no place for headlamps on deck , zonkers red night light , might get a pass , never seen one .

Iv had a couple of Princeton tec headlamps for camping/ sailing a few years now. I have the Apex with CR123 bulbs and another one with a AA pack. I would highly recommend one with the CR123 battery’s, they don’t lose power in the cold, much lighter and if you lose your headlamp in a locker on the boat or in a closet for 6-8months they won’t leak battery acid and ruin your headlamp. Apex is good because it has a very bright mini spotlight that can reach pretty far, most other headlamps only have a flood option.

also they have/ used to have a lifetime warranty and I used it a couple times on my older AA model due the battery compartment issues related to the leaking AA battery’s.

I wear one at work most of the day and have owned dozens.

Black Diamond Icon is my favorite but is over $100 with charging gear.

Been buying the $25 GRDE ones from Amazon lately. https://www.amazon.com/GRDE-Zoomable-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00NIOCZIK

Comes with A123 cells and a variety of charging thingies. They sell a few slightly different models that all seem ok. The elastic dies a little too fast.

In general, features that are important to me-

3rd strap on top so you can put it on with one hand and to keep it from ending up qhanging around your neck. Battery pack on rear for balance. No shitty AAA cells, AA or A123.

Great for work or camping. Dont wear on deck.

Ozark Trail from Walmart. 12$, has a red filter, one button easy to use.

Biggest issue with new fancy headlamps is too many options and too many cycles. You need to go from dark to red and back, and same with white. That's it.

HW

@Dex Sawash, you mention a third strap to stop the lamp ending up around your neck.

Around the neck has been my preferred location for my head lamp.  I found it easier to turn on/off and to control the light spillage by keeping it between the collar of my jacket.

No place on deck, banned on every boat where I have a say in such matters. Red LED hunting flashlights work great for lighting telltales.

As above, avoid the ones that have multiple (usually three) AA or AAA batteries.  Instead of two battery connections to corrode and fail, they have eight and they'll let you down when opportune.

I also prefer anything with a simple on-off rather than cycling through the various hyped nonsense features like flashing, dimming etc. 

Most of my sailing is single-handing so there's no downside to a head-lamp for me, apart from fiddling to find the switch, plenty of upside.

Princeton Tec Quad Tactical:

• Comfortable, not too heavy
  • Waterproof
  • Three brightness settings, with one-touch off switch
  • Most uniquely, it operates with a colour filter instead of a coloured LED, meaning that you will never accidentally blind people with white light
    • Comes with multiple colours if you have a preference

Costco 2 pak for $30, two separate buttons:  Red, Green, off (with separate LEDs), and Bright white, with two lower settings and focus on the white. which really helps for seeing off boat some distance.  I keep spares and give them to friends.  Must have feature is the one-button-to-red for on deck work.

I've used a BlackDiamond Storm for years, think I got it in 2011, still on my first one though as it's not given up yet, I have it around my neck from before dusk to after sunrise even when sleeping, nothing worse than trying to find a torch in the middle of the darkness, I leave it on the red setting so I just need to switch it on.

On 7/7/2018 at 10:27 PM, Zonker said:

Yes

Petzl and Black Diamond. Get one with red night lighting

On head.

This. 

Use these two brands exclusively for all manner of adventure activities. Have an assortment of more than a half dozen.