nolatom

FP---the Graves Constellation (good memories!) reimagined

Yeah, I know, "what is Front Page?", but glad I looked.  What a nice reimagination of a classic, with hull and rig (i believe) left intact.

The Graves Constellation, a sweet-sailing sloop, was the creation of Selman Graves and the family's boatyard(s) in Marblehead.  I was the kid hanging around there while my dad was the broker-dealer for their sales division, and my mom was his secretary. 

And it was my after-high school hangout and place of "employment" (I use that term loosely, mostly I went sailing, or "bombed around" in our launch).  But I got to cut my teeth racing on the Constellations, in the mid-60s.  They raced as one-designs then, and in MORC.  Very nice handlers, pretty fast for old-school hull, fine for local minimalist cruising.  A friend's family owned one, and I got to race it some, and cruise a little.

Very fond memories of the boat, the Graves family, the Yard, and growing up there, getting thrashed by the Doyle brothers and Dave Curtis in 110s.  I got to do some deliveries too, and got to use the piloting I'd learned by taking Power Squadron at the ripe old age of 14. 

Then there was Frostbiting in the winter, during the "70s before I moved south. 

Best school I ever went to!!   I was a lucky kid.

Any old Constellation sailors out there??

Gorgeous!  I think they mentioned the old rig not being able to take the higher compression loads from moving the shrouds inboard, so it must be a new rig.  

I wonder what the all-in cost of the project came to?  They mentioned it's a "fraction" of the cost of a new boat, and it does seem like it'd be cheaper than some of the "modern daysailer" models out there like the e33, Alerion 28, Morris, J/100, etc. but maybe not by much?  I really have no idea.

Regardless, the hull is just beautiful & I love the long cockpit.  At 6'2" I'm not sure if I could get a great night's sleep down below though.  

3 hours ago, spectator said:

You did an excellent job on that boat, it's beautiful. Cheers

Just wanted to add that the stern wake looks beautiful and clean off the back with very little disturbance. Very graceful!

Mike Zani here.  @Spectator, thanks for the kind sentiments.  I was no Morgan Reeser or Morgan Larson, but appreciate the nod.  

Total project cost about $70k.  Could save money on coatings and hardware.  Could spend more if you wanted the interior to look like a boatshow boat.  I opted for "hose chic" (bring the hose in an wash it down).

Performance:  I know people are mixed on PHRF (but that is what I got in my backyard).  We mop up on Modern classics, such as e33, Alerions.  The boat trucks upwind / downwind, which is great for Narraganset Bay.  We have 5 (of the 27 built) of these boats in Mount Hope Bay, which is a small subset of the Narragansett Bay complex.  We all share information and are working hard to get the boats going even faster.  One of the owners is a famous MIT physics professor and is the original owner of his 1969 boat.  He has done most of the sail development.  Superb cocktail cruiser and beer can racer.  .  If you are local, please join our fleet, there are a few cheap boats still available.  You can keep it on a mooring in my backyard.

Interior:  You can overnight in a pinch.  A couple (with 60s or 70s spirit) could cruise a week.  @Socalrider - you would be fine sleeping at 6'2", but would hate to be below for anything other than a quick task (packing the kite).

Some pics below.  Boat before we started, the model design (done by Ezra Smith Design) and the boat on the hard the day before launch.

365679055_velaatmooring.thumb.jpg.14ffe6ad5bb13cddc51f6b8c610b769e.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.36a7d7aa38bffdf49304e2572c8a3c8e.jpg1521461528_VelaontheHard.thumb.jpg.f7506d7fa6a3fe4be47800dffc68b7d4.jpg

11 hours ago, zanisail said:

Mike Zani here.  @Spectator, thanks for the kind sentiments.  I was no Morgan Reeser or Morgan Larson, but appreciate the nod.  

Total project cost about $70k.  Could save money on coatings and hardware.  Could spend more if you wanted the interior to look like a boatshow boat.  I opted for "hose chic" (bring the hose in an wash it down).

Performance:  I know people are mixed on PHRF (but that is what I got in my backyard).  We mop up on Modern classics, such as e33, Alerions.  The boat trucks upwind / downwind, which is great for Narraganset Bay.  We have 5 (of the 27 built) of these boats in Mount Hope Bay, which is a small subset of the Narragansett Bay complex.  We all share information and are working hard to get the boats going even faster.  One of the owners is a famous MIT physics professor and is the original owner of his 1969 boat.  He has done most of the sail development.  Superb cocktail cruiser and beer can racer.  .  If you are local, please join our fleet, there are a few cheap boats still available.  You can keep it on a mooring in my backyard.

Interior:  You can overnight in a pinch.  A couple (with 60s or 70s spirit) could cruise a week.  @Socalrider - you would be fine sleeping at 6'2", but would hate to be below for anything other than a quick task (packing the kite).

Some pics below.  Boat before we started, the model design (done by Ezra Smith Design) and the boat on the hard the day before launch.

365679055_velaatmooring.thumb.jpg.14ffe6ad5bb13cddc51f6b8c610b769e.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.36a7d7aa38bffdf49304e2572c8a3c8e.jpg1521461528_VelaontheHard.thumb.jpg.f7506d7fa6a3fe4be47800dffc68b7d4.jpg

Mike,

Can you give a rough breakdown of the $70k?

I can think of a few items in your case that probably pushed the refit price up a bit: new mast, naval architect.

thanks,

M