Sign in to follow this  
Crustydog

Roller furling question

I have a double rail roller furling. My jib sheet UV protectant had shredded in the last storm. I want to send the sail in for repairs, but would like to continue to sail using the rail system for the season. Can i hoist up  jib on the rails until the repaired jib comes back? Or do I need to change back to the cable mainstay?

That all depends if your jib has hanks or a luff tape. If it still has hanks it will cost anywhere from $6-$10 a ft to install a luff tape. You will then have to take it down after use. If you want to leave it up then you will need a UV cover or a jib sock this will cost some bucks. I suggest you just take the jib down after use until your Genoa is repaired.

Do you have a local loft? Putting on a new UV strip is trivial, heck you could even do it yourself.

2 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

Do you have a local loft? Putting on a new UV strip is trivial, heck you could even do it yourself.

Don't try this at home, unless it's for a 20 footer. You probably don't have a machine capable of getting thru the patches. Send it to some one who can do a proper job.

Another possibility for the sacrificial is the sticky-back kind sold by Sail Rite (and I am sure others). That stuff is tenacious and the install isn't so bad. I did one for a friend.....it looked a little fugly (shiny white material in this case) but did the job.

On 7/7/2018 at 4:43 PM, mal5033 said:

Another possibility for the sacrificial is the sticky-back kind sold by Sail Rite (and I am sure others). That stuff is tenacious and the install isn't so bad. I did one for a friend.....it looked a little fugly (shiny white material in this case) but did the job.

It can for a couple of years, but then the 3.8 oz base gives it up. If the boat is smaller, fine because it's light. but sumbrella or eq. Is best.

Thanks for all the info. Jib and sunbrella are at the shop being repaired now. I think I will just motor or sail with only the mainsail until it comes back. After my jib is returned I might have the hank on cut down to a blade for the furling.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:57 AM, Crustydog said:

Thanks for all the info. Jib and sunbrella are at the shop being repaired now. I think I will just motor or sail with only the mainsail until it comes back. After my jib is returned I might have the hank on cut down to a blade for the furling.

It's always best to have a smaller sail that fits your foil for those windy days. Shouldn't need a cover as it's your backup sail. Make sure if it's shorter hoist to make a head pennant to get the swivle to the top. Your sailmakers will need a too block dimension to recut if too tall 

Once again thanks for all the info. Poncho...good to know information.