Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

J105 NAs coming up

33 minutes ago, Lurker said:

J105 North Americans start in 2weeks

A disappointing 16 boats registered but some notable names in the mix

https://yachtscoring.com/current_event_entries.cfm?eID=4490

Pick a winner?

Pick a winner---Gryphon.  Assuming it sails with the same crew that took nothing but bullets in  the 2018 Chicago NOODs

I think the turnout would have been higher if it was held in Chicago in August (Verve Cup)  I think for many boats the logistics of doing the Mac with all the gear related to that race and then getting the boat back to Chicago is more time than many boat crews have to give. I would agree with Jerseyguy-Gryphon if it is the same guys. Good sailors and fast boat=wins

15 105s registered for the Chi Mac and 8 of those registered for NAs

There must be few more 105s within 250 miles of Harbor Springs that could have come!

Disappointed more of the 20 strong Toronto fleet didn't commit

Lurker, I'm not sure what is happening with that as well. The 105 fleet for the past 2-3 years has been the largest onedesign section in the race +20, this year 15. We had to decide between doing the Mac or NA's but not both due to logistics. 

I will let you know that the reason some of us racers' are not participating n the NA's is simple.  Logistics and time.  Most could not commit to the time off and being away from family an all.  They take enough time as it is and family is first.  We put together a crew for the MAC years ago with the intention of having a good crew, all drivers with experience, etc...still have not sailed with all the guys because of something "coming up" and was initially serious.

one of the issues in having it in Harbor Springs is that is part of another regatta where there was a boat limit due to facility and docking limits - so there was a waiting list to get in - certainly clubs like Chicago Yacht Club and Bayview Yacht club would be great venues that certainly could attract a large number if Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and Toronto boats participated as well easy to get to from east and west coasts