Sign in to follow this  
Passport111

Whale Gulper IC reviews

Does anyone have experience with this pump?  https://www.fisheriessupply.com/whale-gulper-bilge-pump-kit-with-intelligent-control-circuitry

306590_wha_si8284_ppm-tif

I have a very shallow bilge with a small sump.  Most of the Rule type pumps won't fit because the output comes out horizontally.  

The remote sensor and pickup of this Whale pump allows the output to be rotated vertically.  I also like that the pump is out of the bilge.

Right now I only have manual pumps, one in the saloon and one in the cockpit.  I get a little rainwater in through the inside of the mast.  Because the bilge is shallow some water doesn't flow to the sump.  I plan to put one of the low pro Whale pumps right behind the mast and have it just pump to the sump.  

It's total shit - expensive and the stupid plastic gears inside strip out very easily. I went through three before I changed to an impeller pump. The diaphragm pump mechanism generates much more force on the gears at certain points of travel and always the same place. If you get a blockage and it can't suck, then it strips and your pump is done. The gears should be brass, not brass-meets-nylon.

Thanks for the feedback.  How long ago was that?  I wonder if they have changed the design at all.

The Water Puppy looks interesting and definitely more rugged.  However the fact that it self priming but you cannot run dry is concerning.  How is yours installed to address this? What water level/sensor switch do you use? 

Any other suggestions on different pumps?