Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meat Wad

Lia Ditton

Scot raved about her a while back and now she is rowing down the Calif coast.
Probably at a bad time because of the weather.
Follow her at her YB Tracking and she is on FB too
https://my.yb.tl/LiaDitton

https://www.facebook.com/lia.ditton

It appears she may be in a bit of trouble because of the Hurricane to the south and the High Pressure moving in.
So  Cal is going to experience a serious heat wave and  the breeze will be around the clock.

If any of you SB guys are listening, help if it is called for.

Meat, If she needs help have her contact me in S.B.  Guerdon Smith 805 569-3996.  Wish her good luck.

What a fucking joke.  Like all these long distance stunts, that's not rowing, it's drifting.  

Rowing actually implies that you can make headway against wind and current.

22 minutes ago, pipboat said:

What a fucking joke.  Like all these long distance stunts, that's not rowing, it's drifting.  

Our typical weather here this time of the year is usually different.
With the patterns shifting and changing, she is going to be up against a wall over the next few days. 
Big swell from the south, heat wave and winds from around the compass.

It's hard to make a prediction.

Pipboat rowing from Mom's basement!

49 minutes ago, pipboat said:

Pip,

Lia is a tough bird. She has been there and has the T-Shirt to prove it, even though she might not wear it. (Or anything else...!)

image.jpeg.e763ead2ce5f9f9409a858fb32e64789.jpeg

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/creatology/httpblogsscientificamericancomcreatology20110712lia-ditton-messing-around-on-boats/

Image result for lia dutton

Her personal toughness is not in question and yes, these stunts are uncomfortable and somewhat risky.  My point is that all these trans-oceanic "rows" are little more than drift trips taking advantage of prevailing wind and current.  The open class boats are actually designed for more windage and equipped with rudders and centerboards so that in a good breeze they can sail on a reach.  

You could take a standard 4ksb, remove the rig, scull it over the transom a few hours a day and make the typical ocean crossing just as fast and in far more comfort.

39 minutes ago, pipboat said:

Her personal toughness is not in question and yes, these stunts are uncomfortable and somewhat risky.  My point is that all these trans-oceanic "rows" are little more than drift trips taking advantage of prevailing wind and current.  The open class boats are actually designed for more windage and equipped with rudders and centerboards so that in a good breeze they can sail on a reach.  

You could take a standard 4ksb, remove the rig, scull it over the transom a few hours a day and make the typical ocean crossing just as fast and in far more comfort.

Ah, so that explains why you have knocked out a few passages like these. 

Another Lia project goes slightly awry. 

What a surprise! :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, random said:

Not as much publicity if all goes to plan. 

To true, so ist Rasppey applyeng the butte pastte or thet up forre grabbes?                                      :)

6 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Image result for lia dutton

hey..... thats my bow

On 7/4/2018 at 11:33 AM, Rail Meat said:

Ah, so that explains why you have knocked out a few passages like these. 

Christ no, why would I want to drift around the ocean in a 0.5ksb?

3 minutes ago, pipboat said:

Christ no, why would I want to drift around the ocean in a 0.5ksb?

If you have to ask, you probably won't understand.

Why sail when you could fly there faster?  Why hike to the top when you could take the gondola instead?  Why bike when a car is faster?  Why go watch the fireworks when you could watch then on TV instead?  Why learn to dive when there is an aquarium down the street?

It's the journey.  Not the outcome.

Pip,

Sometimes it is best to not post your opinions. If you are inclined to do so however,  others will know you for the dull witted jerk you appear to be. 

On 7/6/2018 at 12:57 AM, random said:

People who do stuff because they really want to, do not post 'look at me' stuff on Stalkbook. 

They just do it and do not need attention.

Yea, true but how much content would us old goats have to gander at w/o media princesses?

She’s hot.   I’m thankful.

In the old days we had Chichester, Johnson, Roth, Chiles, etc. who did the adventure first, then wrote and sold books to an audience to deliver the story, hopefully earning a few bucks. Now with technology the story can be delivered in real time.  Actually paying for this new method is voluntary, which can make it seem like begging. But in the end Lia and others are performers providing entertainment for their audiences.   More power to her and others if this is what they like to do and they can make a living at it.  

People that choose to row are special, and clever folks will never understand them.  Row Lia.  You are making memories that are earned by effort, not guile.