Sign in to follow this  
LMI

Gouv in a Laser again

I spied with my little eye, a Gouv racing a Laser again.  Standard rig of course, so we didn't cross for me to ask if he has rekindled an old romance, or if it was just one last roll before becoming a steady Aerobian lover.

• Like 1

I sail Lasers every Wednesday night and hosted Easter Laser Regatta #35 this year.

Given the opportunity I will continue racing Lasers but ...

LP refuses to supply the Texas dealers with parts and new boats. 

I am gambling with the AERO. If we can build a fleet before 2020 and the Laser supply continues to. be an issue, I Susie t most Texas Laser Sailors will be forced to jump to the nEw lival deskjet and manufacturer supported fleet. 

If we don’t start an alternative fleet, singlehanded sailing in Texas May die 

cool thing?? Sunfish sailors can jump in AEROs  as well 

note: If the AERO fkeet doesn’t happen locally ?? I will still have a fun sailing toy 

24 AEROs at Veridian last weekend. 

• Like 3

Gouv is THE most ardent supporter of single handed sailing in Texas.  I was at Easter Regatta No. 1, and Gouv has been the standard bearer in this neck of the woods by keeping that regatta going and vibrant all these years -- with no hint that he is slowing down! 

Because Gouv bought an Aero, and because it was close(!), I tried an Aero this weekend at Viridan.  It was a fun experience.  KO sailing brought its group up, and we Laser folks were able to charter boats from the club, which was great.  There are A LOT of people who are really enthused about the Aero.

I am not ready to sell the Laser since we have close to 50 at our little mud hole in  Dallas, and we have an active racing program on Wednesday nights during daylight savings time, but I will try an Aero again.  It's an interesting boat.

It is amazing that local Laser dealers have such an issue getting boats and parts.  That is ridiculous.

I spoke to the Laser rep last Sunday, who had come down from Connecticut for the Laser Nationals to the Houston Yacht Club.  Sorry for failing to ask her about the parts/boats situation.  Got side tracked on other topics.  

Good luck to Gouv and True North. I do hope you will be able to continue racing whatever boats you chose whether it is Laser or RS Aero or both. With over 300 million people in the US there ought to be room for both classes to thrive (and Sunfish too.)

My own personal experience as a long-time Laser sailor who bought an RS Aero three years ago is that, at first, I planned to continue sailing both boats. And I did sail my Laser with the Newport frostbite fleet in 2015 and 2016. But somehow along the way as more people local to me (New England) bought RS Aeros, and an RS Aero regatta circuit began to develop, and I saw opportunities to charter RS Aeros further afield (Gorge, Garda, Florida), and without any conscious decision on my part to stop Laser sailing, one day I woke up to the realization that I hadn't sailed the Laser for a year. (Two years now.)

The appeal of the RS Aero just grew on me to the point where it squeezed the Laser out of my life. And I am not the only one to go through this transition by any means.

How about a modern single handed dingy / sportboat that is owned by a fellow Texan?!   

Yep, IP, tooling and all rights associated with  the amazing VX EVO are heading to a Texas owner with financial backing, a network and lots of energy.

how many can you stock Fred?  

And hey, no more worries that “this boat makes my butt look big”

It’s about to get real

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, martin.langhoff said:

We'll need a dealer and some demo boats in Miami... ;-)

Done

need and address for delivery 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sushi said:

How about a modern single handed dingy / sportboat that is owned by a fellow Texan?!   

Yep, IP, tooling and all rights associated with  the amazing VX EVO are heading to a Texas owner with financial backing, a network and lots of energy.

how many can you stock Fred?  

And hey, no more worries that “this boat makes my butt look big”

It’s about to get real

Time for a real announcement in the VX Evo thread?

How’ s the Evo for beginners? 

What does it cost? 

I really want somebody to develop the $2000 durable singlehanded one design racing toy that can be sailed by beginners and can serve as the official tool for world class competition. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

What does it cost? 

I really want somebody to develop the $2000 durable singlehanded one design racing toy that can be sailed by beginners and can serve as the official tool for world class competition. 

Depends on the beginner.  Someone straight off the couch with donut crumbs in their navel - not so bueno.  Someone athletic or motivated, perfect.  Lots of room in the cockpit and you can go two-up comfortably.  

Edit:  one is the Dallas owners is 60 yrs young and this is his first dingy.  And he is extremely new to sailing in general.  Got the boat, figured out he needs to up his mental and physical game.  He’s a beast now.  

It costs far more than what your sailing now.  But what your sailing now costs a lot more than a sunfish.  It’s all relative. 

Develope that 2k thing, and watch more and more people rotate into other more stimulating activities. 

But I see your point.  It’s not a boat for the masses.  But it’s not extreme either 

8 hours ago, superg said:

Time for a real announcement in the VX Evo thread?

It is, overdue actually.  That tidbit was all I was authorized to disclose.  More very soon 

Don’t count me as onecwho believes price is the SUPER BIG ISSUE!!!! 

ALL Powerbeats cost more than an Evo. 

In fact most bass boats cost more than J- 70s. 

The problem seems to be about helping folks to understand howxeasybitbis to Sail and how much fun it is to ENJOY the neverending process of trying to figure out the wind snd waves. 

