Sign in to follow this  
Nandan

J122 Mast Maintenance

Hello,

I am the owner of a J122 in India.
The boat is 3yrs old from J Composites in France J122e Hull #86
I have a Hall Spars carbon mast on it and I intend to take the mast down for inspection and maintenance.
Since the boat is in India and no spares are available locally , I have been advised to have all the spare parts on hand before taking the mast down.
I contacted Hall Spars and I was told that the Standing Rigging was out of their scope and therefore could not advise on the parts from the standing rigging ,
Similarly J Boats France again has said I would need only the spreader tip cup spares - Tip Cup (631-)
This is the only link that J Boats has provided http://www.bsidk.com/rigging/rod-rigging/tipcups/tipcup-63
Can anybody please advise what parts from the standing rigging I should order ?

Not much for parts in that tipcup assembly, some set screws but a lot is captive on the rod. Unless something happens when unstepping there shouldn't be an issue.

I'm a little surprised Hall wasn't more helpful. Did you try contacting BSI about the standing rigging?

Unless you are replacing rods you should not need any spares. Just water proof (black) grease. Lube any turnbuckles BEFORE unscrewing them.

Nandan:

I have a Hall aluminum mast on my J/110.  The rigger from Hall spars that assembled the mast for me recommended Tef Gel to prevent corrosion on the cotter pins that hold the spreaders to the thru-bars and the screws that hold the shroud retainer plates to the spreader tips (and lock-tite for the screw threads).  I don't know how the carbon masts are constructed, so I can't provide specifics there.  But Hall advised me to lubricate/protect the pins and screws with an anti-corrosion gel.  When I go over my mast, I have the gel, loc tite, plenty of rigging tape, and new spreader tip boots.  That's it.  You may want spare halyard sheeves, but mine have not shown any appreciable wear in nine seasons of use.