Sign in to follow this  
Shortforbob

Trump Stiffs his driver of 25 years

https://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace/utterly-callous-trump-s-former-personal-driver-sues-for-unpaid-overtime-20180710-p4zqhz.html

Donald Trump's personal driver for more than 25 years says the billionaire real estate developer didn't pay him overtime and raised his salary only twice in 15 years, clawing back the second raise by cutting off his health benefits.

Noel Cintron, who is listed in public records as a registered Republican, sued the Trump Organization for about 3,300 hours of overtime that he says he worked in the past six years. He's not allowed to sue for overtime prior to that due to the statute of limitations.

Cintron says he was required to be on duty for Trump starting at 7 a.m. each day until whenever Trump, his family or business associates no longer required his services. He worked as long as 55 hours per week, but was paid a fixed salary of $US62,700 in 2003, $US68,000 in 2006, and $US75,000 in 2010, according to the complaint.

The wage bump in 2010 came with a catch, Cintron said. He was induced to surrender his health insurance, saving Trump approximately $US17,866 per year in premiums, according to the lawsuit.

"President Trump's further callousness and cupidity is further demonstrated by the fact that while he is purportedly a billionaire, he has not given his personal driver a meaningful raise in over 12 years!" Cintron said.

Cintron, 59, lives in Queens, New York, his lawyer, Larry Hutcher, said in a phone interview. The driver started working for the Trump Organization about 30 years ago, and worked his way up to chauffeuring the president-to-be.

Cintron said he was Trump's personal driver until the Secret Service took over.

In addition to the unpaid overtime, Cintron claims the Trump Organization failed to provide annual wage notices as required by New York law. Cintron is seeking about $US200,000 in damages, Hutcher said.

These are the characteristics American children should imbibe from the POTUS. A good businessman* needs to penny pinch and exploit his workers or he'll never become a billionaire (SAD).

*Girls look pretty, do some charities and fashion lines but remember who's boss.

• Like 1

He drove for Trump some 20 years and still works for him in security and only now he thinks he was underpaid? 

His was not an hourly wage position it was a salaried position and salaried employees know they typically don't get overtime. 

As for a raise. If he was making $75 k 12 years ago Then I say he was over paid. I bet there are plenty of limo drivers in NYC that would jump at $75 K. 

The essential difference between a salary and wages is that a salaried person is paid a fixed amount per pay period and a wage earner is paid by the hour. Someone who is paid a salary is paid a fixed amount in each pay period, with the total of these fixed payments over a full year summing to the amount of the salary. This person is considered to be an exempt employee. There is no linkage between the amount paid and the number of hours worked. Someone receiving a salary is usually in a management or professional position.

For example, if a person has a $52,000 salary and he is paid once a week, then the gross amount of each of the 52 paychecks he receives during the year is $1,000 ($52,000 / 52 weeks). The person receiving a salary is not paid a smaller amount for working fewer hours, nor is he paid more for working overtime.

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

He drove for Trump some 20 years and still works for him in security and only now he thinks he was underpaid? 

His was not an hourly wage position it was a salaried position and salaried employees know they typically don't get overtime. 

As for a raise. If he was making $75 k 12 years ago Then I say he was over paid. I bet there are plenty of limo drivers in NYC that would jump at $75 K. 

The essential difference between a salary and wages is that a salaried person is paid a fixed amount per pay period and a wage earner is paid by the hour. Someone who is paid a salary is paid a fixed amount in each pay period, with the total of these fixed payments over a full year summing to the amount of the salary. This person is considered to be an exempt employee. There is no linkage between the amount paid and the number of hours worked. Someone receiving a salary is usually in a management or professional position.

For example, if a person has a $52,000 salary and he is paid once a week, then the gross amount of each of the 52 paychecks he receives during the year is $1,000 ($52,000 / 52 weeks). The person receiving a salary is not paid a smaller amount for working fewer hours, nor is he paid more for working overtime.

Stormy got a way better deal. 

yeah..but he had to put up with trump 

18 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Stormy got a way better deal. 

The driver may have been a good employee but stormy really sucked.....

6 hours ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

MalarkeyLoveTrump.jpg.e7b93dfddf1a7b2986e373308bde9e76.jpg

7 hours ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

I highly doubt a limo driver meets the definition of an exempt employee. There are such things as salary non exempt employees who are paid for overtime. 

I don’t support Trump but this guy prolly doesn’t have punched time cards, and he should be paying for the privilege of driving such a luminary. 

Solution's simple, announce a forthcoming book where Clintron will detail all the ahem, passengers Trump had in the Limo with a timeline to help Melania sort things out.  

