Sign in to follow this  
commotion

Tanzer 25 Opinions or Knowledge

Anyone out there have any knowledge of the Tanzer 25 ?  Looks like a nice design and reasonably quick with a PHRF of 180. Built in late 80's. French design. Thanks !!

Tanzer 25.jpg

I don't know anything about any of the Tanzers. So there is that. Wheel steering would be a deal breaker for me, but you're right that the performance is decent based on the phrf rating.

Could be fun and if it's cheap, could be easy on the wallet too. What's the worst that could happen while passing the local fleet of Catalina 25s?

Cheers.

we had one at our club for years and a couple in the area, I occasionally sailed on it. It was a PHRF rocket and won a fair number of events. They are tender and you change down sails early, but quite stable downwind. Pretty nice interior for 25' and the rear bed/berth setup is comfy . Cheap to operate and sails with 3-5 people well. 

I cant speak to the wheel configuration, thats the first one i've seen done that way. I dont think I'd like it

Tanzers were well built. The early ones designed by Tanzer were all butt ugly but pretty good boats otherwise. The later ones like that one were all that but good looking too.

I doubt you'd regret buying it.

Wheel is beyond lame. Would pull that off asap.

A few of them in Toronto 

sail well but I have never seen one with a wheel 

Raced against one (the Joubert-Nivelt design)  quite a bit a few years ago (vs anarchist KapnKriz)  We had a couple of Merit25s, a J24, a Kirby and some other like-boat 24-25 footer in competition with one another.  The Tanzer was always in the running and Kapn won his share of races.  

Very cool little boat!

18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Tanzers were well built. The early ones designed by Tanzer were all butt ugly but pretty good boats otherwise. The later ones like that one were all that but good looking too.

I doubt you'd regret buying it.

+1

While I'm primarily familiar with the 26, all Tanzers I've come across have been very well constructed. IMO, the 10.5 was better made than its near relatives, the British-built Southerly 100/101/115.

4014631_-1_20120710140718_18_0.jpg

Probably the most common Tanzers are the 22 and its big brother, the 28. They are ugly but sail well. However, they are now long in the tooth and many have been hard-used, often by sailing clubs, so a thorough pre-purchase inspection is warranted.

1200px-Tanzer_22_Sailboat_2408.jpg

Here is a three-page thread on the Tanzer 25 that you should find helpful.

5 hours ago, BeerDidClam said:

Raced against one (the Joubert-Nivelt design)  quite a bit a few years ago (vs anarchist KapnKriz)  We had a couple of Merit25s, a J24, a Kirby and some other like-boat 24-25 footer in competition with one another.  The Tanzer was always in the running and Kapn won his share of races.  

Very cool little boat!

Had two in our teenie club (local S2 7.9 dealer also sold these, and that is all he sold) Cool boat, fast in the light stuff, but seemed way overpowered in anything over 10. Might be the local sailors didnt know how to depower properly, but they were routinely beaten by S2 7.9's, J24s, Martain 242's and Merit 25's.

That just shows to go ya that Kapn Kriz knew his sh*t.   He was (is?) competitive in a variety of windspeeds with the tiny tanzer. 

God I miss those days of mayhem down in Solomons....

Looks like a nice boat.  Outboard rudder?  Hopefully they didn't bollix it up when fitting the wheel and pedestal.  That's gotta go!