zimm

Best way to fix fiberglass damage to a hatch

So new boat to me.  I found out there’s not clearance to unstep mast with hatch open.   How should I fix this lines are 3/8” for scale.   Marinetex? Fill with cut up cloth and resin then gel coat?

BA504097-139D-4EC2-9DA4-42D66713785E.jpeg

It is not structural 

Get some bondo. OR Pack of Marinetex. OR West System repair kit [ best ]  epoxy kit

Fill - sand smooth - mask off - finish with a rattle can. 

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Go sailing.

That makes me feel so much better.  I guess I'm stuck between doing the west system or marinetex.  I already have resin/hardner packets.  I might even have some cloth from a past project.  I think that will be stronger.   

-or-

$13 can of marine-tex and sand to be smooth. 

The forward edge of the hatch can't even be seen unless you're working on the mast. 

DON'T use Bondo on a boat - ever. It is hygroscopic.

Fill some epoxy resin - mill fiber or talc or one or the other fillers available - it's not structural so pick one that sands easily.

• Like 1

I'd suggest you actually cut out that section and lay up some new cloth with a deep notch at that point. That way you'll be able to step the mast regardless of hatch position.

13 minutes ago, IStream said:

I'd suggest you actually cut out that section and lay up some new cloth with a deep notch at that point. That way you'll be able to step the mast regardless of hatch position.

That's actually a pretty cool idea.  What happened is I had the mast rigging system incorrectly rigged, so when I lowered the mast from the bow, the gin pole bent, I missed the match crutch, and the mast crashed down.  The cleat that the boom ties down to hit the the open hatch.  First timers mistake.  Next time i know how how to rig the gin pole and I'm supposed to stand in the cockpit and work the mast rigging.  That way I can catch the mast.  There's even a jam cleat on top of the cabin to hold the line if the mast catches on anything and I have to stop.  It always helps to re-read the manual after destroying stuff.

58 minutes ago, zimm said:

That's actually a pretty cool idea.  What happened is I had the mast rigging system incorrectly rigged, so when I lowered the mast from the bow, the gin pole bent, I missed the match crutch, and the mast crashed down.  The cleat that the boom ties down to hit the the open hatch.  First timers mistake.  Next time i know how how to rig the gin pole and I'm supposed to stand in the cockpit and work the mast rigging.  That way I can catch the mast.  There's even a jam cleat on top of the cabin to hold the line if the mast catches on anything and I have to stop.  It always helps to re-read the manual after destroying stuff.

Yup, I learned a lot from my first mast stepping too. Solo, of course, because the best way to ignore the instructions is to make sure there's nobody else there to help or suggest that the instructions might be useful.

Sand out the bruise.  Fill with preferred, paint using rattle can car touch up paint in one of a thousand whites they come in. 

I would do a proper repair.  When someone steps on it your filler will fail and you could cause more damage to the slider.  That area is crital to the strength of the part.