Sign in to follow this  
MikeR80

Outboard Engine Propeller Guards?

What brands are people using these days?  I am ok w/ adding a safety feature and sacrificing a bit of performance, given what I'm using the boat for...

I'm looking for one for safety reasons on my rib that has a 2014 hp suzuki 4-stroke OB.  30 years of boating has taught me that there will always be risks when you're on the water, but I will do everything reasonable to minimize those risks.

2 strokes are lighter, more powerful, and simpler (therefore less prone to problems). You would have to get a used one, or buy one from outside the US where they are still sold (Bahamas, Canada). Most of the small motors are made by Tohotsu which are rebranded for the likes of Mercury, Johnson, Evinrude, Mariner, etc. 

its a 40hp suzuki.  50hrs on it.  seems to run great.  its a 4-stroke.  there are certainly advantages for the 2 stroke, but I got the 4.

Now what about those propeller guards?  the boat is super peppy, its just a 13ft zodiac cc.  i dont mind a loss of power... 

I’ve never seen one nor use myself, and I have to say, have never seen the need. And haven’t seen any on other boats in years of racing and cruising. 

Haven’t seen a Floriduh Man article in which FM interacts with a prop. I’m thinking ‘not necessary.’ Just shut the engine off....

On 7/5/2018 at 12:25 PM, MikeR80 said:

its a 40hp suzuki.  50hrs on it.  seems to run great.  its a 4-stroke.  there are certainly advantages for the 2 stroke, but I got the 4.

Now what about those propeller guards?  the boat is super peppy, its just a 13ft zodiac cc.  i dont mind a loss of power... 

Did you look at the links I posted in your thread about jet powered RIBs?

Here they are again:

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Use a kill switch cord religiously. Unless you drive into swimming people that will solve 90% of outboard related injuries.

• Like 1

I think that all they protect is the propeller, particularly when the engine is not on the transom. If you suck something in and it doesn't just get blended, it's gonna be a bitch getting it unfouled.

I put 4 prop guards on 90 hp 4 stroke yamaha 17' zodiak , 70 Yamaha 2 stroke 17' Whaler, 20 Tohatsu 4 stroke, RIB, 15 Yamaha 11' Whaler. Seem ok so far  no complaints from sailing instructors. Read ordering instructions to get right size for your motor. Approx. $140-$160 plus shipping, not too tough to install

6 hours ago, MikeR80 said:

Family sailors-- yes, i looked at those.

Hobie- which brand did you go with?

Okey Dokey then there....

I'm curious about the brand Hobie17 used as well. Photos of the installed devices would be welcome as well. (If it's not a huge PIA)

2 hours ago, hobie17li said:

I got Prop Guard out of Colorado direct . I'll try to remember some pictures

Thanks!

ok just got back from Family Fun Night BBQ no sailing unfortunately, but did take pix..

sizing info is on their website, I had to return 2 that were too big, and had to shim yellow

ones with 3/8" starboard, easy enough.

zodiak w: propguard.jpg

RIB w: Propguard.jpg

Nibbles w: propguard.jpg

We've put prop guards on all 8 of the instructor boats at our club for this season.  Will check on the brand, but it's a cage that surrounds the entire prop.  Hoods/cowls can suck things (like hands. arms, feet?) in. Performance drops with a cage, but the safety factor is 'way up. Our insurance carrier is much happier, along with the treasurer who pays the insurance bills.  

so when you run over someone and their hand goes into the prop guard it will cut it off, in the old days you just got a cut

This is what we installed, after looking at a variety of options.  http://www.propguardtech.com/index.html

Their main impact on performance seems to be on speed. http://www.propguardtech.com/The Prop Guard Proposition USPS.pdf   MPG probably drops as well, though the study they did doesn't seem to have addressed that issue.