Sacha Baron Cohen is to return to TV with a new satirical comedy series that will begin next week on Channel 4 in the UK and Showtime in the US .

The Borat star has been secretly filming the seven episodes for a year.

The show, which premieres on Showtime on Sunday, marks his first full series for TV since Da Ali G Show in 2004.

Showtime said Who is America? "will explore the diverse individuals... across the political and cultural spectrum" in the US.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44777857

https://twitter.com/SachaBaronCohen/status/1014553587903442944

https://twitter.com/SachaBaronCohen/status/1016082033099997184

12 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Never cared for Ali G

in small doses......

Stolen Valor.  Prosecute the motherfucker.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/258

Public Law No: 113-12 (06/03/2013)

(This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The summary of that version is repeated here.)

Stolen Valor Act of 2013 - Amends the federal criminal code to rewrite provisions relating to fraudulent claims about military service to subject to a fine, imprisonment for not more than one year, or both an individual who, with intent to obtain money, property, or other tangible benefit, fraudulently holds himself or herself out to be a recipient of:

• a Congressional Medal of Honor,
  • a distinguished-service cross,
  • a Navy cross,
  • an Air Force cross,
  • a silver star,
  • a Purple Heart,
  • a Combat Infantryman's Badge,
  • a Combat Action Badge,
  • a Combat Medical Badge,
  • a Combat Action Ribbon,
  • a Combat Action Medal, or
  • any replacement or duplicate medal for such medal as authorized by law.
  • Like 1

The look on Bob Barr’s face in Borat buys Cohen enough goodwill with me to do what he wants without complaint. That was some funny shite. 

18 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

(This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The summary of that version is repeated here.)

Stolen Valor Act of 2013 - Amends the federal criminal code to rewrite provisions relating to fraudulent claims about military service to subject to a fine, imprisonment for not more than one year, or both an individual who, with intent to obtain money, property, or other tangible benefit, fraudulently holds himself or herself out to be a recipient of:

• a Navy cross,
  • an Air Force cross,
  • a silver star,
  • a Purple Heart,
  • a Combat Action Badge,

WTF does this have to do with Borat?    What am I missing? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Asking to be informed - cite? 

if you care she's playing the rightwing victim in the news. clearly the faithful are being whipped up into a patriotic fervor to defend the stupid (as he's an entertainer - clearly - I fail to see why I should be prosecuted for this anymore than any actor portraying a service member on screen should be prosecuted)

Just now, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

if you care she's playing the rightwing victim in the news. clearly the faithful are being whipped up into a patriotic fervor to defend the stupid

Hence the request for a cite - I'd like to see the source and make up my own mind.    I'd think that anyone appearing as a known entity in a movie would have to sign some kind of consent, but, thinking about "Roger and Me" makes me question that assumption.   

6 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Hence the request for a cite - I'd like to see the source and make up my own mind.    I'd think that anyone appearing as a known entity in a movie would have to sign some kind of consent, but, thinking about "Roger and Me" makes me question that assumption.   

the lure of continued money & fame - for that's what Palin has transformed attention into - makes people easy to dupe. apparently she thought she was appearing in a "showtime historical documentary" or some such.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/arts/television/sarah-palin-sacha-baron-cohen.html

3 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

christ you only have to google Ali G Palin

http://time.com/5335212/sarah-palin-pranked-sacha-baron-cohen/

Ha careful what you ask for..I just found more trump violence

Cohen’s other teaser video on Twitter is titled “A Message From Donald J. Trump.” It starts off with footage of President Donald Trump insulting Cohen. “This 3rd rate character named Sacha Baron Cohen, I only wish that he would have been punched in the face so many times right now, he’d be in a hospital,” Trump says in the video. “It was disgraceful he oughta be fired immediately. Sacha Baron Cohen go to school, learn about being funny. You don’t’ know sh*t

4 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

the lure of continued money & fame - for that's what Palin has transformed attention into - makes people easy to dupe. apparently she thought she was appearing in a "showtime historical documentary" or some such.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/arts/television/sarah-palin-sacha-baron-cohen.html

I don't think that that rises to the level of "stolen valor" - more like opportunisitic impersonation, and Mrs Palin should have been smart enough to see through it and "play back", though I can see myself getting pissed too, if someone was trying to use false pretenses to besmirch me or something I believed in. 

