Sign in to follow this  
Hugh Jorgan

Anyone used Petit SeaGold wood finish? Rec's for other products?

Sounds like a miracle product, at least according to the manufacturer.  Water clean up, low/no odor, no sanding between coats and quick re-coat time.  Sounds too good to believe.  I'm always a bit leery with water soluble products when looking for something water resistant.  Link to the SeaGold page if you're interested: http://www.pettitpaint.com/products/varnish-wood-finishes/exterior-varnish/seagold/

Any other recommendations for interior wood refinish products that won't take days and days to get the appropriate # of coats and won't kill the last few remaining brain cells I have left from the toxic fumes that seem to linger for days inside a boat?  I'll be using it for interior use but it's of course a boat so some water exposure is going to happen occasionally.

I stripped off some failing varnish from some teak trim around the cockpit on my boat. Scrapped, lightly sanded, cleaned and brightened. I applied one coat of the Petit Sealer followed by 3 coats of the Seagold.  No sanding between coats. So far so good. I am fairly experienced doing this.

IMG_1562.JPG

3 hours ago, gn4478 said:

I stripped off some failing varnish from some teak trim around the cockpit on my boat. Scrapped, lightly sanded, cleaned and brightened. I applied one coat of the Petit Sealer followed by 3 coats of the Seagold.  No sanding between coats. So far so good. I am fairly experienced doing this.

IMG_1562.JPG

Thanks!  How long ago did you refinish the wood?

I did 4 coats of SeaGold on my cabin sole, but it's only been in since April so early report is that I am pleased with the results so far.  So easy to apply.  Whether it lasts the season or not remains to be seen.

I also made a companionway drop in Solo cup/wineglass holder this winter and put 4 coats of SeaGold and 2 coats of Captains gloss over it. Almost a piano finish.  

Seems like a great product.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 8:56 PM, Hugh Jorgan said:

Thanks!  How long ago did you refinish the wood?

I finished the work just before memorial day. The boat has been to Bermuda and Back and still looks good. I used Starbrite cleaner and brightener. On the toe rail and eyebrow teak trim over the ports, I used the starbrite oil/sealer.