rd55

If I get blood on my sail?

Can I consider it a relative? 

#Askingforafriend 

9 minutes ago, rd55 said:

Can I consider it a relative? 

#Askingforafriend 

No, you just have made a down payment to the sea gods for fair winds!

My father’s most repeated quote on his boat was “you’re not sailing fast unless you bleed!”  That is after someone gets cut on a wire halyard meat hook or some other boat bite. 

-Stumbling

2 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

My father’s most repeated quote on his boat was “you’re not sailing fast unless you bleed!”  That is after someone gets cut on a wire halyard meat hook or some other boat bite. 

After I started racing Lasers it was a few years before I realized that you're not supposed to bleed every time you sail (not to mention being covered in bruises.)

• Like 2

Try sailing an IC, I look like a gladiator with all the protective gear I wear, learned the hard way.

Finn sailing makes me bleed from the head sometimes.  Makes me feel good. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tillerman said:

After I started racing Lasers it was a few years before I realized that you're not supposed to bleed every time you sail (not to mention being covered in bruises.)

I stubbed my toe on the dock and then got the blood on my sail. No glory here. But I am going with distant relative.

keep it, as a warning to others of how fierce you are. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RImike said:

You must own a J24

Standard Laser actually! :)

Nothing like a cockpit full of knuckle chunks.

Cheat the emergency room. Bleed out on your RS Aero.

10 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Cheat the emergency room. Bleed out on your RS Aero.

I dunno, T'man. Not sure that was exactly a clear opening to shamelessly promote. And I actually don't get the emergency room comment...

12 minutes ago, bill4 said:

I dunno, T'man. Not sure that was exactly a clear opening to shamelessly promote. And I actually don't get the emergency room comment...

It was a parody of the famous bumper sticker (designed by Gouv I believe) - Cheat the nursing home. Die on your Laser. 

Or in the original Swedish - Lura pensionärshemmet, dö i din Laser.

10 hours ago, some dude said:

Finn sailing makes me bleed from the head sometimes.  Makes me feel good. 

Teeth extracted?  Cracked Skull?  Hair pulled out?  Broken nose?  Torn cheek?  

Finns! :wub:

44 minutes ago, Amati said:

Teeth extracted?  Cracked Skull?  Hair pulled out?  Broken nose?  Torn cheek?  

Finns! :wub:

mostly from the top of the head.  that boom is really low, but haven't caught it in the teeth yet

1 hour ago, some dude said:

mostly from the top of the head.  that boom is really low, but haven't caught it in the teeth yet

Never hold the main sheet with your teeth while jibing.....

On 7/9/2018 at 3:26 PM, tillerman said:

....wotonearth can you cut yourself on a laser?  The only blood I can recall is massive nosebleeds I would get during my summer in fort worth.  It's amazing how all the cockpit water seems to turn blood red :mellow:

I remember once laughing my azz off at the Gorge,,  lunchbreak on a very windy day,, smoked a big J, put sunscreen on, including my legs,,,,  they called us back out..... slipped around like a greased pig, but no blood  :rolleyes:  :lol:

4 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

....wotonearth can you cut yourself on a laser?  The only blood I can recall is massive nosebleeds I would get during my summer in fort worth.  It's amazing how all the cockpit water seems to turn blood red :mellow:

Dunno. It's a long time ago. But there was often blood on the decks after sailing from my hands, elbows, knees etc. Plus the time I cut my head open when gybing. I guess I was a bit of a klutz,

I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

If you're getting blood on the sail, I do believe you're doing it wrong.

Blood in the cockpit, soaked into sheets, etc...That's how you know you're doing it right. Its all about the placement of said blood...

I caught the back of a F18 Catamaran daggerboard in a bad stuff with the kite up on my forearm, was sure I broke it but alas, just another sacrificial offering of blood for her. She's kind of a bitch like that...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tillerman said:

Cheat the nursing home. Die on your Laser. 

That's awesome! I love it!

• Like 2

This deserves its own thread - "Blood sacrifices - how it made you a better sailor"

- Stumbling

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

This deserves its own thread - "Blood sacrifices - how it made you a better sailor"

- Stumbling

No one said anything about getting better...

The only thing that’s better is my First Aid kit.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:34 AM, ortegakid said:

Try sailing an IC, I look like a gladiator with all the protective gear I wear, learned the hard way.

And then make sure the protective gear is in the correct location when you sail an IC! A few seasons ago, after an afternoon on my IC, I met my wife to sail our Viper 640. She noticed that I was leaving a trail of blood each time I was on down on my right knee rigging the Viper. I was still wearing knee pads from the IC outing and found a nice cut that required 6 stitches under the knee pad! I guess the pad was out of place at some point on the IC and then combination of cold water and adrenaline I didn't notice the slice on my knee... (instead of sailing the Viper, I drove to the emergency room...).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

And then make sure the protective gear is in the correct location when you sail an IC! A few seasons ago, after an afternoon on my IC, I met my wife to sail our Viper 640. She noticed that I was leaving a trail of blood each time I was on down on my right knee rigging the Viper. I was still wearing knee pads from the IC outing and found a nice cut that required 6 stitches under the knee pad! I guess the pad was out of place at some point on the IC and then combination of cold water and adrenaline I didn't notice the slice on my knee... (instead of sailing the Viper, I drove to the emergency room...).

so your wife went sailing?

I have opened a new topic in the sailing forum:

To bring in the general population on this subject.

- Stumbling

Ok, have the best (worst) bloody story, and my TCC friends can vouch for it's accuracy. Sailing my old IC USA204, at the fall dinghy fest here, big gusty day, wetsuit on, was on end of seat all the way out when at full tilt the seat slid in so fast I couldn't even react. My butt crack hit the edge of carriage so hard I almost blacked out. Recovered enough to start sailing back to start line when I saw the blood trail on water and seat. Went in and stripped down to find massive gash in the worst place possible, went to emergency room and had 17 stitches put in! And I have the scar to prove it, but only my wifey has ever seen it.

And probably only an IC sailor can appreciate.

• Like 5

On 7/10/2018 at 11:19 AM, rd55 said:

I stubbed my toe on the dock and then got the blood on my sail. No glory here. But I am going with distant relative.

Blood makes the boat go fast.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, mustang__1 said:

keep it, as a warning to others of how fierce you are. 

True! Also, he never said it was HIS blood

On 7/30/2018 at 5:10 PM, dgmckim said:

True! Also, he never said it was HIS blood

Quite True I never said it was my blood! But sorry to disappoint. It was my blood. 

• Like 1