22 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

if you care she's playing the rightwing victim in the news. clearly the faithful are being whipped up into a patriotic fervor to defend the stupid (as he's an entertainer - clearly - I fail to see why I should be prosecuted for this anymore than any actor portraying a service member on screen should be prosecuted)

I think its pretty obvious what the difference is. When you go to a movie and see Forrest Gump wearing the medal of honor you know its a character in a movie. If someone walked up to you on the street and asked for you to help him/her out based on his/her service, and used a purple heart to tug at your heart (and purse) strings its different.

Now that all said, when someone doing satire does it, it feels like its somewhere in the middle. Harder to pin point. But if lying about service got him a tangible benefit (the interview) then perhaps its a violation.

21 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Ha careful what you ask for..I just found more trump violence

Cohen’s other teaser video on Twitter is titled “A Message From Donald J. Trump.” It starts off with footage of President Donald Trump insulting Cohen. “This 3rd rate character named Sacha Baron Cohen, I only wish that he would have been punched in the face so many times right now, he’d be in a hospital,” Trump says in the video. “It was disgraceful he oughta be fired immediately. Sacha Baron Cohen go to school, learn about being funny. You don’t’ know sh*t

I linked it in the first post. ;)

2 hours ago, Saorsa said:

• a Navy cross,
  • an Air Force cross,
  • a silver star,
  • a Purple Heart,
  • a Combat Action Badge,

Maybe you could buy a sense of humor with all those SS checks. Jesus.

• Like 1

I think he'd be pretty stoked if someone would arrest him.  Good way to make a hundred million in box office receipts

7 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I think he'd be pretty stoked if someone would arrest him.  Good way to make a hundred million in box office receipts

His schtick gets old quick.  He gets a show every 5 years or so.

9 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

His schtick gets old quick.  He gets a show every 5 years or so.

Jealous?

• Like 1

Ya gotta think that parts of at least soe of the scenes were coordinated ahead of time - can you imagine personal security for Pamela Anderson actually letting someone try to stuff her in a burlap sack?  That said - his caricature of stereotypes is funny as can be.   

50 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Jealous?

Nah, I saw him on the tube a few times in the UK.

Most of this shit gets by because people tolerate the oddity for a while before shutdown.  Good editing takes care of the rest.

3 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

And he gets to be Mr. Knuckles cell Bitch for a Year. 

33 minutes ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

someone steal what's left of your sense of humor?
Nice down-vote total.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Nice down-vote total.

From where I sit, hardly.  Who else would have a patriotic butt plug as an avatar?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

From where I sit, hardly.  Who else would have a patriotic butt plug as an avatar?

Dabnis?

• Like 2

He was pretty funny in "Ricky Bobby".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Who is? 

Audie Murphy, Sgt York, lotsa folks who answer the call.

19 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Ya gotta think that parts of at least soe of the scenes were coordinated ahead of time - can you imagine personal security for Pamela Anderson actually letting someone try to stuff her in a burlap sack?  That said - his caricature of stereotypes is funny as can be.   

Pamela Anderson and Sarah Palin, both yesterday's news trying to maintain (regain?) attention today.

23 hours ago, Saorsa said:

I don't think it would take. There is wide latitude for satire and expression. He didn't seem to imitate a veteran to steal valor, but rather to create comedy. And yes, they would need a release for a private person, but public figures like Palin have their own set of allowances.

That team is infamous for covering their legal positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

Audie Murphy, Sgt York, lotsa folks who answer the call.

