rd55

How not to move your boat this summer

On a overly small trailer with no brakes a sail boat is balanced on wooden pallets with straps held together with duck tape.

but wait there's more… 

The trailer had a handmade third axel because the load was to large to the double axel trailer!

Read on: 

https://www.theprogress.com/news/duct-tape-used-to-haul-boat-nets-b-c-driver-hefty-fine/

2 minutes ago, rd55 said:

On a overly small trailer with no brakes a sail boat is balanced on wooden pallets with straps held together with duck tape.

but wait there's more… 

The trailer had a handmade third axel because the load was to large to the double axel trailer!

Read on: 

https://www.theprogress.com/news/duct-tape-used-to-haul-boat-nets-b-c-driver-hefty-fine/

I think it was all part of brilliant scheme. 

For $2,000 Canadian he got the cops to tow his POS boat away and dispose of it, as well as the POS trailer that his wife had been bitching about for years cluttering up their backyard.  Done and dusted.

• Downvote 1

Putting that rig on a flatbed doesn't seem like a better situation, except for the brakes. I would need more info before agreeing with the cops on that one. adding the third axle is a good sign for example. and what does "handmade" mean exactly? I'd have to see it.

If the guy was moving the boat two miles on flat roads at reasonably slow speeds, versus hitting a 7% grade with winding turns over a mountain pass on a eighty mile trip on highways. What was the story?

15 minutes ago, lasal said:

What was the story?

All I know is what is in the Progress Story. But apparently the flat bed wasn't the issue the way it was secured was.  

The town of Abbotsford isn't on the water and doesn't have a marina. Not that the boat is ready for the water, But Abbotsford isn't know for it's boat yards, either. So I am guessing they were going somewhere else to work on the boat and my guess is it wasn't gonna be a short 5 minute trip.

Apparently, the whole contraption was put on a flatbed trailer. It held up to that. I agree with the cops for ticketing the no trailer brakes situation, you could say that's not safe! The rest of it might be ok though for certain short trips to backyards where a free burned out sailboat will likely not get fixed. Standing up for the dumpster diver seems like a good cause. Go Mr. Diver!

image.png.bb9abb7453d4e9249e6f3327a43a59f8.png

Just another classic example of the fucking dangerous drivers we have here in little ole Vancouver B.C.

Come on up, but make sure your insurance is topped up....

• Like 1

Redneck technology at it's best. 

He "Git her done."

Needless to say he paid more in fines than that boat is worth.

Ha! I'm not sure. Before I let my daughter drive on any kind of ice or snow, we practiced a lot sliding around where it was safe to do so, but we also watched Russian dash cams!

On the other hand, American drones have uncovered previously unknown activity in the fly-over regions. They're finding more all the time.

3 hours ago, lasal said:

Ha! I'm not sure. Before I let my daughter drive on any kind of ice or snow, we practiced a lot sliding around where it was safe to do so, but we also watched Russian dash cams!

It's amazing how many people don't even lift when they have cars pirouetting in front of them

You mean Lyft? Uber is better in the snow. More likely to have just enough tread depth.

Seriously, you're right. And note the nutters who get out of their cars and stand around on the road while the next batch of curlers come sliding into the maelstrom.

One word. Snow tires. AWD, VSC, no, well yes, but first snow tires. Easy.

On 7/9/2018 at 2:49 PM, rd55 said:

but wait there's more… 

Read on: 

sadly, Smedley's plan to expand his meth lab in the hills turned out to be more expensive than he planned!

Why are they so grumpy about the duct tape?  Looked from a cursory glance at the photo to be just keeping the webbing tidy.

that's what I saw re duct tape. they had a bunch of tie down straps but I didn't see any "duct tape reinforcement." just piling on with hyperbole perhaps.

21 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

What did we ever do before Russian dash cams?

What did the Russians ever do before dashboard cams? It's not like snow is a rarity over there. 

40 or so years ago, my dad had a Santana 20 that we were able to keep at his house.  One weekend in late April/early May, my brother and I were home from college on the same weekend and decided to prep/launch the boat.  All the straps were off to ease waxing and painting.  When we were done, we planned to trailer the boat to my dad's yacht club and launch.  I started putting the straps back on and he remarks, don't bother, we're just going 5 miles to the club (speed limit 30 the whole way).  Fine. 

I follow in his car and we're about a mile from the club with houses on both sides of the road.  To this day I can still picture the 4-5yo kid riding his bike down his driveway on an intercepting course with the car/trailer.  Yes, my brother dynamites the brakes and the boat launches off it's pads and through the back window of my dad's prized Lincoln with the back end still somehow supported by the front pads.  We assessed things and decided we could limp the rest of the way.  There were only a few light scratches on the boat and we launched minutes later.  The kid on the bike had his routine down, oblivious to any cars, he takes a hard right at the end of the driveway on the shoulder of the road and was unaware to what had happened.  

The funniest thing about this was that my dad had a bad habit of hitting other boats, incompetence-driven with no malice.  But another sailor at the club had taken to putting little sailboat decals on the cabin top for each of his kills.  We went down the next morning and next to his three sailboat kills, there was a car decal.  

