Sign in to follow this  
Gutterblack

Non Skid Gelcoat

My non skid is wearing away, light is coming through so its time to do something.  In my experience the best painted non skid is sprayed 2 pot and particles, but Ive got gelcoat and I don't want to enter the painting cycle if its at all possible.  What i was considering was mixing gelcoat or flowcoat with West 406 or similar and rolling it on with a texture roller. I did a few trial patches on some painted ply and it came out pretty good, with a bit of adjusting the filler amount and thickness you can get soft peaks to sharp mountains. It looks a lot like the rolled yoghurt finish that is so in vogue under the "kiwigripper" brand but a lot harder.

The intention is to mask off the nonskid pads, a quick sand and wipe with acetone and go straight over,  my question is has anyone done this successfully and did they use gel or flow coat? Any tips?

has kiwi grip gone out of vouge?

found this article..   https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/choosing-best-nonskid-surface

and I came across  https://tuffcoatmarine.com/products/   

I'm about to do the same , but I have a small boat,  I was going to go with enamel with grit as the deck is already painted..

You’ll definitely want to use flowcoat unless you’re going to spray PVA over the top to promote a tack free cure. 

Interesting idea, not heard or thought of it before. 

It's been done before: https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/thicken-up-gel-coat.44842/

I toyed with it on some small samples - maybe 1 sq ft or so, but bunged it up - mainly by making the age old mistake of going over it again since it didn't look right the first time.

Need to find a roller that will create the surface you want.  Some articles say to let the roller do the work and also that it can become a real skin scraper if you don't get the surface right.  IDK, I may try it again once I get to that actual stage in my project.

20 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

plenty of the classic west coast sleds had stippled gelcoat non-skid.

Only ever seen it when moulded as part of the build, when it gets tired, Awlgrip and particles are normally the replacement I’ve seen. 

Have done this and it works if the gel is fresh, non air-dry, and over coated with PVA.  And even then it can fail to cure and its acetone time.  It will cure to sharp points, but a quick pass with a sanding block will knock off the sharp points.  

Works pretty well. Perfect color match isn't that important if you do entire non-skid sections in a go.  

I would not do this on a meticulously maintained showboat, but it's fine for a race boat or working cruiser. 

What the heck is wrong with Kiwi Grip? Count your blessings if you use your boat so much that it ONLY lasts three seasons. Then take an hour or two and put on another coat.