Gary Cooper played Sargent York. Audie Murphy played Audie Murphy in To Hell and Back. That was the point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Gary Cooper played Sargent York. Audie Murphy played Audie Murphy in To Hell and Back. That was the point.

So what?  They were movies.

• Downvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Asking to be informed - cite? 

sorry, in and out a lot,  

Agree Palin should have sensed the set up.

On 7/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

On 7/11/2018 at 2:22 PM, Raz'r said:

Nice down-vote total.

Leave him alone. He's infatuated with Palin and this one probably really offended the snowflake. 

Palin is doing a fabulous job of promoting the guys show, watched a few minutes of morning TV.  Palin rocks.  I always thought he was a serious dweeb and then saw he is married to Isla Fisher, he has something going for him. 

19 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Palin is doing a fabulous job of promoting the guys show, watched a few minutes of morning TV.  Palin rocks.  I always thought he was a serious dweeb and then saw he is married to Isla Fisher, he has something going for him. 

He's gotta be a comedic geniuous to conceive and actually pull off the things he does.   Borat was painfully stupid, but, if you thought about the scenarios he established, it's a pretty goood look at human nature and prejudice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

He's gotta be a comedic geniuous to conceive and actually pull off the things he does.   Borat was painfully stupid, but, if you thought about the scenarios he established, it's a pretty goood look at human nature and prejudice. 

I thought Isla Fisher was a resort island that was out of my league.  At least I was partially correct.  

Some of the best Borat stuff didn't make the movie.  The scene from the sing-a-long in (I think) Tuscon, where he gets the crowd to join in the singing without thinking about it, is priceless.  

I don't know if it's ignorance or just plain bigotry in the above clip and while thinking are there really people this stupid? I see in our local rag that a woman has a Youtube channel promoting her flat earth theories along with the moon landing was faked, climate change and gravity are both lies.  She has 13,000 followers.

Stupidity in Texas, it ain't just Louie Gohmert.

22 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I don't know if it's ignorance or just plain bigotry in the above clip and while thinking are there really people this stupid? I see in our local rag that a woman has a Youtube channel promoting her flat earth theories along with the moon landing was faked, climate change and gravity are both lies.  She has 13,000 followers.

Stupidity in Texas, it ain't just Louie Gohmert.

I believe that alcohol was involved.

1 minute ago, Saorsa said:

I believe that alcohol was involved.

And if you read the first line in my sig.......... which I have found to be unfailingly true. 

4 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

And if you read the first line in my sig.......... which I have found to be unfailingly true. 

I've got all sigs suppressed so I don't get to see all that wisdom repeated ad nauseum.

maxresdefault.jpg

43 minutes ago, another 505 sailor said:

I toured Aushwitz today. These people need to see it, but I'm afraid they'd just get inspired.

Trump included. He'd probably be impressed with the logistics and land development.

The Nazis were democrats.  It said so right in their name.  Any idiot knows that.  

i only put the really long/stupid ones on ignore, like DaWoody for example.  I haven't changed these in a long time as they are apropos especially for anonymous forums.

Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face Give a man a drink and he will show you his true personality

As a solid rock is not shaken by a strong gale, so wise persons remain unaffected by praise or censure.” Buddha

I thought Borat was tedious, but his early Ali G stuff was borderline genius. This is some of his finest work. 

'and no disrespect to your bitch'

Gold.

• Like 2

The first show was hilarious but the skits where he proposes arming toddlers and gets  various politicians to wholly endorse iarming 4 year olds.  “4 year olds are like owls they see thing in far greater detail than adults can process”

An other memoranle one is when he goes to get his art (created by shit and cum) evaluated by a gallery curator (moderately hot) and convinces her to shave some of her pussy hair on camera for his next piece.

• Downvote 1

Cohen's interviews with former elected types reinforces the Mark Twain observation: "Suppose you were an idiot, but suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." 