An analogy to consider:

A powerboat is like a sound system. Depending on what kids Nd might play Records, tapes, cd, radio, dvd, movies, or something like Pandora or Netflicks.

sailboats are more like musical instruments and range from kazoos to Trumpets to oboes to banjos to violins to pianos to elaborate synthesizers. 

There are s hell of a lot more people who just want to have the music happen than want to make it themselves. 

But... there are also a whole lot who would love to have somebody teach them how to play a guitar or just invite them to come sing in a chorus. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Don’t count me as onecwho believes price is the SUPER BIG ISSUE!!!! 

ALL Powerbeats cost more than an Evo. 

In fact most bass boats cost more than J- 70s. 

The problem seems to be about helping folks to understand howxeasybitbis to Sail and how much fun it is to ENJOY the neverending process of trying to figure out the wind snd waves. 

An analogy to consider:

A powerboat is like a sound system. Depending on what kids Nd might play Records, tapes, cd, radio, dvd, movies, or something like Pandora or Netflicks.

sailboats are more like musical instruments and range from kazoos to Trumpets to oboes to banjos to violins to pianos to elaborate synthesizers. 

There are s hell of a lot more people who just want to have the music happen than want to make it themselves. 

But... there are also a whole lot who would love to have somebody teach them how to play a guitar or just invite them to come sing in a chorus. 

Well put

Gouv - I suppose one could make the argument that the $2000 affordable dinghy already exists in the form of used Lasers and / or Sunfish. Plenty of good boats out there that require no work to get someone on the water immediately. Kind of like the $160 Super Snark that got me on the water in 1977.

Forget the whole thing about official parts etc. being available through the dealers; unofficial parts are readily found on-line. Anything to get people engaged and out on the water.

As you noted, $2000 is a small investment for someone to get into sailing and if, through that investment, the person is "caught" then they can move up to the wide range of boats such as the VX Evo, Aero, UFO and the list goes on and on.

Note in the "Where's DTA at" thread the approach of DTA to get someone on the water!

I live in a location that is very skiing focused. Many people argue that skiing is expensive (basically the same argument as with sailing). However, through good second-hand stores / Craigslist, if someone really wants to, they can be gliding / sliding on snow for a fraction of the cost of a top of the line new setup. From there, that person can then decide to invest in new / better gear.

For sailing, I think good water access becomes the main issue for many depending on geographic location over and above entry cost.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

Gouv - I suppose one could make the argument that the $2000 affordable dinghy already exists in the form of used Lasers and / or Sunfish. Plenty of good boats out there that require no work to get someone on the water immediately. Kind of like the $160 Super Snark that got me on the water in 1977.

Forget the whole thing about official parts etc. being available through the dealers; unofficial parts are readily found on-line. Anything to get people engaged and out on the water.

As you noted, $2000 is a small investment for someone to get into sailing and if, through that investment, the person is "caught" then they can move up to the wide range of boats such as the VX Evo, Aero, UFO and the list goes on and on.

Note in the "Where's DTA at" thread the approach of DTA to get someone on the water!

I live in a location that is very skiing focused. Many people argue that skiing is expensive (basically the same argument as with sailing). However, through good second-hand stores / Craigslist, if someone really wants to, they can be gliding / sliding on snow for a fraction of the cost of a top of the line new setup. From there, that person can then decide to invest in new / better gear.

For sailing, I think good water access becomes the main issue for many depending on geographic location over and above entry cost.

Same with most sports, I've experienced it with climbing and mountain biking, and I assume it's true for stuff like (god forbid) golf.

Alan Crawford, I think you're onto something.  The used Lasers and Sunfish are Gouv's entry level boat, and no, they don't need to have official stuff to be raced locally.  We all use knock off sails and blades on our boats for Wednesday night sailing at White Rock Lake in Dallas, and it's a blast.  We had 28 boats on the line for our big show, and the number of compliant boats was pretty small, I think.  

The people in our fleet are racing for fun, and no one has any huge national aspirations.  If one does aspire to make some noise on a national level, they can find parts in the Laser.

Another person who found sailing via the Sea Snark was on Paul Foerster,  Olympic gold and double Olympic silver medalist.  That was his "gateway" boat.  Your pic is of an IC, so you obviously moved on from the Sea Snark!

Speaking of Foerster, lack of the best equipment did not impeded his progress in the racing ranks.  He used complete crap boats, including a J24 with a 2x4 holding up the deck, as he learned the ropes.  And he sailed.  A LOT.  So when the time came to have really good equipment, he knew that if he could make a crap boat go, he sure as heck make a really good boat go.  I think his results speak for themselves.

The world has moved on since Foerster came up.  Sailing at the top level is a lot more specialized and expensive with coaching and all of that.  Life goes on....

• Like 1

Laser NA’s at Alamitos Bay this week.  They said they have 130 boats registered.

May wander by for a look.  Plenty of breeze on the Bay with the big heat.  White caps last couple days 15-20+.

Anyone racing?

On 7/7/2018 at 4:36 PM, Gouvernail said:

What does it cost? 

I believe they are about $15K ready to go with trailer and a couple options

They had some of them in Sarasota at a regatta - look's like a fast little boat