Sign in to follow this  
port tack

J121 impressions

The 121 has sailed in a few regattas now, and new opinions?  Great boat, bad boat, or just a typical Jboat?

Newport to Bermuda was interesting.  Didn't seem to matter which 40' J Boat you were on (120, 122, 121), you got there, pretty much the same time.  I didn't see anything about the conditions that favored the 121 design elements though.  

I was on Apollo, the only 121 to race with use of the water ballast. Would say that we had a clear advantage over those that didn't in the last 24 hours when the wind picked up and we were close reaching at 9-11 kts w/ full ballast. I don't think the other 121s and Js were seeing sustained speeds in in the double digits like we were. Perhaps the 120s with the large overlapping gennies could do that close hauled but I'd also doubt the 122s could do that.

To the last poster, yes, most of the boats finished together but that was because the 1st 3 days had no wind. The race was in the last 24 hours essentially which is why we were able to correct above the other bigger/faster boats in our class. The 121 is similar to the 120 and 122 in no wind conditions. With moderate and heavy breeze, reaching conditions though, it should beat both boat for boat.

As far as Eagle goes, we have had some great race and some not so great races so far. Still quite a bit to learn but we love the boat.

Thanks for the info.  We have one by us, look like they are still trying to figure things out.