10 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

yeah..but he had to put up with trump 

No, he chose to put up with Trump an I bet that notariety rewarded him well. 

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, chinabald said:

I highly doubt a limo driver meets the definition of an exempt employee. There are such things as salary non exempt employees who are paid for overtime. 

A limo driver is different than a full time private chauffeur. Commonly the Chauffeur is responsible for maintenance of the car pool and other administrative roles such as c coordination of transportation when traveling, disposition and acquisition of vehicles  etc.  The 75K per year is at the high end for this position. 

image.thumb.png.b25f4e292678757edf48796accb36681.png

WHAT IS AN EXEMPT EMPLOYEE OR POSITION?

There are three categories under which an employee may be considered exempt.  They are administrative, executive, and professional.  These categories generally define an exempt employee as one who customarily and regularly exercises discretion and independent judgement in the performance of his/her duties.  Exempt employees must pass a Salary Basis Test, i.e., they must be compensated at a minimum salary that is at least $455/week (or $27.63/hr for exempt computer employees).

• Downvote 1

I have a hard time mustering up sympathy for a guy who worked for President Trump for decades, saw/heard what there was to see/hear, and claims he got stiffed. 

1 hour ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

A limo driver is different than a full time private chauffeur. Commonly the Chauffeur is responsible for maintenance of the car pool and other administrative roles such as c coordination of transportation when traveling, disposition and acquisition of vehicles  etc.  The 75K per year is at the high end for this position. 

image.thumb.png.b25f4e292678757edf48796accb36681.png

WHAT IS AN EXEMPT EMPLOYEE OR POSITION?

There are three categories under which an employee may be considered exempt.  They are administrative, executive, and professional.  These categories generally define an exempt employee as one who customarily and regularly exercises discretion and independent judgement in the performance of his/her duties.  Exempt employees must pass a Salary Basis Test, i.e., they must be compensated at a minimum salary that is at least $455/week (or $27.63/hr for exempt computer employees).

And??? what comes after the minimum salary basis test?

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

I have a hard time mustering up sympathy for a guy who worked for President Trump for decades, saw/heard what there was to see/hear, and claims he got stiffed. 

Did Stormy claim to get stiffed?

4 minutes ago, warbird said:

Only once.

5 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Solution's simple, announce a forthcoming book where Clintron will detail all the ahem, passengers Trump had in the Limo with a timeline to help Melania sort things out.  

Now that's a solution I can live with.

3 hours ago, chinabald said:

And??? what comes after the minimum salary basis test?

What is your  point? Trump's driver was well over the minimum at 75K per year. On average there are 2,087 work hours in one year. His salary was $36 per hour. 

There is typically a lot of down time in this job. On call is not always equivalent to overtime. I don't think Trump is a villain here but he may indeed owe the guy some money. The court will decide. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, warbird said:

Unlikely.

What is your  point? Trump's driver was well over the minimum at 75K per year. On average there are 2,087 work hours in one year. His salary was $36 per hour. 

There is typically a lot of down time in this job. On call is not always equivalent to overtime. I don't think Trump is a villain here but he may indeed owe the guy some money. The court will decide. 

My point is a driver is unlikely to meet the criteria of an exempt employee. 

38 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Was he employeed by XYZ Limo Service, Trump Properties or specifically by Donald Trump?

1 hour ago, chinabald said:

A driver yes but as I indicated a full time private chauffeur is usually much more and manages the transportation needs of the household. What the case was here is unknown so maybe he has a case and maybe he does not. But villainizing Trump given the facts we currently know is just the Daily Partisan Bull Shit Outrage talking point. 

8 hours ago, warbird said:

It was only a small stiffing. 

On 7/10/2018 at 11:08 PM, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

A driver yes but as I indicated a full time private chauffeur is usually much more and manages the transportation needs of the household. What the case was here is unknown so maybe he has a case and maybe he does not. But villainizing Trump given the facts we currently know is just the Daily Partisan Bull Shit Outrage talking point. 

Please show me where I villainized trump?  All I have done is call into question your knowledge of what an exempt employee is. And just for giggles. Where on the Partisan outrage meter do you think I fall?  

33 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Please show me where I villainized trump?  All I have done is call into question your knowledge of what an exempt employee is. And just for giggles. Where on the Partisan outrage meter do you think I fall?  

I don't know if you did or didn't. Nor do care where you fall on any scale. I was generalizing about the thread's intent.  "Trump Stiffs his driver of 25 years."

I would have said "Your villainizing..." if it was directed at you. 

Was the driver an indentured servant, unable to seek other employment opportunities?