Sign in to follow this  
Shortforbob

The little room debate again

Nah..not boys on girls toilets are the reverse.

The whole shebang.

Women calling security when men change their kiddies nappies or bottle feed a baby in the parenting room.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-06/father-labelled-sicko-for-changing-child-in-parents-room/9022918

Why, if there's no space for a disabled toilet are they always put in the women's toilet?

Should the real focus on all this basically be "get over yourselves, live isn't always arranged for your comfort level"

47 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Nah..not boys on girls toilets are the reverse.

The whole shebang.

Women calling security when men change their kiddies nappies or bottle feed a baby in the parenting room.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-06/father-labelled-sicko-for-changing-child-in-parents-room/9022918

Why, if there's no space for a disabled toilet are they always put in the women's toilet?

Should the real focus on all this basically be "get over yourselves, live isn't always arranged for your comfort level"

While I was in Australia, the very first thing I noticed that was very different from Canada was, the first time I saw an Aussi family roll into a pub, and park the babies pram under the table, beside their mates pram, while the older young children ran around, and the parents had beers and chain smoked..........

now, dont get me wrong Australia is a beautiful place... just a little culturally odd.

I've seen family changing rooms here for swimming pools, but never family diaper changing rooms. I'm sure they're around, I've never seen one.

When our oldest was in diapers, most of the men's rooms didn't have a flip down diaper changing table, I changed a lot of them with agility, it wasn't easy. By the second daughter, they started to show up in men's rooms, by the third, they were common. And bonus the tables in the men's rooms were usually clean, probably due to fewer dad's using them. But also, I suspect that the kind of dad who changes diapers is also the kind of dad who invests a wipe or two to clean off the table. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keith said:

While I was in Australia, the very first thing I noticed that was very different from Canada was, the first time I saw an Aussi family roll into a pub, and park the babies pram under the table, beside their mates pram, while the older young children ran around, and the parents had beers and chain smoked..........

now, dont get me wrong Australia is a beautiful place... just a little culturally odd.

The Scandinavians and Danes are odd too, they tend to park the carriages outside the bar, containing baby, while they go inside and drink and eat. It caused a mini shitstorm in NYC many years back, the parents were like "Huh? This is what everyone does back home." The take there seems to be that babies need fresh air rather than stale indoor air.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/1997/05/15/nyregion/danish-mother-is-reunited-with-her-baby.html

5 minutes ago, Keith said:

Yeah,to you maybe.

The UK banned kids from pubs until relatively recently. I remember being told 24 years ago the I couldn't take my child in, even though most had a nice lounge with open fires, a sunday roast and nothing more threatening than a pokie machine and a darts board.

And kids in aussie pubs is  relatively new (i think they've always been allowed, but in the bad old days, pubs were for Men, students and trollops..nice women stayed home with the kiddies)

Other countries OTOH..that actually don't have "PUBS"..but rather cafe's..where getting pissed is not the objective..have hosted families for centuries.

12 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I've seen family changing rooms here for swimming pools, but never family diaper changing rooms. I'm sure they're around, I've never seen one.

When our oldest was in diapers, most of the men's rooms didn't have a flip down diaper changing table, I changed a lot of them with agility, it wasn't easy. By the second daughter, they started to show up in men's rooms, by the third, they were common. And bonus the tables in the men's rooms were usually clean, probably due to fewer dad's using them. But also, I suspect that the kind of dad who changes diapers is also the kind of dad who invests a wipe or two to clean off the table. 

You've never seen a separate parenting room?

Usually contains a toilet.with kiddie seat.

a change table...and the larger ones in big department stores have a seat or a couch..well away from the loo and nappy bin.

We had a bit of a kerfuffle at one of out small branch libraries when the change table was put in the staff loo.

Though the stalls were totally separate from the main room..actually floor to ceiling walls and door.. the change table was in the wash area..IN THE STAFF TOILET. Some women objected to dads using it...so..their babies ended up in a draughty corridor next to the public toilets..go figure that one.

(Actually it got moved back to the staff toilet pretty fast .

Then they complained about having to ask for the key:rolleyes:)

He should have called security on the stupid cunt and had her charged with assault.

3 hours ago, Keith said:

While I was in Australia, the very first thing I noticed that was very different from Canada was, the first time I saw an Aussi  bogan family roll into a pub, and park the babies pram under the table, beside their mates pram, while the older young children ran around, and the parents had beers and chain smoked..........

Fixed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

We had a bit of a kerfuffle at one of out small branch libraries when the change table was put in the staff loo.

Though the stalls were totally separate from the main room..actually floor to ceiling walls and door.. the change table was in the wash area..IN THE STAFF TOILET. Some women objected to dads using it...so..their babies ended up in a draughty corridor next to the public toilets..go figure that one.

Typical bleeding heart feminist bullshit?

I regularly use the parents rooms in shopping centres, and other places, to change nappies of now Little Miss 2. Never had a problem, though am on the alert for someone to have a go about the supposed inappropriateness.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Typical bleeding heart feminist bullshit?

