Woohoo! We did it! We finally located a sweet and sexy F-16 Falcon and brought her home. She is beautiful.

Soo, ahh, we brought home everything but a tiller. Oops. No biggie, but what are you using for a tiller? 

Arriba is no longer in production of their carbon tiller extensions last I checked with them. While the fiberglass ones work and for some boats they are the only class legal options, once you use a carbon one you won't go back.

Goodall supply a fixed carbon tiller that is pretty good as well but I prefer adjustable on the F-18, especially in light air. 

Make one! I'm not a fan of adjustable, and needed a new tiler extension and tiler bar for my Tornado, so I bought the carbon poles, tiler extension joint and made it up, for a bit less than buying it would have cost! For the tiler bar, I picked up some delrin rod for either end and drilled it. 

Use a round carbon or grp sailbatten, 10 mm. Find a stiffer one, some of them are rather soft. They can be had in any length and are flexible, so don't break when in use. 

So go and ask you local sailmaker, these battens cost hardly anything.

Used to use Ronstan carbon ones but broke a few.

These days aluminium tube around 20mm, cheap as, bend it? can straighten it out a few times.

Weight difference is not that much to carbon.

A rubber Link is mostly better, but this solution doesn't work with an adjustable tiller extention. For most situations a fixed one is better anyway. Especially quick maneuvers and it eliminates one cause of an error. 

If you are looking for a cheap solution, visit your nearest gardening or construction store and buy a bamboo stick. But a rubber link in, secure it with a screw and tape. If you prefer a bigger diameter than you can reduce the diameter by using a flexible hose usually used by electricians.  

An adjustable one make sense when you are in an area with light winds and it makes more sense on an F18. But if you want one I think the Hobie Wildcat tiller extension is the best. (Much better than the Nacra) 

39 minutes ago, furr_ball said:

Used to use Ronstan carbon ones but broke a few.

These days aluminium tube around 20mm, cheap as, bend it? can straighten it out a few times.

Weight difference is not that much to carbon.

I like this idea. The Ronstan carbons are nice, but they do break. Where do you get your aluminum tube?

the solution to breaking tillers is to drive overhand (like throwing a dart) rather than underarm.  means if you come of trapeze you leave the tiller behind rather than tapping it under your armpit.

5 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

the solution to breaking tillers is to drive overhand (like throwing a dart) rather than underarm.  means if you come of trapeze you leave the tiller behind rather than tapping it under your armpit.

I think you just have to train your brain not to hold onto the solid feeling thing that you're holding as you fall off the back! Took me a few capsizes before I held onto the mainsheet and let go of the tiler, (although once you have snapped it, hold onto the other half as it could be useful!). 

22 hours ago, mookiesurfs said:

I like this idea. The Ronstan carbons are nice, but they do break. Where do you get your aluminum tube?

Lots of suppliers online, although unlike carbon, the shipping cost is usually more than the tube, so worth buying several lengths so you have spares. Also, how tall are you? I'm 2m tall, and find I need a tube longer than 2.5m to be comfortable, but often the max length is 2.5m, so I end up with one smaller that fits into the other (either carbon or aluminium). 

I have an aluminium stick on my Dart 18  (class legal for single handed sailing) and a carbon one on my Tornado. Similar lengths, and the carbon is significantly lighter and easy to manage! Also, if you're in a cold climate, aluminium leaches the warmth from your hands far more quickly than carbon!