https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/22/americas/toronto-restaurant-shooting/index.html

How could this happen?  Aren’t guns illegal in Canadeh?  

Is it too soon to blame Trump?  

Maybe it was Putin?

Did the shooter apologize after each shot?

Bam, Sorry!

Bam, Sorry!

Bam, Sorry!

Bam, Sorry!

Bam, Sorry!

Bam, Sorry!

Bam, Sorry!

Bam, Sorry!

• Downvote 4

49 minutes ago, silent bob said:

No, just much more regulated than in the States.

Currently we have a biggish problem with illegal handguns smuggled in from - guess where?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Currently we have a biggish problem with illegal handguns smuggled in from - guess where?

Whatever the question, more regulation is the answer.

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later.

When that asshole poured gravy all over my french fries it was all I could do to restrain myself.

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

We have an illegal handgun problem as well, they aren't smuggled into here from the USA- https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/post-office-smuggling-case-220-guns-imported-20120314-1uz1j.html

The offender was dressed in black looked like he had a beard, why haven't they released his name

"Middle Eastern gangs" sounds ominous.

Supply follows demand as usual, even in nice places.

10 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Typically ignorant right wing attempt at sarcasm. You guys can't even get the lowest form of wit right.

The reality is that we reduced gun regulations quite a bit a few years ago.

8 hours ago, Mohammed Bin Lyin said:

The offender was dressed in black looked like he had a beard, why haven't they released his name

The offender was Faisal Hussain.

34673342_2121520384745535_560584671981731840_n.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Typically ignorant right wing attempt at sarcasm. You guys can't even get the lowest form of wit right.

Jon, what we have here is a failure to communicate:

a) Sarcasm is not the lowest form of wit.

b) Reality is nobody in the whole wide -- dare I say fucking?-- world cares about Canada's position on anything at all.

c) Your personal position on most topics is well known. You're a smart guy. Your signature is you, sir, we got it.

13 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Yeah, your right, its time to tighten up the our southern border, your culture is leaking in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Jon, what we have here is a failure to communicate:

a) Sarcasm is not the lowest form of wit.

Oscar or Blue Crab - whom to believe? One of history's greatest wits or one of PA's halfwits?

Hmmmm.......

image.png.3e98a526f0a1aa68c0df45e59865cea0.png

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Oscar or Blue Crab - whom to believe? One of history's greatest wits or one of PA's halfwits?

Hmmmm.......

image.png.3e98a526f0a1aa68c0df45e59865cea0.png

19b.jpg

• Like 1

Now THAT is witty. :D

On 7/23/2018 at 9:04 AM, SloopJonB said:
On 7/23/2018 at 8:13 AM, silent bob said:

Oh, so its the US's problem now??  Dude that is THE biggest cop out ever.  

But the irony is your post proves my point we've been making here for years!!!!  Prohibition doesn't work.  Bad people will always find ways to get what they are forbidden to have.  How many times do we have to keep doing the same thing over and over again (booze , drugs and gunz) expecting a different result.  

You're not having a "biggish" problem in TOR because of the US or Canadian gun laws.  You are having a biggish problem Toronto is not addressing the root causes of why people are choosing to use violence to resolve disputes.  And I would bet a large % of your "biggish" problem stems from your prohibition on drugs and the drug black market.  Just saying.

But thanks for making our gun-rights point btw.

I knew I could rely on you.

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Rely on me to use logic and reasoning rather than espouse emotional knee jerk reactions???   Why thank you, I appreciate the compliment.

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Me too godammit! 

Can't make the link work on phone but please refer to NYT: "Pun for the Ages" wherein you'll become aware of other, dare I say better, writers on the issue. Also, you're taking Oscar's comment as a declarative sentence when, in fact, he was being sarcastic.

FUCK! I LOVE THIS PLACE!

Glad I could help.

14 hours ago, Keith said:

Yeah, your right, its time to tighten up the our southern border, your culture is leaking in.

Not to be Capt Obvious but I doubt we'd notice. Lettuce know how it works out.(See what I did there?)

All jokes aside, we shouldn't be joking here.

15 hours ago, Keith said:

Racist!

