Sign in to follow this  
Stanno

Youth Sailing - alive and well...

Currently in Gdynia, Poland with the Aussie Laser 4.7 team prepping for their World Championship next week. Its an amazing vibe at this Baltic port town - the Laser U/21 Worlds are on, the Nacra 17 and 49er/ FXclasses are here too, and the Finns are arriving as well ... has to be over 500 dinghies / cats in the boat park and spilling over onto the adjoining beach ... and a great vibe as Poland goes on holiday around us all as well ... 

Kids are having a ball dialling into the shifty, puffy breezes - and seeing their instagram heroes . heroines out there blasting around them!!

Will post some pics ... but in the meantime, here is a link to the event.... https://gdyniasailingdays.org/en

Will this conflict with the IYRU Youth Worlds That start soon in Corpus Christi?? 

49 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Will this conflict with the IYRU Youth Worlds That start soon in Corpus Christi?? 

No. The youth worlds will be different classes- Radials instead of 4.7s and the others are not youth classes: 49ers and 17s over 29ers and 15s. 

My daughter is there (Gdynia, not CC) with the GBR team.

Stanno... is there an upper age limit for campaigning a 4.7 in Oz? In the UK it's been 15 up to recently and staying that way for boys but being raised for girls.... on the continent, they tend to stick with the rig for longer. 

Cheers, 

W.

PS flying out next weekend.  Maybe see you there...

On 7/7/2018 at 5:27 PM, WGWarburton said:

No. The youth worlds will be different classes- Radials instead of 4.7s and the others are not youth classes: 49ers and 17s over 29ers and 15s. 

My daughter is there (Gdynia, not CC) with the GBR team.

Stanno... is there an upper age limit for campaigning a 4.7 in Oz? In the UK it's been 15 up to recently and staying that way for boys but being raised for girls.... on the continent, they tend to stick with the rig for longer. 

Cheers, 

W.

PS flying out next weekend.  Maybe see you there...

the 29er isn't a youth worlds class? The class itself is open, but there are many regattas that impose some sort of age cap.

More specifically ,since youth worlds is only one boat per class per country, no Gdynia will not be interfering. 

31 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

the 29er isn't a youth worlds class? The class itself is open, but there are many regattas that impose some sort of age cap.

More specifically ,since youth worlds is only one boat per class per country, no Gdynia will not be interfering. 

Of course the 29er is a youth worlds class... but there isn't a major regatta in Gdynia for it, atm: In Gdynia there are Laser 4.7s (World Champs) and 49ers, 49erFXs and Nacra-17s (European champs), whereas the Youth Worlds will have Radials, 29ers & Nacra-15s.. (as well as 420s, of course). Hence my comment that the boats being sailed at Gdynia are different (in the case of the 4.7) and not even youth classes, in the case of the skiffs & Nacras....

Apologies if I was not clear...

Cheers,

W.

Hi all - i know a few sailors flew out of Gdynia for Corpus Christi to represent their country in the laser radials - they didn't finish the U/21's worlds eg Germany etc ...

W - the 4.7 class in Oz in recent times has focussed, on coach driven thinking, on weight and skill development rather than age ... so we have boys as old as 17, girls maybe 16 or 17 ... but often they compete in both radial and 4.7 for a cross over year as well - bit like the Italian girls do in particular ...  in some cases it comes down to "which european or world events clash the least with schooling" to make that decision!! 

Yeah, I hear you! ... next year looks pretty rough... 4.7 Euros are in the middle of our exam diet, Radial Euros clash with a big school trip  (years in preparation) and there are rumours the 4.7 Worlds may be in Canada... waiting to hear where the '19 Radial Worlds might be with more than a little apprehension! 

Cheers,

W.