Without fighting abortion, what will unify the Republicans?  All they have left is racism and shootings.   Neither is universally championed.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Satinhimself said:

What else would gouvernail do on a monday night? 

Sail

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Going to start texting all my conservative friends to interrupt their wanking sessions. Might catch 1 or 2 in the vinegar strokes.

1 minute ago, Satinhimself said:

FB_IMG_1531182518473-602662.JPG

What an asshole. Rivals his father in that department. 

How sure is this guy is going to make it past confirmation?

He has that "wet mouth" syndrome, like nails on a blackboard, keot smacking his lips. I couldn't listen to his speech after a few minutes.

Just now, mikewof said:

He has that "wet mouth" syndrome, like nails on a blackboard, keeps smacking his lips. I couldn't listen to his speech after a grew minutes.

:D priceless

1 minute ago, mikewof said:

He has that "wet mouth" syndrome, like nails on a blackboard, keeps smacking his lips. I couldn't listen to his speech after a few minutes.

That is pure hatred.  

• Downvote 4

1 minute ago, benwynn said:

Not a bad choice.  But enough anmo on each side for a shitstorm.

couldn't be otherwise.

He should recuse when the inevitable Trump case comes before the court. 

1 minute ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

He won the confirmation battle when he fist pumped his daughter. 

You always were about bullshit over substance.  

1 minute ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

Just saying it was a good optic and it didn't look pre-planned. 

No. You were just saying it won the confirmation battle.

“The indictment and trial of a sitting President, moreover, would cripple the federal government, rendering it unable to function with credibility in either the international or domestic arenas. Such an outcome would ill serve the public interest, especially in times of financial or national security crisis” 

- Judge Brett Kavanaugh

6 minutes ago, benwynn said:

No. You were just saying it won the confirmation battle.

The confirmation will be won or lost on perception not facts or reality. The left will leave no smear on the table. Let me make a prediction. He mentioned his catholic upbringing and that he was an alter boy. I all but guarantee that someone will associate that with abuse and argue any jurist who might have been homo sexually abused as a child can't judge LGBTQ  issues. 

• Downvote 4

11 minutes ago, Sean said:

"The indictment and trial of a sitting President, moreover, would cripple the federal government, rendering it unable to function with credibility in either the international or domestic arenas. Such an outcome would ill serve the public interest, especially in times of financial or national security crisis” 

- Judge Brett Kavanaugh

https://www.minnesotalawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Kavanaugh_MLR.pdf

• Downvote 4

11 minutes ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

The confirmation will be won or lost on perception not facts or reality.

I thought I had already established this in post #33.

Trump has become lame & boring boring boring- He has to up his game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

He mentioned his catholic upbringing and that he was an alter boy.

Uh oh. What did they alter exactly?

6 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Meh boring pic. Was hoping he’d go for that nut bag woman.

That nut bag woman actually seemed quite honorable.

Just now, Shortforbob said:

That nut bag woman actually seemed quite honorable.

Honorable?  In TrumpWorld?

3 minutes ago, Amati said:

Trump has become lame & boring boring boring- He has to up his game.

you know what's really horrid ?

When he does that quiet "Presidential" voice when making announcements that require gravity...

I'm seeing him in a sparkly frock and tiara opening an envelope :shock:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Amati said:

Honorable?  In TrumpWorld?

she talked somewhere about not allowing personal faith get in the way of law, suggested SCJ should be allowed to recuse themselves in abortion matters...a few things that made me wonder..but she's a woman and doomed from the outset.

She was prolly only picked for her Religion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

you know what's really horrid ?

When he does that quiet "Presidential" voice when making announcements that require gravity...

I'm seeing him in a sparkly frock and tiara opening an envelope :shock:

Actually that’s Giuliani, with full makeup

3 minutes ago, Satinhimself said:

You mean like the 2 current female justices? and one is a gosh darn immigrant, how could that be? Get your head out of your ass.

two out of how many? Fuckwit.:rolleyes:

You don't know how NOT to make yourself look stupid.

Just now, Satinhimself said:

Actually i forgot 1 there are 3 out of 9. It seems you are the stupid one.

Keep digging dick.

1 hour ago, Satinhimself said:

Look like all the protesters can go STFU:

Kavanugh has stated that he considers Roe v. Wade binding under stare decisis and would seek to uphold it.

I heard one of the talking heads (Chuck Todd?) say Sens. Collins and Murkowski already approved him once. 

With that comment, I see him enduring a mild confirmation battle and a party line vote. 

