Sign in to follow this  
Jud - s/v Sputnik

Sailing “bucket list” thread

Maybe your “bucket list” items are moving targets, and change (likely) as you’ve re-assessed and changed over time; or maybe it’s a long-time must-do item on your “list” (also likely).  Whatcha got?

Me?  Simple (sort of): for now, I’d like to take the family (and maybe an experienced friend as additional crew) on an offshore trip (Hawaii) in a few years, practicing sextant nav along the way, and if I feel ready, perhaps singlehand back home.

Last year, a new one popped up on the bucket list: my then 13 year old daughter, a keen sailor, listening to my ramblings, hatched the idea of doing R2AK (Race to Alaska - no motors allowed onboard) for her required major high school project, documenting the boat mods, prep, etc.  This year, we did the very short Stage 1, Port Townsend, WA-Victoria, BC, as a shakedown for our old Cal 20 - a good shakedown, since we realized what needs to be fixed on the boat (leaky keelbolts...) to attempt the 700 mile leg of Stage 2, Victoria to Ketchikan, AK.  The bucket list item here is an extended voyage with my teenage kid, and the added challenge of doing it engineless to hone our skills.

(What made me think of this “bucket list” topic was meeting Alex Whitworth in R2AK last month - he has famously sailed a Sydney-Hobart Race, then transited the NW Passage, heading to England to race the Fastnet, then returned home via Cape Horn to race yet another Syd-Hob - I assume this idea had been on his bucket list and didn’t just materialize one day! :-)

So - whatcha got?  Build a boat? You’ve always been a monohull person and want to sail a multihull cross an ocean?  Round Cape Horn?  Compete in a major race?  Trade wind circumnavigation with the family?  Antarctica/high latitudes?  Something completely different?  Beat Jon Sanders’ nonstop triple circumnavigation record? :-)  Finally get that boat that’s been in your front yard for ten years into the water?  Let’s hear it!

Win the Hobart and bang Kristy Hinze.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Let me bring you back to your reality

hqdefault.jpg

old-lady-in-bikini.jpg

• Like 1

Damnit! Right out the gate too.

:lol:

Me, I'd like to have the Maestro design a small 20'-ish boat that I could build and sail around on.

27 minutes ago, VWAP said:

hqdefault.jpg

old-lady-in-bikini.jpg

My reality? I am not the one who's search history now has......i would hate to think.

first overall A2 Annapolis to Oxford NASS race

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greyhound37 said:

first overall A2 Annapolis to Oxford NASS race

LOL just buy the Seacart from St. Mary's and pray for 17 from NW.  Or join WRSC and get a foiling A cat.  :D

A bucket - should be 1st on yer prep list for sailing

Transpac, like any SoCal kid.  Weird that I haven't done it yet.

Charleston Race Week, on anything.  In SC four years and haven't done that yet either.

Hmm, bucket list?

How about:-

Out to St Kilda and, preferably, back. (About a week)

Round Britain. (Several weeks)

Complete the Jester Azores Challenge. (A month or more there and back)

Complete the Jester Atlantic Challenge. (An entire summer)

To still be sailing well into my 80’s (and you can read that two ways)

In realistic order:

ARC

Fastnet

Cowes Week

Middle Sea Race

Sydney 2 Hobart

TP52 Super Series

Volvo Ocean Race :P

On 7/4/2018 at 2:00 PM, LB 15 said:

It only takes money mate. 

S-H & Solo Trans Tasman. 

Port Fairy, Apollo Bay, King Island, Stanley, M-D & L-H.

12 hours ago, blurocketsmate said:

Transpac, like any SoCal kid.  Weird that I haven't done it yet.

Charleston Race Week, on anything.  In SC four years and haven't done that yet either.

Seems like a good opportunity to trot out that famous, timeworn and cliche (but also rather true) quote (someone had to do it; maybe my role as OP):

”The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?”