20 hours ago, BrickTopHarry said:

What? Holy Fucking Shit. This is NOT Ali G. This is UNFUCKING BELIEVABLE. THIS IS CARDI B PRECURSER, FOUR YEAR OLDS WHO CAN SEE LIKE OWLS. HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Your elected representatives include incontrovertible idiots and psychopaths. Who is America? I thought I knew, but I did not. HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

What Trump said today, meh. Watch this.

• Like 2

Stop what you are doing and watch it. All of it. Highly recommended whether you're pro common sense gun laws or NRA nutjob. FUCKIN A. These mofos honestly want to militarize kindergartens.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lasal said:

Stop what you are doing and watch it. All of it. Highly recommended whether you're pro common sense gun laws or NRA nutjob. FUCKIN A. These mofos honestly want to militarize kindergartens.

Eh I think it's less that than your average GOP politician, if they believe they are dealing with one of the sacred groups, like NRA or pro Israel lobby, they basically have to go along with whatever and so a clever dude who knows exactly how this leverage works against these people is able to manipulate them into saying and doing completely ridiculous things that are essentially far down the path the existing politics were already taking them.  "Modest proposal" type stuff.  So as Borat he could play on casual racism to get people to sing "throw the Jew down the well" at a rodeo, etc.

15 hours ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Eh I think it's less that than your average GOP politician, if they believe they are dealing with one of the sacred groups, like NRA or pro Israel lobby, they basically have to go along with whatever and so a clever dude who knows exactly how this leverage works against these people is able to manipulate them into saying and doing completely ridiculous things that are essentially far down the path the existing politics were already taking them.  "Modest proposal" type stuff.  So as Borat he could play on casual racism to get people to sing "throw the Jew down the well" at a rodeo, etc.

No way. That's a generous way to look at it but, respectfully, it's a big mistake to fail to take these people seriously and at their word.

There was no manipulation involved. These lobbyists, and both former and current members of the US congress were willing to look at a camera and make a case for arming preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade schoolers with guns. They did it happily and proudly. While they were told they had an Israeli audience, they were also arguing for the "Kindergardians" program to be used here in the USA.

The set up was brilliant but did not somehow trick anyone into saying anything they didn't believe. Joe Walsh thought he had an Israeli audience, but he sat there and said, ". . .in less than a month, less than a month, your first grader can become a first grenader." No shit, he was clearly promoting the creation of child soldiers. Not only is he an immoral and unethical person, I think he may have committed a crime.

The set up started by working with and filming two gun lobbyists, Philip Van Cleave of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, and Larry Pratt executive director emeritus of Gun Owners of America.

Larry Pratt then facilitated the interviews with Trent Lott, Dana Rohrabacher R-CA, Joe Wilson R-SC, and Joe Walsh R-IL (f).

Rohrabacher said arming kids, "might make us safer here."

Wilson said, ". . . your three-year-old cannot defend itself from an assault weapon by throwing a Hello Kitty pencil case at it. There is no age limit on the second amendment."

Lott said, "We should implement it too, putting guns in the hands of highly trained preschoolers."

Van Cleave did a commercial with stuffed animal Uzis, singing "Aim at the head and shoulders, not the toes, not the toes."  Pratt spewed this whole ridiculously fake scientific argument for arming four-year-olds. (That was Sol's Blink 182 reference.)

These guys were not joking, they were not coerced or manipulated to say something they don't believe. They were coaxed out of their echo chamber at most.

So, this is what common sense gun law advocates are up against. A lobby with congressional support that envisions an armed society down to the individual child, including child soldiers. That's what they want, and you can't sugar coat it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lasal said:

<SNIP>

So, this is what common sense gun law advocates are up against. A lobby with congressional support that envisions an armed society down to the individual child, including child soldiers. That's what they want, and you can't sugar coat it.

Anyone seriously advocating such an asinine approach needs to be unceremonioulsy renounced. 

