Sign in to follow this  
Raked Aft\\

j70 reverse roller furler rotation help...

our boat currently has the furler set to roll in counterclockwise, which is not desirable for typical starboard roundings.  I would like to switch the roll in to the other side of the drum.

I need to reverse a fairlead on the unit (below deck) to get the line to feed onto the starboard side.  The space/access around the whole drum and fairlead is very confined, to the point i can't even get two arms/hands through the access plate to remove the through bolted fairlead.

Anyone else out there figured out a handy way to make this conversion??

Thanks in advance...

I tried for about 2 hours to get the drum off to clean it and no luck maybe contact the guys at sail22 to help?

I don't understand the problem with the default setup, on a typical course you are only furling it while going downwind and unfurling while also going downwind before a left or right turn?

T

Thanks Tony,

the problem is two fold.  One is that when on starboard at a rounding if the jib hal is soft at all due to lighter conditions the counterclockwise furl creates a crease right at the tack that runs diagonally up the jib.  This is due to the furler trying to cross the centerline and essentially roll the jib on the windward side.  because of this we have to over tension the hal to avoid that issue.  Which is a Pita...

Second, similar to the first, the jib furls much easier and smoother on the leeward side of the headstay.

I'll check w the S22 guys as well.

thx, 

No, The furler furls in a direction it does for a reason. If you furl it in a manner in which it wasn't designed to it will most likely yield failure. Not to mention your wire stay isn't designed to rotate in the other direction, which will lead to failure. I've done this before with a Hobie 18 when I was young and dumb an didn't know better. Needless to say the 1X19 cable opened up and the sail's luff pocket got "stuck" inside the wire strands and lead to confetti when unfurled the next time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RImike said:

No, The furler furls in a direction it does for a reason. If you furl it in a manner in which it wasn't designed to it will most likely yield failure. Not to mention your wire stay isn't designed to rotate in the other direction, which will lead to failure. I've done this before with a Hobie 18 when I was young and dumb an didn't know better. Needless to say the 1X19 cable opened up and the sail's luff pocket got "stuck" inside the wire strands and lead to confetti when unfurled the next time. 

the headstay doesn't spin, the tack and head attach to swivels independent of it...

thanks for that,

you are right the wire does spin, but there is a swivel so no adverse effect on the wire.

it is so strange that the pdf indicates only port side charging of the furl line ( counter clockwise furl).  I know that there is a majority of the fleet that is set up w there furler charged to furl clockwise.  Again the preferred direction...

It’s easy- pull out all the furler line and recharge it in the other direction- 

the fairlead is in the center of the unit, it can go both ways- 

Just make sure you are not unlaying the headstay wire when you are furling the sail, or you will need to replace the headstay wire from birdcaging after a while.

Bam Miller

On 7/10/2018 at 9:54 AM, Raked Aft\\ said:

thanks for that,

you are right the wire does spin, but there is a swivel so no adverse effect on the wire.

it is so strange that the pdf indicates only port side charging of the furl line ( counter clockwise furl).  I know that there is a majority of the fleet that is set up w there furler charged to furl clockwise.  Again the preferred direction...

Just rock up to one of the other guys and ask what they did. Might make a friend too.