Sign in to follow this  
Meat Wad

Interlux Perfection 2 part, for deck and cockpit trim

How critical is it to use the  Epoxy Primekote® 404/414, prior to the top coat?

I know all about fairing and sanding and making sure all dust and debris are removed.

I am talking about the areas of trim between the nonskid and the sides of the cockpit.

Currently, a coat of off white/beige is on the boat and it is crap, except the non skid.

The hull is Platinum Interlux Perfection but a shit job also. I'd like to make the topsides look good and then have the sides done professionally.

After sanding and prep, how important is the Primekote? Does it give the Perfection hardness??

Interlux recommends an epoxy primer over weathered gelcoat, etc followed by Perfection Undercoat, then Perfection. The purpose of the epoxy is to give a stable surface over the maybe porous gelcoat, and the undercoat when sanded will show (and cover) any minor imperfections.

A previous 2-pack paint job, well-sanded, will be stable enough.

I've painted Perfection over well-sanded but old Perfection, over gelcoat with Perfection Undercoat, and over plain epoxy, all with good results. No discernable difference in appearance or life.

You can test the old paint for adhesion. Use a razor knife and score it in a 'tic-tac-toe' 3 x 3 grid. Apply mylar tape and press firmly. Then tug the tape off and see if you take any of the old paint with it. If it comes off, then use the primer.

Thanks guys. The previous coat of beige on the trim and cockpit sides is shit and really needs removal. 
The white underneath, I have no idea what it is. It sands pretty easy.

I think I will have many hours of sanding unless someone buys it.