I sure like him better than Judge Barrett. Besides being a member of the sect which inspired “The Handmaid’s Tale”, she has the same crazy-eyed look as Michelle Bachman. 

DF2531A2-1AAF-4AD0-9BB1-1BFA0F1D4B4E.jpeg

47ABAB35-4819-46E5-BE00-FEB16703E1B0.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Satinhimself said:

Good reply since it shows you can't count past the one dick in your mouth.

There are three female SCJ. Not one chosen by a Republican pres...

Three out of 9  (and one of those not likely to survive another 5 years before she takes a well deserved rest..).

two positions have come up this term that could have rectified this somewhat..now..trump said ALL his candidates were excellent..

So no one can cry "positive discrimination BS"

Trumps war on women continues.

2 minutes ago, Satinhimself said:

That and she is bat shit Pence level of religious crazy, but hey she would recuse her self on anything conflicted with that.

I’ve not read where she said that. In fact, I did read a post which quoted her as saying (paraphrasing, here) her adherence to her religious beliefs would take precedence over adherence to the law.

I’ll see if I can find it, again. 

5 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I sure like him better than Judge Barrett. Besides being a member of the sect which inspired “The Handmaid’s Tale”, she has the same crazy-eyed look as Michelle Bachman. 

Really???  I think that hand maid things been taken out of context.

She's also against the death penalty..

It's possible that there are actually "good people" even in whacky religious groups.

15 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I’ve not read where she said that. In fact, I did read a post which quoted her as saying (paraphrasing, here) her adherence to her religious beliefs would take precedence over adherence to the law.

I’ll see if I can find it, again. 

check wiki :D

During Barrett's hearing, U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein questioned Barrett about whether her Catholic faith would influence her decision-making on the court. Feinstein, concerned about whether Barrett would uphold Roe v. Wade given her Catholic beliefs, stated "the dogma lives loudly within you, and that is a concern".[21][16][22]Senator Dick Durbin asked "Do you consider yourself an orthodox Catholic?"[23] The subject of Feinstein and other Democrats' concern was a 1998 article by Barrett where she argued that Catholic judges should in some cases recuse themselves from death penalty cases because of their moral objections to the death penalty.[24][16]Feinstein's line of questioning was criticized by some observers and legal experts[25][26] while defended by others.[27] The controversy focused on whether lines of questioning violated the U.S. Constitution's No Religious Test Clause.[23][25][26][27] During her hearing, Barrett said: "It is never appropriate for a judge to impose that judge's personal convictions, whether they arise from faith or anywhere else, on the law."[25]

12 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I heard one of the talking heads (Chuck Todd?) say Sens. Collins and Murkowski already approved him once. 

With that comment, I see him enduring a mild confirmation battle and a party line vote. 

DF2531A2-1AAF-4AD0-9BB1-1BFA0F1D4B4E.jpeg

47ABAB35-4819-46E5-BE00-FEB16703E1B0.jpeg

It’ll be party line plus Manchin, Heitkamp, Donnelly plus maybe 1 or 2 other Ds.  Question is will McCain be healthy enough to come to DC when the vote is called.  If he is too sick to continue to serve, the R Arizona governor will appoint a senator, who will be Republican and support the nomination.

IMHO Barrett will be nominated for R B-G’s seat.  She may not be able to escape the Grim Reaper much longer given her age and medical history.

3 hours ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

The confirmation will be won or lost on perception not facts or reality. 

3 hours ago, benwynn said:

I thought I had already established this in post #33.

Correction: Post #25.

5 hours ago, Sean said:

“The indictment and trial of a sitting President, moreover, would cripple the federal government, rendering it unable to function with credibility in either the international or domestic arenas. Such an outcome would ill serve the public interest, especially in times of financial or national security crisis” 

- Judge Brett Kavanaugh

He's right.

By itself,  I wouldn't say thats indicative of a decision though.

5 hours ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

He won the confirmation battle when he fist pumped his daughter. 

That's an incredibly wrong turn of phrase when one considers recent allegations and court actions against some Republicans.

7 hours ago, Lark said:

Without fighting abortion, what will unify the Republicans?  All they have left is racism and shootings.   

and mother fucking..I mean drilling.

and fk that 'conservative' lil' bitch, his 'laws', and his cheesy smile.

8 hours ago, Sean said:

- Judge Brett Kavanaugh

:lol:

God this is tedious.  

7 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

There are three female SCJ. Not one chosen by a Republican pres...

Three out of 9  (and one of those not likely to survive another 5 years before she takes a well deserved rest..).

two positions have come up this term that could have rectified this somewhat..now..trump said ALL his candidates were excellent..