30 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Anyone seriously advocating such an asinine approach needs to be unceremonioulsy renounced. 

That's not a denunciation in the least. That's a whitewash. Shame CNN.

He is the real Joe Walsh (snipped to his quote). Maybe it's news to him?

"Happy shooting kids."

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Whassamatta IASAL? Is it upsetting being presented with a refutation of the very terrible things you were happy to accept about people you don't want to like? 

What those mofos say is shocking, but Joe Walsh did not in any way refute what he said, he made excuses for it saying it was because he thought he was winning an award from and Israeli TV show. What the fuck? The guy has no moral compass what-so-ever and he admits he thought the idea was good for the US too. Where is there a refutation of the terrible things? Saying "I said some crazy stuff," is not an apology or condemnation. Joe Walsh said some crazy stuff and believes some immoral and unethical stuff. It's easy.

8 minutes ago, lasal said:

What those mofos say is shocking, but Joe Walsh did not in any way refute what he said, he made excuses for it saying it was because he thought he was winning an award from and Israeli TV show. What the fuck? The guy has no moral compass what-so-ever and he admits he thought the idea was good for the US too. Where is there a refutation of the terrible things? Saying "I said some crazy stuff," is not an apology or condemnation. Joe Walsh said some crazy stuff and believes some immoral and unethical stuff. It's easy.

I think you're looking for a reason to be upset. He read from a teleprompter at someone else's bequest.  I'm not apologizing for him, he shoulda had a "WTF" moment - but, thinking he was speaking about an existing Israeli program is a good bit different than advocating for such a program to be instituted here, which seems to be the intention you want to assign. 

I think his comments in the CNN interview indicate that he knows now that he got punked, and is basically saying so.  No need to get stupid serious about a movie prank. 

10 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I think you're looking for a reason to be upset. He read from a teleprompter at someone else's bequest.  I'm not apologizing for him, he shoulda had a "WTF" moment - but, thinking he was speaking about an existing Israeli program is a good bit different than advocating for such a program to be instituted here, which seems to be the intention you want to assign. 

I think his comments in the CNN interview indicate that he knows now that he got punked, and is basically saying so.  No need to get stupid serious about a movie prank. 

You haven't watched the video. They are advocating for "Kindergardians" to be implemented here. Joe Walsh, and Trent Lott et al only got punked in the sense that they espoused these ideas unwittingly to an audience they might have otherwise kept quiet in front of. I love it. I'm glad these guys are on the record being willing to arm kids in schools, little kids.

"He read from a teleprompter at someone else's bequest." That's funny, because a bequest is a gift and you're right, he did it for money and they paid his way. He was working for the gun lobby proving his chops. You're absolutely right. Well, accidentally right.

Looking for a reason to be upset? I didn't have to look far, SBC put it right out there for us all to see.

4 minutes ago, lasal said:

You haven't watched the video. They are advocating for "Kindergardians" to be implemented here. Joe Walsh, and Trent Lott et al only got punked in the sense that they espoused these ideas unwittingly to an audience they might have otherwise kept quiet in front of. I love it. I'm glad these guys are on the record being willing to arm kids in schools, little kids.

"He read from a teleprompter at someone else's bequest." That's funny, because a bequest is a gift and you're right, he did it for money and they paid his way. He was working for the gun lobby proving his chops. You're absolutely right. Well, accidentally right.

Looking for a reason to be upset? I didn't have to look far, SBC put it right out there for us all to see.

You didn't listen to Joe Walsh's interview - they are reading from a teleprompter about what they thought was an Israeli Program, for an Israeli audience.  That's a far cry from your giddy willingness to ascribe sinister intent to people you don't like.  Bequest/behest - thanks for the correction, was admittedly typing too quickly and not proof-reading before hitting the "submit" button. 