• Like 4

On 7/9/2018 at 12:54 PM, lasal said:

Apparently, the whole contraption was put on a flatbed trailer. It held up to that. I agree with the cops for ticketing the no trailer brakes situation, you could say that's not safe! The rest of it might be ok though for certain short trips to backyards where a free burned out sailboat will likely not get fixed. Standing up for the dumpster diver seems like a good cause. Go Mr. Diver!

image.png.bb9abb7453d4e9249e6f3327a43a59f8.png

That is a late-70s Clipper Marine 32' aft cockpit boat.  The mast might even be 30' long, as it seemed to be the same rig used on either the 26 or 30.  It was not a particularly heavy load, as they were light boats (and lightly built).  I'm impressed there's still one out there.  Bill Crealock designs, if memory serves.  Dance with the girl ya' got, I guess...

36 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

What did the Russians ever do before dashboard cams? It's not like snow is a rarity over there. 

Must be a law or insurance req. to use them. After watching those videos, I think I'll get one.

May as well play Russian Roulette with a revolver in Russian than drive on public roads without a dashboard cam! Twice as many highway deaths in Russia per 100,000 than in the US.

https://www.wired.com/2013/02/russian-dash-cams/

Cams vs. scams

The main reason for using dashboard cameras in Russia is to avoid any misinterpretation of events. If a dashcam is installed, everything that happens in front of the car is on the record, so it’s impossible to deceive the police. Hard evidence is essential as some crooks try to scam drivers out of their money. For instance, pedestrians can throw themselves onto car hoods in order to fake dangerous driving, and win an insurance case. Some drivers also slam on the breaks, causing the car behind them to crash into their boot in a bid to win insurance money. To prove it was no accident, dash cam footage is essential - especially if there are no witnesses.

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

man, some expensive lessons in that video...    does no one use tie downs straps?  a lot of those ribs flying seem to have been tied down with string..

A friend tells a rafting story where he was "holding down the raft" in the back of a pickup by laying on top of it. Ended up on the highway at fifty mph. He was wearing jeans and a heavy shirt, and escaped with some bruises and spots of road rash.

I have quite a few miles of trailer towing experience and even when everything is right, it's still ever so close to being all wrong. And, towing keel boats get's you lots of funny looks and comments at gas stations. "Your boat is too high on the trailer." "Yeah, I know, it sorta has to be up there, thanks." The first couple of comments I bothered to point to the location of the CG, and explain it's not as bad as it looks, but I gave up on that. Now I'm more, "I just work here."

While exiting the Eisenhower Tunnel westbound one early morning at sunrise, there's an aluminum extension ladder laying across the road in front of me and I'm towing a drift boat. No way to stop and I didn't want to be hard on the brakes while rolling over it. Jeep and trailer rolled right over it but i was braced for carnage. Loosing a ladder on the interstate is basically attempted manslaughter in my opinion.

We had a ladder incident here years ago. A guy lost his ladder on the Patullo bridge and it went through the windshield of a car killing the young woman driving it.

IIRC he was charged with criminal negligence.

Had a trailer incident here yesterday - guys towing a 20' I/O going around a traffic roundabout when they lost the trailer wheel and everything on one side down to the backing plate - which was dug 6" into the pavement.

They were standing there looking at it with "What the fuck to we do now" looks on their faces while traffic was completely snarled around them. :D

23 hours ago, lasal said:

A friend tells a rafting story where he was "holding down the raft" in the back of a pickup by laying on top of it. Ended up on the highway at fifty mph. He was wearing jeans and a heavy shirt, and escaped with some bruises and spots of road rash.

I have quite a few miles of trailer towing experience and even when everything is right, it's still ever so close to being all wrong. And, towing keel boats get's you lots of funny looks and comments at gas stations. "Your boat is too high on the trailer." "Yeah, I know, it sorta has to be up there, thanks." The first couple of comments I bothered to point to the location of the CG, and explain it's not as bad as it looks, but I gave up on that. Now I'm more, "I just work here."

While exiting the Eisenhower Tunnel westbound one early morning at sunrise, there's an aluminum extension ladder laying across the road in front of me and I'm towing a drift boat. No way to stop and I didn't want to be hard on the brakes while rolling over it. Jeep and trailer rolled right over it but i was braced for carnage. Loosing a ladder on the interstate is basically attempted manslaughter in my opinion.

you should try dodging them on a motorcycle..      most people fuck up their trailering by loading too much weight forward..    doesn't work that way..

I've seen a man have an argument with his wife, leap into the car and drive off...

On the trailer was a dinghy with it's mast still up, 50 yards up the road the mast hit a telephone wire, as dinghy was not tied on either, it flipped off onto the road.. We didn't laugh (much) but did help him put it back on the trailer and demast the boat...

Also Ive followed a car with a ladder tied on in one place in the middle, everytime he went round a tight curve  it swung out 90 degrees. I held well back and tried flashing my lights at him. But he ignored that. I was glad when he went off in another direction..