So no one can cry "positive discrimination BS"

Trumps war on women continues.

"Rectified"? Supreme court justices should not be selected based on gender. Her gender didn't disqualify he her, it was the fact that she would have been more difficult to get confirmed. Just look at the vitriol directed at her above. If anything what played against her is the reaction she would have received for being a devout Catholic....sad.

9 hours ago, Sean said:

Donald Junior is an unctuous  motorboater illusionary, so what do you expect.  He could have at least thrown the word ‘dude’ into the fray, & then I would have laughed and laughed, in a kind of ‘Billy Beer’ induced frenzy.  You know, foam through the nostrils.  That needs lots of Kleenex and paper towels to mop up.  I bet Donald Jr uses Brawney brand pick a size.  So................do you suppose Ivanka and Don Jr will fight over who gets the moolah when daddy flees honking to Russia?  Except the current Supreme Court nominee will opine that the president can’t flee because that Selfish Act would cripple the country. Nobody in Trumpland is replaceable!  Damnit!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Dorkus Abundi!  

Or some other Latin Sounding Shit.....

Followed by finger tapping interspersed with bored sighing sounds ...........................................................Tap tap tap tap ?????????? Snork tap tap tap ...................................................................................... what?  The president wants me to write speeches for him?

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

(OK, I made that last part up...)

Boodle

10 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Going to start texting all my conservative friends to interrupt their wanking sessions. Might catch 1 or 2 in the vinegar strokes.

I’ll never hear that !ding! Again without a sudden bark of laughter.

Ding!

Bark! Bark!

(Oh Christ!  What if the text ding goes ding as I tee off?  Do I get a mulligan?)

My terrier is looking at me funny right now at 3:55 AM....

But it was his snorking that woke me.

and now it’s your fault, Dex Sawash, if that is your real name <_<.....

9 hours ago, benwynn said:

Not a bad choice.  But enough anmo on each side for a shitstorm.

Shitstorm Anmo, when lead just won’t do!  

Splat!  Splat! At 3 times the speed of sound!

:)

3 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

That's an incredibly wrong turn of phrase when one considers recent allegations and court actions against some Republicans.

Oooooooooooooooh!

9 hours ago, Sean said:

- Judge Brett Kavanaugh

That pretty much sums up how it is now...

10 hours ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

That is pure hatred.  

I'm sure he's a terrific guy, I liked that stuff about his daughter's basketball team, and his Catholic commnity. That lip-smacking annoyed me beyond measure though. It was like listening to someone chew on a banana while reading passages from an Albert Camus book and simultaneously pacing around a tiled floor in wet socks.

It may not have been noticeable on all microphones, I heard him on my truck radio, presumably from a CBS mic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sean said:

- Judge Brett Kavanaugh

It is peculiar, and Happy Hillary Nailing Malarkey too might say "hypocritical" (if, and only if, we were discussing a "loonie lib" making this case) that Judge Kavanaugh came to this realization after working for Kenneth Starr in the investigation into President Clinton.

Uh oh...

Kavanaugh also is sensitive to the constitutional implications of regulations that interfere with freedom of speech. In 2009, a year before the Supreme Court overturned statutory restrictions on the political speech of unions and corporations in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, he wrote an opinion rejecting FEC rules that made it harder for advocacy groups to raise money.

The FEC regulations, which were challenged by the abortion-rights group Emily's List, required nonprofit organizations to pay for election-related activities largely with "hard money" subject to donation limits. "Because donations to those hard-money accounts are capped at $5000 annually for individual contributors," Kavanaugh noted, "the FEC's allocation regulations substantially restrict the ability of non-profits to spend money for election-related activities such as advertisements, get-out-the-vote efforts, and voter registration drives." That burden, he concluded, cannot be reconciled with the First Amendment, which "protects the right of individual citizens to spend unlimited amounts to express their views about policy issues and candidates for public office" as well as "the right of citizens to band together and pool their resources as an unincorporated group or non-profit organization in order to express their views."

There's something for everyone to hate here. He thinks the first amendment applies to the corporation, which is obviously very bad, but the corporation he's protecting supports abortion, also very bad.

Which is worse and why?

I know that non-profit corporations can be pretty darn wealthy but I wonder how much that ruling co$t Emily'$ Li$t? And who the other high bidders might have been?

15 hours ago, Lark said:

Without fighting abortion, what will unify the Republicans?  All they have left is racism and shootings.   Neither is universally championed.

The r’s Will never be without abortion, ever.  It’ll go to really weird places, like War, the Environment, Domestic Abuse,  and Product Safety, but they will Never Be Without it.  R’s like to Cry, and thoughts of the Unborn really does it...

