dinghyboy

Footage of Heavy Air

I think it would be pretty cool to see more and longer video footage of the VOR boats in heavy air from just above and behind the driver position. I did not get the chance to see much but the Southern Ocean and North Atlantic legs had some amazing stuff from AKZO... along with the stuff out of the Med would be pretty cool to have on one long video.  I could watch that shit for hours!  Straight line would be cool but jibing in the breeze would be sweet to see too...

Thoughts? 

I quite like those ones, for heavy weather offshore sailing. Tough as nails:

• Like 1

Who knows where to find the footage of Formidable 4 from the around ireland race (?) like a decade ago? THAT was awesome downwind footage. 

My fav was a video of the old Varuna running with all the crew in the back of the bus.  When they launched the new one they took the vid down. Music was 'The Letter' 

Looked through my playlist and found some more:

Yachting World posted "6 of the best heavy weather sailing videos" 
https://www.yachtingworld.com/video/top-6-heavy-weather-sailing-videos-70738

JBC's tags are really useful . E.g., 

OBR James Blake
description

Drone shots of AkzoNobel surfing big waves in the sun. Slomo of wake peaking up into a geyser of whitewater. Nicho on the helm as they surf fast in big wind. Wake shot with big waves overtaking. Slomo of stuffing the bow and whitewater coming aft over the cockpit; Justin ducks. Slomo big-wave shots. Slomo of crew stacking aft. Nicolai on the helm with big waves behind him.

duration 00:02:39
leg Leg 7
link http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/8527.html
people Chris Nicholson and Nicolai Sehested
published Tue, 27 Mar 2018 14:52:16 UTC
seconds 159
tags Drone, Favorite, Slow-mo, Southern Ocean, Surfing, Wake, Washing Machine and Waves
team Team AkzoNobel
video url https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SKl7vV5ask
  • Like 1

Not so much heavy sailing conditions but one of my favourite clips from the last edition. Mapfre cross just behind Alvimedica in the depths of the southern ocean some 1,200nm from land!

The waves in the sky can turn the race course into a bowling alley. Carlo Borlenghi pic S2H Race.

unnamed (4).jpg

• Like 1

There used to be a YouTube video of Bernard Stamm and crew on Poujoulat approaching the English coast with extreme main reefs and a storm jib, I think, filmed from a helicopter. But I can’t find it anymore.

OP dinghyboy is asking about a mashup of VOR footage, so I'd put in a plug for TBRU in Capetown racing a kiter in heavy air.

C'mon Dragon, you know it would fit! :D

1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

There used to be a YouTube video of Bernard Stamm and crew on Poujoulat approaching the English coast with extreme main reefs and a storm jib, I think, filmed from a helicopter. But I can’t find it anymore.

Not certain, but I think you are thinking of the start of the last 5 oceans or if Northern Spain. Don't remember any footage, but Dan Towers took a stunning photo. 

1 hour ago, stief said:

OP dinghyboy is asking about a mashup of VOR footage, so I'd put in a plug for TBRU in Capetown racing a kiter in heavy air.

C'mon Dragon, you know it would fit! :D

I read it as he just wanted some heavy air footage, not necessarily from VOR.

But oh well, here's a good one from TBRU, that's similar to what the OP wants then, probably not long enough though.

On 7/6/2018 at 8:33 AM, Potter said:

Not certain, but I think you are thinking of the start of the last 5 oceans or if Northern Spain. Don't remember any footage, but Dan Towers took a stunning photo. 

I have seen the video...  not sure where though.

On 7/3/2018 at 9:55 AM, jackolantern said:

Who knows where to find the footage of Formidable 4 from the around ireland race (?) like a decade ago? THAT was awesome downwind footage. 

Found it:

Some pretty windy stuff starting around 50 sec..