:-)

• Like 2

I'd like to spend a year exploring the water east of the Straight of Gibralter, and if I'm still feeling good about things after that, continuing thru the Bosphorus and checking out the northern waters. 

I'm a landlocked hack dinghy sailor with a mortgage and two kids in college, so my bucket list is pretty modest. 

Any trans-ocean passage/race. It's been a lifelong dream. Never done one and want to see if I'd like it.
Beach cruising the Exumas.
R2AK. 

In my Hobie 33,

Miami to Havana 

Chi-Mac/Huron-Mac 

trans-superior 

Solo Mac

Transpac

Newport-Bermuda 

Suggestions for races are welcome

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I'd like to spend a year exploring the water east of the Straight of Gibralter, and if I'm still feeling good about things after that, continuing thru the Bosphorus and checking out the northern waters. 

I once knew someone from Moldova - made me interested in exploring the Black Sea, a part of the world I never really thought about.  I later came across a book, Sailing Round Russia (the western part, and not via the Arctic! via the Atlantic and then down from the north through inland canals/rivers to the Black Sea, I think) which opened my mind to the possibilities of “cruising”.  Probably way more interesting than cruising the well-travelled (boring?) French canals as far as inland European cruising goes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

I'm a landlocked hack dinghy sailor with a mortgage and two kids in college, so my bucket list is pretty modest. 

Any trans-ocean passage/race. It's been a lifelong dream. Never done one and want to see if I'd like it.
Beach cruising the Exumas.
R2AK. 

As a “financially challenged” parent, I totally get it.  

Re: R2AK, you need the free Aleutka 25 (see SA thread yesterday).  Not fast, but whatever.  Basically (not totally)  “ready to go”, it sounds like.  (I’ve never seen it; based on description.)  Free.  Capable. Trailerable. Cheap to store.  (Maybe even useable for Exuma  beach cruising b/c very shallow draft?)

This thread is for creative thinking about those sailing bucket list items...to help everyone get back that crazy determined look in their eyes :-)

I used to dream about doing some offshore racing such as the Oregon offsore and SHTP or double handed Pac Cup but the recent addition to the family will put that on hold.

Now I may move to a multihull for family cruising and maybe give the R2AK a try.

N2E for me. If I like that well enough, then I'll begin to consider other offshore races. I also suffer from 2 kids in college-itis.

56 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

As a “financially challenged” parent, I totally get it.  

Re: R2AK, you need the free Aleutka 25 (see SA thread yesterday).  Not fast, but whatever.  Basically (not totally)  “ready to go”, it sounds like.  (I’ve never seen it; based on description.)  Free.  Capable. Trailerable. Cheap to store.  (Maybe even useable for Exuma  beach cruising b/c very shallow draft?)

This thread is for creative thinking about those sailing bucket list items...to help everyone get back that crazy determined look in their eyes :-)

I'd much rather do the R2AK on OPB. My former EC partner has a new Seascape 24 that would be great. He's talked about it, so I'm hoping he'll to put together a challenge and we can have a go. 

5 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

I'd much rather do the R2AK on OPB. My former EC partner has a new Seascape 24 that would be great. He's talked about it, so I'm hoping he'll to put together a challenge and we can have a go. 

Does make sense, since you say you know someone with a good boat for R2AK.  Part of my strategy to begin to “stare down” my bucket list, at least somewhat more realistically now, is having two boats.  Sounds crazy, and certainly wasn’t planned that way.  The offshore cruising boat we hauled out of the water years ago for refit - we we’re lucky enough to be able to keep it in front yard (free), but the work ended up taking a long time and unexpectedly included a full engine rebuild.  

To have something to sail in the meanwhile, I picked up a super cheap $1000 Cal 20 in decent shape.  I’ve always kept it on a mooring.  Now that the big boat is done and launched —also on a mooring— I can sort of think about crazy plans like trying R2AK next year, and maybe Hawaii the following year on the bigger boat. Probably an insane idea, but your kids are only young once :-)

Having an oceangoing boat in my front yard for years led to what economists rather clinically call “pent up demand” - a case of “time’s a-wastin’: let’s get going ”!!  (So I’m curious to know what’s lurking on others’ bucket lists.)