I'd call it typical entitled Albert Park bullshit :)

Same types ring the polis when they see men on parkbenches near playgrounds.

I do sympathise..what are you gonna do about it?

3 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

And kids in aussie pubs is  relatively new (i think they've always been allowed, but in the bad old days, pubs were for Men, students and trollops..nice women stayed home with the kiddies)

What were you here in 1950? For fucks sake Meli your understanding of Australian society seems to come from  watching old Chips Raffity movies. You never saw the Australia you describe.

1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

What were you here in 1950? For fucks sake Meli your understanding of Australian society seems to come from  watching old Chips Raffity movies. You never saw the Australia you describe.

Piss off LB :P

I WORKED in aussie pubs from 78 to 81..All sorts of Pubs..families never went in except to the all you can scoff buffets on sundays.

11 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Piss off LB :P

I WORKED in aussie pubs from 78 to 81..All sorts of Pubs..families never went in except to the all you can scoff buffets on sundays.

Must have been nice pubs. I met my wife at a pub in the early 80's. I hope you are not suggesting she was a trollop? True she showed questionable long term judgement when it came to marring me, but the regatta hotel back then was full of 'chicks'. I hope that term offends someone.

Maybe Qld had different social protocols. 

Families did not take kids in pubs in Melbourne back then.

(The Trollops comment was a tad tongue in cheek)

But..the channel 7 bar didn't even have a ladies loo in 1981 (public bar)

15 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Maybe Qld had different social protocols. 

Families did not take kids in pubs in Melbourne back then.

I grew up (mostly) in Sydney.

Bogans and similar undesirables drank in the public bar.

The more upmarket types & women drank in the lounge bar. And paid a higher price per drink.

This going back to about 1967, when I could pass for 18.....

FKT

2 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I grew up (mostly) in Sydney.

Bogans and similar undesirables drank in the public bar.

The more upmarket types & women drank in the lounge bar. And paid a higher price per drink.

This going back to about 1967, when I could pass for 18.....

FKT

And kids?

Just now, Shortforbob said:

And kids?

I didn't have any back then, fortunately, but I'm pretty sure they weren't allowed to imbibe alcohol regardless of what bar they were in.....

FKT

11 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I didn't have any back then, fortunately, but I'm pretty sure they weren't allowed to imbibe alcohol regardless of what bar they were in.....

FKT

I meant, were kids generally taken to pubs back then by their parents.

I never saw it in melbourne in the late 70's or early eighties..except for as I said..the sunday buffets and sometimes the beer gardens..but the latter were not really a thing down here until mid 80's.

And I worked in quite a few in the inner burbs and even the country.

2 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I meant, were kids generally taken to pubs back then by their parents.

I never saw it in melbourne in the late 70's or early eighties..except for as I said..the sunday buffets and sometimes the beer gardens..but the latter were not really a thing down here until mid 80's.

And I worked in quite a few in the inner burbs and even the country.

Look, it really depends. Places like the old & unlamented Hotel Parramatta AKA the Bucket of Blood (6 AM early opener), no. Saturday afternoon punch-ups over a pool game the specialty of the house. Country & semi-country pubs (the Newport Inn qualified back in them days) yes. Country pubs, also yes. Generally in the beer gardens.

Thanks to the licensing laws we had to drive to Newport or Penrith (or I think Camden but nobody wanted to go there) to get a drink on a Sunday - get a certain distance from the GPO and you could sign in as a 'bona fide traveler'. The Newport Inn was good because we could go surfing & diving at Palm Beach then wash the salt out on the way home.

FKT

In Queensland Sunday trading hours back in the day were 11am to 1pm and then 4-6 pm. It was quite a swill. If you wanted a drink between 1 and 4 you had to go out to the airport.

19 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Yeah,to you maybe.

The UK banned kids from pubs until relatively recently. I remember being told 24 years ago the I couldn't take my child in, even though most had a nice lounge with open fires, a sunday roast and nothing more threatening than a pokie machine and a darts board.

Other countries OTOH..that actually don't have "PUBS"..but rather cafe's..where getting pissed is not the objective..have hosted families for centuries.

And it was a very sad day when they did let them in. 

• Like 1

In NSW in the 70/80’s as a child we were not allowed in the front bar of a pub or club, but were often allowed in the lounge ( if they pub had one). The publicans soon realised they could make a buck or two by putting in pool tables, jukeboxes and space invaders. Sadly they have since replaced these with poker machines. 

Now in Victoria, my 6 year old can enter a pub with me but cannot order a drink from the bar unaccompanied. A weekly treat for her after her music lesson is to sit at the bar with me at The Elephant and Castle. We have a running joke with the bar staff as I ask for an apple juice and a bag of twisties for me and a pint of ale for her.

17 hours ago, albanyguy said:

I regularly use the parents rooms in shopping centres, and other places, to change nappies of now Little Miss 2. Never had a problem, though am on the alert for someone to have a go about the supposed inappropriateness.

Exactly! They would rightly get the same fury from me as they would have got from my wife if they had said something about her breastfeeding. Some people are just fucked.