3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Not to be Capt Obvious but I doubt we'd notice. Lettuce know how it works out.(See what I did there?)

Even YOU would probably notice a missing 1/2 $Trillion in trade.

This is not the time to split hairs or be witty.

But I will mention a couple of points to my friends to the south who might misunderstand what Keith referred to as 'culture'. If I understand him correctly he is referring to a gun culture that is or at least has been somewhat more germane to the U.S. than Canada. A comparison of per capita gun ownership might be a place to  start.

Gun control in Canada is not bound by the almost sacred adherence to a constitutional ammendment...rather it is one of many issues that fall within the effort to maintain a balance between freedom and safety. Other issues in the same basket might be, say, surveillance, search and seizure, areas of our hate speech code, property rights, the right to self-defence, police presence, the list goes on ...but as far as mincing US and Canada on this...well you'd be hard pressed to find a lobbyist equivalent to the NRA in Canada. A few years ago we had a long gun registration initiative that kind of went on for a while until everyone kinda forgot about it.

The argument that the bad guy will kill  regardless, whether a knife or a gun happens to be handy, is well worn, but obscures a large part of the picture. It rests on elected officials and the will of the people to change the narrative radically. Public safety, on a physical and psychological level is being eroded to the point that mass killings are becoming normalized. 

Yeah we get it. Guns aren't illegal in Norway and look what happened and ya we can't outlaw white panel vans if someone wants to rent and weaponize one.

But at least try to consider that if guns aren't the whole problem they are damn well part of it. The amount of normalized killing glorified in filth like Active Shooter Video games has got to be reconsidered as something detrimental to not only public decency, but public safety even if banning it runs up against elements of free speech. 

I remember being lucky enough to run into and have a convo at the local Starbucks in Coconut Grove with a retired 3 star general. It was the morning after the Virginia Tech shooting. Among other things he was baffled at how a mentally disturbed individual could so easily get his hands on a weapon designed for the battlefield.

Ask yourself how many people in the midst of a psychotic episode have managed the same since.

The right to freely assemble has gotta be right near the top of any civilized society's list. Everytime any weapon of any kind gets into the wrong hands, it not a question of the merits of prohibition, rather it's a strengthened yet saddening commentary on the failure to regulate.

If this sounds like I'm bashing my good friends to the south, I'm not...I just might have a point of difference or two. 

RIP to the two lost souls and Godspeed to the injured.

And to the residents of the Danforth and the upstanding  citizens of Toronto, I'll quote the great civic leader of his adopted hometown of Boston, Big Papi,

THIS IS OUR FUCKING CITY

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, fufkin said:

But I will mention a couple of points to my friends to the south who might misunderstand what Keith referred to as 'culture'. If I understand him correctly he is referring to a gun culture that is or at least has been somewhat more germane to the U.S. than Canada. A comparison of per capita gun ownership might be a place to  start.

Gun control in Canada is not bound by the almost sacred adherence to a constitutional ammendment...rather it is one of many issues that fall within the effort to maintain a balance between freedom and safety. Other issues in the same basket might be, say, surveillance, search and seizure, areas of our hate speech code, property rights, the right to self-defence, police presence, the list goes on ...but as far as mincing US and Canada on this...well you'd be hard pressed to find a lobbyist equivalent to the NRA in Canada. A few years ago we had a long gun registration initiative that kind of went on for a while until everyone kinda forgot about it.

The argument that the bad guy will kill  regardless, whether a knife or a gun happens to be handy, is well worn, but obscures a large part of the picture. It rests on elected officials and the will of the people to change the narrative radically. Public safety, on a physical and psychological level is being eroded to the point that mass killings are becoming normalized. 

Yeah we get it. Guns aren't illegal in Norway and look what happened and ya we can't outlaw white panel vans if someone wants to rent and weaponize one.

But at least try to consider that if guns aren't the whole problem they are damn well part of it. The amount of normalized killing glorified in filth like Active Shooter Video games has got to be reconsidered as something detrimental to not only public decency, but public safety even if banning it runs up against elements of free speech. 