To make it to the starting line of the Route du Rhum.  To make it to the finish line of the Route du Rhum.  To sail a race I can be proud of in between.  To have fun doing it.

• Like 1

How about just getting out doing something racing besides Wednesday evening races.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I'm very surprised no one has listed being able to lick your own bzalls like a dog.

I think you just did!

A random find yesterday.  My practice over the next several months, if motivated!  Book looks really well done - based on authors’ logs/sight calculations from an early (1982) Vic-Maui Race, in pre-GPS days.

2AA617C7-CB0E-431D-AA7E-3A2D686D7B6B.jpeg

LA to Fiji, Great Barrier Reef, Australian East around to Canberra, Tasmania, NEW Zealand, Australs and the rest of French Polynesia, Hawaii, SFO, LA. 

All the canals of Europe, from Ireland to the Black Sea.

LA to Maine via Panama and the Windwards, Leewards, Bahamas, Bermuda.

Maine to Baltic via Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland, Faeros, He rides, Orkneys, Shetlands, Fjords of western Norway, and all those islands of Sweden and Finland, St Petersberg.

Cape Horn, Cape of Good Hope? Probably not on any boat I would own, but sure would enjoy a cruise on OPB down there!

Club Swan 50 races in the Med. 

• Like 1

Down wind ..................

On 7/5/2018 at 10:43 PM, hoppy said:

Port Fairy, Apollo Bay, King Island, Stanley, M-D & L-H.

Stanley is over-rated - but you should do at least one.  Your avatar, ummm, needs 'work' ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

foiling. big mono. offshore.

Yeah - that would be very cool.

I remember seeing a big offshore racing mono for the first time —Ellen McArthur’s Kingfisher, back when she did the OSTAR as qualifier for the Vendee, late ‘90s?, drove up excitedly overnight with a friend from New York City to Newport, Rhode Island since the tracker showed early a.m. arrival.  I’d never seen a boat like that, an Open 60.  And then, more revently,  - like a rocket sitting at the dock!  And more recently, seeing footage of foiling Vendee monos...yeah, I get it!

Can you pay to get a ride on one of those things?!

12 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Yeah - that would be very cool.

I remember seeing a big offshore racing mono for the first time —Ellen McArthur’s Kingfisher, back when she did the OSTAR as qualifier for the Vendee, late ‘90s?, drove up excitedly overnight with a friend from New York City to Newport, Rhode Island since the tracker showed early a.m. arrival.  I’d never seen a boat like that, an Open 60.  And then, more revently,  - like a rocket sitting at the dock!  And more recently, seeing footage of foiling Vendee monos...yeah, I get it!

Can you pay to get a ride on one of those things?!

I think a ride on Ellen McArthur may be outside your budget.

Bermuda 1-2, the return with my wife, and ideally on our boat, but whatever she'll do it on. Oops, she wants to do it on a Class 40! Guess I'll kick that bucket.

Greg

On 7/3/2018 at 11:13 PM, VWAP said:

hqdefault.jpg

Isn't that the Texas 200? That was on my list and I completed it in 2017.

Jay

On 7/9/2018 at 8:39 AM, d'ranger said:

foiling. big mono. offshore.

Right, I'm surprised this answer is more popular, you see the vendee / volvo / ultime / supermaxi teaser videos. That.. I'm sure and hour or two would be plenty.

• Crew on one of the California to Hawaii races
  • Multi-day solo race
  • Island hop in a fast boat
  • Develop enough skill to be "comfortable" in extreme weather / seas (where comfortable means I'm not catatonic with fear and able to make slightly above average decisions)

I live in Silicon Valley and am very interested in one of the cruising Pogos. Deciding whether to pull the trigger on one, and getting it from there to here would itself be an accomplishment. For now, I'm just sane enough to prefer to sail on OPBs. But I suspect age will take it's toll and I will end up with something mind-boggling fast.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:35 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

A random find yesterday.  My practice over the next several months, if motivated!  Book looks really well done - based on authors’ logs/sight calculations from an early (1982) Vic-Maui Race, in pre-GPS days.