37 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You didn't listen to Joe Walsh's interview - they are reading from a teleprompter about what they thought was an Israeli Program, for an Israeli audience.  That's a far cry from your giddy willingness to ascribe sinister intent to people you don't like.  Bequest/behest - thanks for the correction, was admittedly typing too quickly and not proof-reading before hitting the "submit" button. 

I watched the CNN interview. And it's very clear, Joe Walsh says it was about bringing this program from Isreal, arming and training kids, to the US. And, in the SBC video, the subjects are all willing to arm US kids here in the USA:

Larry Pratt, the lobbyist, facilitated the interviews with Trent Lott, Dana Rohrabacher R-CA, Joe Wilson R-SC, and Joe Walsh R-IL (f).

Joe Walsh said in his CNN interview, ". . . it was, I guess, an example of how Israel trains and arms preschool kids on how to use firearms and boy shouldn't we do that in American."

Rohrabacher said arming kids, "might make us safer here."

Wilson said, ". . . your three-year-old cannot defend itself from an assault weapon by throwing a Hello Kitty pencil case at it. The founding fathers did not put an age limit on the second amendment."

Lott said, "We should implement it too, putting guns in the hands of highly trained preschoolers."

Whether I like someone or not, I think it is sinister to promote these ideas anywhere, but they thought they were promoting them here in the USA too. And I didn't "ascribe sinister intent," these guys spelled out their intent very happily, to "put guns in the hands of highly trained preschoolers".

If you think they didn't mean it, or were tricked into saying these things, or something like that, that's fine with me. I just think it's a mistake to fail to take people seriously, especially elected officials.

Joe Walsh, "Happy shooting kids." And he is not talking about deer.

5 minutes ago, mad said:

That’s almost unbelievable.....

as is the Bettina story

and the pee tape story

and the grab a pussy story

and the 666 building

the greatest story ever told

D

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I thonk you're missing the point.

The fact that someone could be duped into saying something like that for the reasons offered suggests they are a nutter.

The 'no rape in marriage' line sums up these bastards.

The fact that they can explain it away or hide these thoughts does not make it acceptable.

Republicans are so gullible.   Easy targets.  Once the revolution is engaged, we should have no trouble identifying and dealing with these traitors.

9 hours ago, dylan winter said:

as is the Bettina story

and the pee tape story

and the grab a pussy story

and the 666 building

the greatest story ever told

D

I wonder if he’ll try and dupe as many left wing as right wing? 

3 hours ago, mad said:

I wonder if he’ll try and dupe as many left wing as right wing? 

Some articles on this subject said he got Bernie Sanders and Ted Koppel, among others.

There were also a few with the sense to say WTF?

“I support the Kinderguardians program,” Lott says. “We in America would be wise to implement it, too. It’s something we should think about in America, about putting guns in the hands of law abiding citizens — good guys — whether they be teachers, or whether they actually be talented children, or highly trained preschoolers.”

Not everyone fell for the ruse. Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Florida, has a highly skeptical look on his face when he asks Cohen (posing as the Israeli commando): “You want me to say, on television, that I support 3- and 4-year-olds with firearms?”

Gaetz’s interview cuts there.

14 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I thonk you're missing the point.

The fact that someone could be duped into saying something like that for the reasons offered suggests they are a nutter.

The 'no rape in marriage' line sums up these bastards.

The fact that they can explain it away or hide these thoughts does not make it acceptable.

I think that the bigger point is that politicians will  say what they think someone wants to hear right now, often w/out thinking thru anything.  In this particular case?  i think the likely scenario is that they saw some political benefit to making a statement that they thought wouldn't be heard here, (in the case of Walsh - he was told he was bbeing given an award for his Israel advocacy), and that those statements don't reflect any intention.  

I could be wrong, but, that's how I see it, and think that that should advise us all to be quite skeptical of most things that come out of politicians' mouths.  

30 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

No need to.  Just set up a camera and they volunteer

People in positions of power please not nutters off the street.

Your representatives are calling for toddlers to be armed, own it.