redboat

Clear carbon fiber cloudiness

Looked at some of the other CF threads.

Yeah, should sand whole thing down and paint with a solid color.....but.....being a jerk, I want to keep the clear carbon.

Presumably caused by exposure to sun & heat.

Think if I spot sand the cloudy areas and clearcoat it will look reasonably well?

Sand the whole thing down and then clear coat. If it is getting patchy then a complete coat of clear will do fine but don't try just doing the bad spots, it will look like a mangy dog before long. If you don't sand the good areas then the clear won't stick well. Bite the bullet.

• Like 1

Mangy dog is a good analogy.  Understand.

Someone suggested using 2 part varnish which contains UV inhibitors rather than clear epoxy. Is this as stooopid as it sounds or does it have some merit.

Awlgrip makes a good clear coat for carbon that should have all the UV you need. Just checked and they only have ClearWood which is not suggested over fiberglass so I doubt it would do over CF. 

Epoxy doesn't like UV. Varnish over it if you want to protect it.

You might want to clarify about the cloudiness, aged epoxy usually yellows before flaking, LPU turns opaque as it detaches from the (epoxy) surface, generally speaking. Fresh epoxy which absorbs moisture and/or doesn't fully cure turns cloudy or milky. Each of these has a somewhat different cure.

When laying up CF, if you work the resin too much, you can introduce a bunch of air in to the epoxy, it almost looks like a foam. If this is what happened, you may consider just painting it as the air/cloudiness is in the fiber. If your top coat is the offending article, sand it down, but not into the fiber and recoat with Alwcraft 2000 or even an automotive clearcoat like Dupont Chromaclear. 

As expected, some great information. Thank you all.

Will have to work on some trial spots. Sand lighty and determine if the cloudiness is in the clearcoat or in the glass itself. Hopefully, the former. Had assumed that the problem was in the coating. Ugh.

Vegas knows his stuff in this regard. AwlCraft 2000 is the clear topcoat I was thinking of earlier. You can save some bucks like he says by looking into automotive equivalents, who needs biz jet paint and those prices. 

This discounted price isn't too bad but you will need converters and maybe thinners as well.

https://www.boatersplus.com/awlgrip-na-f3029g.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqc3UwP6U3AIVCi9pCh2qmgHPEAQYAiABEgIQdvD_BwE

Which of these clear topcoat products can be roll&tipped?

On 7/9/2018 at 9:24 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Awlgrip makes a good clear coat for carbon that should have all the UV you need. Just checked and they only have ClearWood which is not suggested over fiberglass so I doubt it would do over CF. 

F3029-Clearcoat.jpg.6e0b3a6c441df3ff5025026da4067ea6.jpg

On 7/10/2018 at 5:50 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Vegas knows his stuff in this regard. AwlCraft 2000 is the clear topcoat I was thinking of earlier. You can save some bucks like he says by looking into automotive equivalents, who needs biz jet paint and those prices. 

This discounted price isn't too bad but you will need converters and maybe thinners as well.

https://www.boatersplus.com/awlgrip-na-f3029g.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqc3UwP6U3AIVCi9pCh2qmgHPEAQYAiABEgIQdvD_BwE

For the time spent in flatting back and prep work, you might as well use Awlcraft and finish the project properly.