I remember being lucky enough to run into and have a convo at the local Starbucks in Coconut Grove with a retired 3 star general. It was the morning after the Virginia Tech shooting. Among other things he was baffled at how a mentally disturbed individual could so easily get his hands on a weapon designed for the battlefield.

Ask yourself how many people in the midst of a psychotic episode have managed the same since.

The right to freely assemble has gotta be right near the top of any civilized society's list. Everytime any weapon of any kind gets into the wrong hands, it not a question of the merits of prohibition, rather it's a strengthened yet saddening commentary on the failure to regulate.

If this sounds like I'm bashing my good friends to the south, I'm not...I just might have a point of difference or two. 

And to the residents of the Danforth and the upstanding  citizens of Toronto, I'll quote the great civic leader of his adopted hometown of Boston, Big Papi,

THIS IS OUR FUCKING CITY

Stop making so much sense. It's very inappropriate here.

More than a few members here will assure you that the only lasting solution to shootings such as this is to dramatically increase the amount of guns & ammo in circulation. Every citizen packing and all schoolteachers armed is their perfect world.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 6:30 PM, SloopJonB said:

You might want to google that quote before you try to use it as an insult. 

A bit late to the party, as usual.

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

A bit late to the party, as usual.

Sorry for having a life and not living online waiting for every misstep you make. 

Yesterday the #TorontoShooting terrorist had a mental illness, and this guy will also have a mental illness. Maybe we should build less Mosques and more mental hospitals to solve the problem. I remind you, *Don’t jump to conclusions*, as it could be a Buddhist terrorist.

https://twitter.com/Imamofpeace/status/1021682560194072576

2 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Sorry for having a life and not living online waiting for every misstep you make. 

It is amazing how much time the Antifa mob spends patrolling this site.  

Zealotry will do that to folks!

11 minutes ago, J28 said:

It is amazing how much time the Antifa mob spends patrolling this site.  

Zealotry will do that to folks!

One good thing I've noticed is that far frwer folks are responding to Random. Nothing hurts like being ignored. Good work gents!

40 minutes ago, chinabald said:

But since you doubled down. 

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence.

So? You guys still can't get it right which was the original point.

16 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

But the irony is your post proves my point we've been making here for years!!!!  Prohibition doesn't work.  Bad people will always find ways to get what they are forbidden to have.  How many times do we have to keep doing the same thing over and over again (booze , drugs and gunz) expecting a different result.  

You're not having a "biggish" problem in TOR because of the US or Canadian gun laws.  You are having a biggish problem Toronto is not addressing the root causes of why people are choosing to use violence to resolve disputes.  And I would bet a large % of your "biggish" problem stems from your prohibition on drugs and the drug black market.  Just saying.

He merely suggested where the guns came from, its not like he's asking you to pay for a wall.

We don't have gun prohibition we have gun regulation. It helps to keep them from the goofy people.

17 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

https://www.straight.com/cannabis/1092911/justin-trudeau-confirms-official-date-legal-weed-canada

try again...

5 hours ago, Bluto said:

We don't have gun prohibition we have gun regulation. It helps to keep them from the goofy people.

Yeah, how did that work out for you?

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
8 hours ago, fufkin said:

THIS IS OUR FUCKING CITY

Stop making so much sense. It's very inappropriate here.

Except he really didn't make much sense at all.  It was a beautiful and emotional rant, but I honestly am not seeing what his point was.  If you do know, feel free to distill it for me.

More than a few members here will assure you that the only lasting solution to shootings such as this is to dramatically increase the amount of guns & ammo in circulation. Every citizen packing and all schoolteachers armed is their perfect world.

You LIE!  Not a single one of us here has EVER said that the solution to this issue was moar gunz.  Not once.  Show us one post where any of us have advocated for dramatically increasing gunz and ammo and arming all citizens and teachers.  

8 hours ago, fufkin said:

This is not the time to split hairs or be witty.  Why not?  Every single time there is a shooting in the US, your elk jump onto the "gunz are bad" bandwagon within seconds.  Even before the bodies are lukewarm.  And what hairs are we splitting?  Is it or is it not true that Canada's tough gun laws did not stop this mass shooting?