14 hours ago, Sean said:

I guess he didn't know that Niagara isn't spelt the same as Viagra.

And Putin’s behind this- so Trump’s behind it- another reason for R’s to move to Russia - they need leaders!  And Christians! And babies!

Free land in Siberia!  Putin is a great leader!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/foreignpolicy.com/2017/10/03/putins-next-target-is-russias-abortion-culture/amp/

4 minutes ago, Amati said:

And Putin’s behind this- so Trump’s behind it- another reason for R’s to move to Russia - they need leaders!  And Christians! And babies!

Free land in Siberia!  Putin is a great leader!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/foreignpolicy.com/2017/10/03/putins-next-target-is-russias-abortion-culture/amp/

So your theory is that Putin bankrolled the decision in favor of Emily'$ Li$t? Or what are you saying?

Putin moves in mysterious ways!  But he could be using Emily’s list as a stalking horse to use Trumpistan as a stalking horse in his bid to get his own church (and Russia) under control.:)  If you read the whole article, there is s growing movement in the Orthodox Church to turn the Russia into a Christian version of Iran.  And Once China starts adverse possession of parts of Siberia, Putin may want to move here!  And there are enough voters to make him president if he plays his cards right.  

Constitutional Convention, Baybee!  Run by Steve Bannon!

57 minutes ago, Amati said:

Putin moves in mysterious ways!  But he could be using Emily’s list as a stalking horse to use Trumpistan as a stalking horse in his bid to get his own church (and Russia) under control.:)  If you read the whole article, there is s growing movement in the Orthodox Church to turn the Russia into a Christian version of Iran.  And Once China starts adverse possession of parts of Siberia, Putin may want to move here!  And there are enough voters to make him president if he plays his cards right.  

Constitutional Convention, Baybee!  Run by Steve Bannon!

His ways are not mysterious.  He simply uses any issue as a wedge to further divide.

12 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

His ways are not mysterious.  He simply uses any issue as a wedge to further divide.

Seriously, this is way way different- how do the evangelicals play into this, especially if their allegiances are with God, and not the constitution?  It would explain, to some extent, their support for Trump and Putin-

if you have an answer to that, I’d like to hear it-

personally, it’s looking like Putin has a problem on his hands that his KGB training hasn’t equipped him to handle

8 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

All Putin needs is a willing accomplice.  Or, a gullible stooge.

tp.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Amati said:

Seriously, this is way way different- how do the evangelicals play into this, especially if their allegiances are with God, and not the constitution?  It would explain, to some extent, their support for Trump and Putin-

So you're thinking that God was outbid by Emily'$ Li$t?

Wow. I knew we had some wealthy corporations in this country but richer than God? I thought it was just an expression!

6 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I missed that earlier - but enjoyed Prof Amar's way of thinking about this.  Thanks for sharing the article. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

So you're thinking that God was outbid by Emily'$ Li$t?

Wow. I knew we had some wealthy corporations in this country but richer than God? I thought it was just an expression!

The Emily’s list thing is a fund raising tool for Evangelicals?  They don’t lose either way in the long run?  

Of all the possible Trump picks This one seems to be the least worrisome. The one on Trump's list that is least likely to be a right wing rubber stamp. 

There is much truth to the idea that the left demands ideological judges untethered from the constitution. Who will judge not the law but the fairness of an issue. 

They are not the Super heros that get to make everything right. That role belongs to elected legislators. Their's is only to fairly apply the law as written. 

If the law is bad or the constitution needs a tweak there are legal processes to fix both.  A left or right supreme court dictating how things ought to be is not how it is supposed to work.

• Downvote 4

38 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

All Putin needs is a willing accomplice.  Or, a gullible stooge.

Or someone who can be more flexible after the election.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/07/brett-kavanaugh-nomination-the-religious-right-reacts.html

does Trump retract the Kavanaugh nomination after he meets with Putin?  (Especially if internal Russian Orthodox Church pressure on Putin forces his hand viz Trump, and Evangelical voices are raised to Republican Senate skeptics and to the Russian anti abortion crowd?)

9 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Or someone who can be more flexible after the election.

While no one actually “asked” you, we all know that is how you’ll respond  

27B982E7-C021-4608-BDD6-E18106BD3852.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

While no one actually “asked” you, we all know that is how you’ll respond  

27B982E7-C021-4608-BDD6-E18106BD3852.jpeg

Maybe if a thread could be started without Trump in the title and actually discuss the pros and cons of an issue you could have a point.