Sign in to follow this  
dvx

Melges 24 Keel trunk

I'm not having good luck trying to locate a solid Melges 24 to buy.  Two I have been interested in buying in the last few months that were about 10 year old boats surveyed as being very wet. One had a crack in the keel trunk.  I performed a search and I could not locate anything about my specific question.

This crack looks serious,  the picture shows a batten extending through the gap in the crack.  This looks like a difficult fix.

Does anyone know why this area would crack in the first place?  Stress?  

Has anyone attempted a repair?

image.png.94a378ec3e06fad45f1f269dadd36e76.png

THAT LOOKS LIKE A HOLE IN THE KEEL CRANE SLOT

That is what it appears to be,  an internal carbon tube that appears to be structurally split.  I'm not a Melges 24 expert but I never saw anything like this before.  I am wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this.

Fixing that is probably not that much work, take away the old tube and laminate a new one in there. However If that is from freezing, then there are probably other parts that have been wet as well when it has frozen -> risk.

I believe I would RUN, not walk away.  Besides freeze damage I venture to guess the keel hoist failed in the full up position and the keel did a guillotine on the deck. Mine has done so TWICE from just one or two feet up and sounded like bomb.  BTW, keep toes and extremities well away when hoisting or lowering.