But I will mention a couple of points to my friends to the south who might misunderstand what Keith referred to as 'culture'. If I understand him correctly he is referring to a gun culture that is or at least has been somewhat more germane to the U.S. than Canada. A comparison of per capita gun ownership might be a place to  start.  And???

Gun control in Canada is not bound by the almost sacred adherence to a constitutional ammendment...rather it is one of many issues that fall within the effort to maintain a balance between freedom and safety. Other issues in the same basket might be, say, surveillance, search and seizure, areas of our hate speech code, property rights, the right to self-defence, police presence, the list goes on ...but as far as mincing US and Canada on this...well you'd be hard pressed to find a lobbyist equivalent to the NRA in Canada. A few years ago we had a long gun registration initiative that kind of went on for a while until everyone kinda forgot about it.  Yes, I 100% agree with you on this.  Canada is NOTHING like the US wrt to gun ownership or "gun culture".  You do not have the barriers to enact or enforce much stricter gun laws that we do because of the 2nd Amendment.  And yet.... you still have pockets of gun violence that approach a similar size US city.  Ask yourself why that is.  If gunz are so much harder to get and so much more regulated, why was this fuckstick able to do what he did?  I am not in anyway suggesting that Canada changes their gun laws to match the US.  Quite the contrary.  If stiff regulations floats your boat, enjoy.  My point is that prohibitory laws rarely if ever stop the behavior that it seeks to stop.  If anything, it makes it worse because it drives the behavior to the black market where the profit motive will far outweigh the penalties for getting caught.  That's why there is so much violence in US inner cities and other places where the drug trade is epidemic is because the profit motive for killing a gang rival is SO MUCH HIGHER than the risk of getting caught and going to jail.  In fact among the drug gangs, jail time is a given.  A right of passage.  And typically a training ground for even more violence for when they get released.

The argument that the bad guy will kill  regardless, whether a knife or a gun happens to be handy, is well worn, but obscures a large part of the picture. It rests on elected officials and the will of the people to change the narrative radically. Public safety, on a physical and psychological level is being eroded to the point that mass killings are becoming normalized.  Its not at all well worn out.  It continues to be confirmed over and over again.  Incidents like this in Canada, Europe and AUS make it even more germaine because it shows that no matter how strict you have regulations and prohibitions on tools, determined people will find a way to still kill other people.  You are however, correct in what you say that we, through our public officials, need to change the narrative.  The current narrative is that its ok and acceptable to use violence to get your way or resolve disputes.  It is reinforced on us through barrages of media starting at birth and it never lets up.  TV, print, music, games, social media, movies, news, etc ALL glorify and amplify violence in everyday society to the point where our society is numb to it.  And then we wonder why some people snap and commit violence.  Its why depressed teens now pick up daddy's hunting shotgun and go kill classmates at school instead of just putting it in their mouth first and pulling the trigger the traditional way like depressed teens used to do.  Because its the "cool" and acceptable thing to do to take out as many people with you before you commit suicide by cop.  

Yeah we get it. Guns aren't illegal in Norway and look what happened and ya we can't outlaw white panel vans if someone wants to rent and weaponize one.  Correct, which is why we need to address the root causes of the behavior itself instead of focusing on white panel vans and handguns.

But at least try to consider that if guns aren't the whole problem they are damn well part of it. The amount of normalized killing glorified in filth like Active Shooter Video games has got to be reconsidered as something detrimental to not only public decency, but public safety even if banning it runs up against elements of free speech.  Careful now..... you are advocating what I've been saying all along that if society REALLY wants to end the problem of mass killings - that we would be far better off and more efficient to go after freedom of speech, privacy and due process rights than to worry about banning and regulating tools.  What you're saying is "Cray Zee" and the lefties here will brand you a gun lover for even mentioning abridging their holy of holies....  I suspect your boy sloopy is muttering to himself right now under his breath "Shhhhhh.....   shut up, shut up shutup!"

I remember being lucky enough to run into and have a convo at the local Starbucks in Coconut Grove with a retired 3 star general. It was the morning after the Virginia Tech shooting. Among other things he was baffled at how a mentally disturbed individual could so easily get his hands on a weapon designed for the battlefield.  Which battlefield was the Va Tech Shooter's ordinary 10 shot .22 pistol designed for?  Oh shit, I just said Beetlejuice three times.....

