Sign in to follow this  
DDW

CHS Website - perhaps the worst in the world?

At least, the worst I've seen in quite a few years. Opaque, full of dead links, redirects to the wrong places, etc. I got an email saying my subscription to a chart set was about to expire, and that an update was available. The links in the email take you no where near were you need to be, and it took 1/2 hour of looking about, exploring the dead 404 links, to finally find where that download might actually happen. These days, there are very few things the US government does better than Canada, but NOAA vs. CHS charts is certainly one of them. (I will not mention here the fact that the NOAA charts are free, while the CHS charts are usurious.) 

• Like 1

Phase II of the the Splintering Bullrail conspiracy. ;)

I think that's it. They've read my diatribe on bullrails and are now tormenting me with close deadlines on expensive goods. Even their catalog for their charts (a two page document) is supplied only as a 100+ MB (scanned) pdf. It would be easily legible as a 150 KB jpeg. Just downloading the thing on a cell phone uses up your data limit for the next 4 months. 

I conclude that along with no good cleat salesmen in Canada, there are no good web designers either? 'Course, this is the govm't, so expectations must be kept in check. 

Most of the cleat salesmen and web designers have gone into dairy farming as that, apparently, is where all the real money is. Just ask your fearless leader.

Perhaps your first step should be to update your cell phone plan.

• Like 1

It'll only be another few months and I'll have to pay tariffs on the CHS charts :). I'm not sure we have ever had a less fearless "leader". 

Now, on cell plans, there don't appear to be any in Canada (western Canada) that have inexpensive data or much of it. And coming from the Colonies, the roaming is very limited data and very expensive. 

Sounds like a typical government website.  The main page is usually full of stuff that never gets implemented or maintained because the intern who set it up went back to school at the end of the summer.