Sign in to follow this  
LoganB

Getting a pre purchase survey out of state?

I'm looking at getting a pre purchase survey for boat located on the east coast. I live In Hawaii and wont be able to be there for the survey. Can someone share the process of how to arrange this? 

There seems to be a haul out facility very close to where the boat is located. The boat is in Urbanna Virginia if anyone knows a good surveyor in the area.

You're wise to hire your own surveyor.  Dealer recommended surveyors rely on repeat business and don't want to screw up the deal.  I used to sail out of Urbanna and it's a pretty sleepy little burg.  I've reached out to a rigger friend in Deltaville for recommendations for you.  If we can't find you one there, there are plenty of surveyors in Hampton and Annapolis, both an easy drive.  What boat are you looking at?

• Like 1

Thank you sir! The boat Is a Cartwright 36. Not a lot of information about the boat to be found. Has some questionable teak decks as well. I'm considering flying out to be there for the survey if I can get it done on a weekend. About a 12 thousand mile round trip for me and tickets are about 1k.

The boat has me worried because there's so little information on it but it looks like it would be a great boat for my purposes.

I just received a copy of a survey done by Tranquil Waters Marine (yea corney) Donald McCann SAMS-AMS

Impressive detail and photos.  White Stone VA, pretty close 

• Like 1

I know this is not answering your question, but are you planning to bring her to Hawaii? for what it is worth: I am not sure I would want to buy a boat 6k miles away...