hawaii, not a bad thing at all.

Vic-Maui has been trending downwards in participation.  2016, with 22 starters, was a bit of an outlier.  Here's my count of starters since 2000:

2018: 9
2016: 22
2014: 15
2012: 13
2010: 9
2008: 9 (only four finished that year)
2006: 17
2004: 19
2002: 20
2000: 21

On 7/1/2018 at 12:36 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Just my take.  Vic-Maui doesn’t seem made for the “down-to-earth” sailor.  Minimum stability index required is 115.  This eliminates common cheaper boats, like the Olson 30 or Moore 24 (and likely others), historically successful SHTP/Pac Cup boats.  (That being said, not sure I’d want to be in heavy weather off Washington/Oregon in either)...perhaps combined with cost to ship a smaller boat back (as compared to shipping to California, where both SHTP/Pac Cup start) probably winnows the fleet down to those with bigger boats willing to commit the not insignificant time and money?  To me, the event doesn’t seem as appealing as the SHTP/Pac Cup (especially SHTP because of its singlehanded “community nurturing” focus).  Vic-Maui does seem like a good, if slightly expensive, way for a cruising boat going offshore for the first time to have a supportive fleet of camaraderie on the way to Hawaii, not a bad thing at all.

The problem with Vic-Maui is two-fold.  

One is that it is drawing from a much smaller pool of viable boats.  Excluding ULDBs for stability reasons doesn't help expand the pool, but may be justified by the potential for really crappy weather of OR/WA coast.  

Two is that the first three-four days are spent just getting south to where the popular races start and you aren't layering up with everything you own at night.

On 7/2/2018 at 5:39 AM, valis said:

Vic-Maui has been trending downwards in participation.  2016, with 22 starters, was a bit of an outlier.  Here's my count of starters since 2000:

2018: 9
2016: 22
2014: 15
2012: 13
2010: 9
2008: 9 (only four finished that year)
2006: 17
2004: 19
2002: 20
2000: 21

Your stats show an upward trend since 2010.... 2016 was following the trend and 2018 appears to be an aberration.

It looks to me that 2008 took a beating from the financial crisis and the numbers then match the economic recovery.  

What's happened since 2016? No one want to race to Trumps America????

:P