unplugged34

J105 Sprit Pole Bearing/Seal

I'm trying to get more info on how/where the seals/bearings for the Sprit pole all go together.

Currently when we extend the pole, a piece of what looks like a bearing (teflon/nylon ring) extends with the pole.  Assuming it is supposed to be seated in the opening I don't see what is supposed to hold it in.  In heavy air we also get a fair amount of water ingressing around the pole.  The plate where the pole enters the forepeak is cracked in several places and I don't see a seal, assuming that is where it is supposed to go.    Anyone know if there any diagrams of how the pole is supposed to be put together.

Thanks - All help appreciated

If you're talking about the teflon or HWPE ring, then it's held in with two screws and some sealant about 1" back inside the prod blister. The material is slippery and so the sealant does not stick. And it's thin and has poor mechanical strength, so the screws pull out. Once it's mobile, it's a bugger of a job to get it stuck permanently back in. However, once it's stuck, generally it stays stuck until you hit someone with the prod extended. That either breaks the glue and the seal, or tears the blister off.

image.jpeg.8700e9074554696d1c03328d1a124382.jpeg  I have seen this issue with many J designs and some do not even realize their may be a breach until someone is down below in the forepeak while sailing and gets doused.