DSE

Mainsheet block to boom webbing material

spectra webbing with a few turns. Velcro to keep it together. Your local sailmaker can turn them out.

Line will point load the boom much more than webbing. May be a problem with carbon fibre depending on location.

+1 Zonks.

No chafe issues on good clearcoat/epoxy. Inspect frequently, if any issues, spray with AwlGrip clear.

HW

Do the math. By the time you have enough turns for the Velcro to hold, it doesn't really matter, the webbing will be non-stretch and the hook-and-loop hold will be the determining factor.

For sliding, put the loop part against the boom--nice and slippery. If you don't like Velcro, buckles work, but still go around twice.

Obvious.

Your local sailmaker should be able to knock a webbing loop out in short order.  Three laps of tubular polyester webbing sewn up will be overkill.  Dynema webbing will be over-overkill!

2 hours ago, silent bob said:

Your local sailmaker should be able to knock a webbing loop out in short order.  Three laps of tubular polyester webbing sewn up will be overkill.  Dynema webbing will be over-overkill!

Absolutely - from a strength perspective.  But - Dyneema webbing slides much better than poly and will chafe the boom far less

On 7/14/2018 at 11:20 AM, DSE said:

What are people using for the loops used to attach mainsheet blocks to a carbon fiber boom? This for a 30ft sportboat. 

Example:

https://www.melges.com/?p=store/details&sku=15963&cat=43

10 hours ago, Christian said:

Absolutely - from a strength perspective.  But - Dyneema webbing slides much better than poly and will chafe the boom far less

Big Boats, I go for a hard attatchment when I can, or a Dynema diaper.  For a 30’ sporty, 1” webbing is plenty to distribute the load, especially if separated like the Melges 32.  Have never had a chafe issue.  

Been using this system  on  mainsheet blocks and vang attachment for about the last decade. No issues with load distribution or corrosion. Material is 2"  polyester seatbelt webbing. Seatbelts are tested. to over 5000 lbs in lapbelt app only with 2" sewn overlap.

Mainsheet hookup 2.jpg

Mainsheet hookup.jpg

Thanks for the help. So one of the things I was trying to get away from was something hard mounted. During a hard gybe the boom seems like it tends to unnecessarily twist, stress, and wear the gooseneck fitting. Also, to keep it from sliding fore and aft on the boom I was thing using some like this. https://www.suncorstainless.com/footmans-loop

I should have thought of using dyneema webbing. I see sailrite has some. Any other sources? 

I'm thinking about using a climbing sling. Cheap, strong and available in different lengths. A 30cm one (aprox. 12") will cost 3.50 euros, probably the same in dollars. Dynema is also an option with climbing slings. As an example (sorry for the Dutch link...)

https://www.klimwinkel.nl/beal-sling.html

in a 45ft we use two turns of 8mm dyneema core. Main is 75 m2.

In order to prevent it from slipping forwards, we tye it to the end of the boom. Won't go back due to the main outhaul.

Review for chafe at least once a year.

12 hours ago, HotSnail said:

I'm thinking about using a climbing sling. Cheap, strong and available in different lengths. A 30cm one (aprox. 12") will cost 3.50 euros, probably the same in dollars. Dynema is also an option with climbing slings. As an example (sorry for the Dutch link...)

Climbing slings (especially the Dyneema variant) are great for this and many other applications on sail boats.  Just be aware that the slings are not the best in terms of long term UV resistance so do make sure to inspect and potentially replace at least yearly.  Luckily it is very easy to see when they start getting questionable

You can get Dynice Webbing [Formerly Dynex Webbing] get a Velco stitched to a length and cut it of as you need it. A couple of turns is plenty - the velcro won't slip.

Boom end.JPG

On 7/18/2018 at 8:01 PM, HotSnail said:

Only problem is they only come in Blauw-zwart 

Aw Jeez.  I'm the kind of guy who installs actual boom bails, and y'all are telling this guy to strop his mainsheet tackle to the boom?

Ok......

22 hours ago, thereefgeek said:

Aw Jeez.  I'm the kind of guy who installs actual boom bails, and y'all are telling this guy to strop his mainsheet tackle to the boom?

Ok......

Installing a boom bail on a carbon boom would be a mistake for so many reasons

On 7/25/2018 at 12:27 PM, Alcatraz5768 said:

Only problem is they only come in Blauw-zwart 

True... other brands have different colors, the straps are color marked to indicatie the different lengts so you can easily get the right one from your climbing gear. 

The dynema ones are mostly white with a small color marker.