Sign in to follow this  
silversailor

RBS BACKSTAY FLICKER

I'm planning on installing a RBS powdercoated backstay flicker on my 37' boat. The good news and the bad news are the same.  It doesn't come with any hardware.  This allows installation on almost any mast but will require several trips up the mast.  First one for pics and to scope out possible attachment points for the forward end; second for seeing if selected hardware fits and, if so, drilling, tapping or whatever needs to be done to attach the forward end; third trip needed if selected hardware didn't work. Aft end seems pretty simple: either a small shackle or a low friction ring with a soft shackle.  Has anyone installed one?  Suggestions? Thanks.

Third trip....funny!

Small boat. Take the mast down. Thank me later. Working at the masthead is painful.

They're not that hard, even a sail batten can be used.

You need to make two reasonably neat-fitting saddles to straddle your batten, with a tapped hole in one saddle, corresponding to a hole in the batten to positively locate your batten.

The other end just needs a hole to take a shackle and small block. The block needs to be able to fit over the backstay fitting or be pulled apart for the purpose.

Then it's the easy part, tap into the masthead to take the saddles. :)

We have one and got it because the previous one just decayed in the sun and the RBS one is much more robust. Tapping mast tops in the chair is best done by pro's, the sides are easy but having to be well above the mast to do it properly is really, really difficult; I speak from experience. So, if you want a flicker, I'd either get a rigger to install it, or do it when the mast is down. One more consideration: you are going to have to disconnect your backstay to get it through the bullet block or low friction ring (what I recommend using) - another reason to do it with the mast down.

Cheers, Greg