Sign in to follow this  
godspell

Help with stuck spinnaker pole

Hi,

My spinnaker pole is stuck in the retracted position and will not release forward... any ideas...  I was able to move the pole aft to inspect the rear bushing... looks like the bushing may need to be sanded down some ... anyone experience a similar problem...

Thanks

Tony

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 3.26.25 PM.png

Forgetting to release the tack line before attempting to launch pole is the beginners error on a Magic 25

Some more details of your setup would help

My first guess is the red line is jammed 

Mine would bind severely at times. Had to use a metal grinder to shave material off the black bushing. Regular sandpaper and even metal file would not do it. That’s assuming it’s not something else. You can remove the cap off the front and push the pole further back to see in from front. 

19 hours ago, gjbike said:

Mine would bind severely at times. Had to use a metal grinder to shave material off the black bushing. Regular sandpaper and even metal file would not do it. That’s assuming it’s not something else. You can remove the cap off the front and push the pole further back to see in from front. 

Thanks

I called the dealer... he's checking with the manufacturer... sounds like they should send us out new bushings

Tony

I am confused....

Is the pole stuck and can't be moved forward past the point that the bush engages the other tube?  (Bush problem)

or

Is it really hard to move in either direction?  (Jammed pole out line, cracked sheave, foot cleat, trailer in the way, tack line still cleated)

The first is the issue...   working with the manufacturer.. to get a new slightly smaller bushing.. as soon as I insert it and  get past the 1/4 bevel it binds up

17 hours ago, godspell said:

The first is the issue...   working with the manufacturer.. to get a new slightly smaller bushing.. as soon as I insert it and  get past the 1/4 bevel it binds up

So this is a new boat and the pole has never been extended?

You need some more batten tension, bit of a bubble at the mast end

What sort of boat?

Just get in there with a grinder with a fibre disc on it and take a bit off. Probably easier than fucking around with the rivets.