2AA617C7-CB0E-431D-AA7E-3A2D686D7B6B.jpeg

Totally random plus 1...

I was on that boat, on that race, trying to match star sights with Dave.  He was a bit better at it.  An order of magnitude better.  I could clearly demonstrate we were on the eastern half of the North Pacific

While but a dim,  dim candle to the turnout for the event above (nice on Black Jack) - I can only suggest that,  for you fellow Americans at least -there is one short event that if you can possibly work your way onto a boat some year,  you are near-certain to have one of your all-time days under sail.

That would be,  in all modesty - the annual Lahaina to Honolulu race on Labor Day.  78 miles, all downwind frequently in 20+ and sometimes a good deal more, large following seas and warm blue water.  It's like the last half-day of Transpac,  the best part (the warm part with the party at the end).

As for my bucket list:  To see the Hebrides, under sail.

Being an older sailor that has done a lot of my bucket list already I am now into sailing just as Dylan does. Have a new to me CS36  on Vancouver Isalnd, and despite having sailed extensively there in the 80's am really looking forward to it again. Leaving late August for a couple months cruising in the islands.  10 to 15 knots is enough wind for me.:D

My wife has recently been bitten by the adventure sailing bug. 

Our bucket list is the voyage we have been planning for a little over a year.

The NW Passage, down the St. Lawrence seaway, through the Erie Canal, all the way down and around Cape Horn to the Galapagos islands. 

It's an ambitious start. 

#1. Middle Sea Race

#2. Tjorn Runt on  OPB ;-)

1. Get Boat back into the water and go a full year of use without any unexpected expenses greater than a months slip fee. 

2. Sail a race in PHRF where we can cover the fleet handicap split without divine intervention

3. Have my grand daughters come to appreciate inheriting a classic boat from their father who's due to inherit mine in 13 yrs

On 7/9/2018 at 3:28 AM, carcrash said:

LA to Fiji, Great Barrier Reef, Australian East around to Canberra, Tasmania, NEW Zealand, Australs and the rest of French Polynesia, Hawaii, SFO, LA. 

now that would be a challenge..

.. given that its 60nm inland at an elevation of 580m

I've been lucky enough to tick off the Hobart, Next 3 races on the list are the 2 handed Round NZ, the 2 handed Round North Island and R2AK.  

I am prepping for the RNZ next Feb (2019), aiming for the RNI the following Feb (2020) and still dreaming about R2AK. or having nightmares. Both really.

If I get those done, not sure whats next on the list.  Love to go ice sailing before I die, but that is hard to sort out I think.  None here in NZ

Happy to say Cowes Race Week, Fastnet, Newport Bermuda and Key West Race week (seven times)  are all in the bag.  Upcoming trips are back to Maine, then later Nova Scotia, Bras D'Orr Lakes and PEI. 

6 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

?????

Sailing any Laser regatta with my four kids on the starting line. If I ever get there I will know that I successfully got them excite about sailing beyond the Opti years.

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Ouch - that's gonna leave a mark....   Looks like it may be a good race for a Brent Swain boat. 

Actually, if you avoid the bottom it looks like a hell of a fun race.

^^^^ Thanks for the vid, Ish - you're right - the short carnage clip left me with the impression that one had to take the inside routes w/the confused winds/currents, and the clip you shared paints a much diffferent picture. 

On 7/26/2018 at 10:40 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

?????

that crazy Swedish race where all the boats scream through this little tiny opening between two islands and all brick up ;-) 

On 7/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Ouch - that's gonna leave a mark....   Looks like it may be a good race for a Brent Swain boat. 

any OPB  :P   where I don't pay the yard bills

23 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Actually, if you avoid the bottom it looks like a hell of a fun race.

Welcome back!