Sign in to follow this  
Jethrow

Dynex/ spectra in salt water

Hi All

I'm making a new dolphin striker for the bowsprit on my cat. I want it as long as possible to provide support but as the boat is moored, the tip will get splashed or submerged by passing waves if it's long.

I know that they use Dynex for fishing nets & lines, but in my mind being dunked & drying with the accumulated salt buildup would be different from the normal net usage. Anyone know if this will result in greater than normal chafing? I know people use dynex for this very application but does the salt buildup result in a shorter lifespan?

I haven't done calculations yet but I'm thinking 6 - 8mm dynex on a 2.2m bowsprit with a dolphin striker length of max 800mm (to waterline) so about 20 degrees of angle at the end, flying a masthead assy at the tip and masthead zero at the midpoint, 1750kg boat.

it might be good to just use 14 mm and it will never break. bugger all weight difference. Its what we used on mine. Also next time I'm out of the water i'm planning on coating my dynex with emmerclad membrane paint. 

Oh, I can look it up and found your link earlier. What I was interested in is a user actual usage on a boat sort of review. You know anyone with that has used it on Colligo?

Our 8ft prodder on Spirit uses 10mm dyneema no issues at all over the last eight years.

I agree with everyone above, spectra lasts forever (relatively) in or out of the water, and bump up the diameter. It's stretchy (relatively)