Sign in to follow this  
Ozee Adventure

Mackay Yacht Club QLD Australia

Heading up to Mackay for work for a week in September, was thinking of going up early to see whats there & possibly catch a keelboat ride.

I can see there is social sailing going on that weekend, but not keelboat racing.

Any "tourist" things I should be doing for a few days?

Thanks in Advance

OA

The sailing club doesn''t have a clubhouse anymore but they should still be active. You might have to chase them up on the Internet if you can find them. They used to do Wednesday nights and weekend races out the front of the Harbour so maybe they still do. The Whitsunday sailing club at Airlie would be a far better bet, but it's about a two hour drive away.

Tourist things. Spots to visit are Cape Hillsborough with the roos on the beach at sunrise, Eungella with rainforest walks and platypi, Hay Point and it's lookout over the coal terminal and anchored ships, the Sarina Sugar Shed for stuff related to the sugar industry and rum. The marina is nice for a feed and drink, and the southern breakwater is a bit of an attraction to walk along. If you have a weekend spare I think the best place to head is Airlie Beach for the day or even the weekend.

The Mackay Yacht Club (soon to be sailing club) is still active and to find out what is planned look on the website or farce book.There is a Festival of Sails regatta on for the dinghies at Kinchant Dam in September which is a pleasant drive in the Pioneer Valley. Racing is more active in Airlie as Toecutter said with more chance of a ride etc. What else are you into, there is plenty to offer in the region but most of it is natural beauty not man made entertainment? Good mountain bike track, good kite boarding if the trade winds are in, “interesting “ pubs and locals. Even a drive around the industrial area will show some interesting large mining equipment. Open your eyes and enjoy the visit.