Ask yourself how many people in the midst of a psychotic episode have managed the same since.  Again, that sounds more like a Privacy rights issue more than a gun rights issue.  I have no problem preventing mentally ill people from having gunz.  How do you do that?  Who determines who is Cray Zee and who is not?  Is every person seeking treatment for any kind of mental illness banned from touching a gun?  The devil is in the details.  I think we can craft a law that would address this, but it will involve loss of other rights along the way that the gun grabberz seem unwilling to address.  

The right to freely assemble has gotta be right near the top of any civilized society's list. Everytime any weapon of any kind gets into the wrong hands, it not a question of the merits of prohibition, rather it's a strengthened yet saddening commentary on the failure to regulateSo what do you suggest?  If it is a failure to regulate, what more regulations do you want instead?  It sounds like Canada is all on board with gun regulation.  So it doesn't seem to me to be a failure to regulate as much as a failure to understand that regulation has limits and that we easily cannot regulate the behavior of someone who deliberately chooses to break that law.  And instead we need to address the root causes of violence and mental illness.

If this sounds like I'm bashing my good friends to the south, I'm not...I just might have a point of difference or two.  So what is your point?  What is it you're trying to say?

THIS IS OUR FUCKING CITY  Then do something!

As I said to sloopy, I'm still not even sure what you're trying to say here with this emotional missive.  Do you have a point or are you just venting.  Nothing wrong with just venting, btw.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:30 PM, SloopJonB said:

A PUN is the lowest form of wit,

It does not tax the brain a bit,

One merely take a word that's plain

then picks another that sounds the same,

To this one only adds a twist

which much delights the humorist.

A sample here will help to show

how a good pun ought to go:

it's not the cough that carries you off,

it's the coffin they carry you off in.

5 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

And Bluto takes another pie in the face...

11 hours ago, Bluto said:

He merely suggested where the guns came from, its not like he's asking you to pay for a wall.

One joke I heard ... Canada has the best wall in the world, the USA.

If Canada bordered Central America like the USA does, you probably would have a different kinds of problem with guns. We're like the big stupid bodyguard with mustard stains on his t-shirt, and who has the job to hang around Rachel McAdams.

5 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

They must be doing something right up there, their homicide rate is only about 1/3 of our's and they still have access to guns.

I suspect it has something to do with Canada's strong social programs, healthcare and anti-poverty work.

4 minutes ago, mikewof said:

They must be doing something right up there, their homicide rate is only about 1/3 of our's and they still have access to guns.

I suspect it has something to do with Canada's strong social programs, healthcare and anti-poverty work.

….or their crazies migrate south to warmer climes.....

5 minutes ago, warbird said:

If by "crazies" you mean those damned Canadian Geese, then yes, I agree. Most obnoxious birds on the face of the earth.

One thing that gets overlooked a lot is that the USA is -- by at least one measure -- the most humane nation on Earth, we have 75 million dogs for a population only about 5 times bigger than that. Our country is filled with dog parks, humane treatment laws, no-kill animal shelters. Unfortunately, we tend to treat dogs better than humans here. If we chained every homeless person to a dog, our homeless problem would disappear as do-gooders around the country would rush to get those dogs housed.

A  pal spent $210 on a cat yesterday at the vet's. The cat was bitten, likely by a copperhead. No antivenin was given but with bloodtests and Xrays ....

I like cat. It's the other other white meat* but $210 for one cat? 210 (275 CAD, 159£) would likely buy 500 cats, or a nice bag o' weed.

And the cat would either survive or not anyway. Weed would have done more good than the vet.

*some one else's great line.

6 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

1 hour ago, J28 said:

And Bluto takes another pie in the face...

Do you two know each other?

Nope.  He’s much more engaged than I am.  I’m here to point out lefty hypocrisy, unhinginess and groupthink.  It’s a yuuuuuge job!

Thanks for asking!

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

If by "crazies" you mean those damned Canadian Geese, then yes, I agree. Most obnoxious birds on the face of the earth.

One thing that gets overlooked a lot is that the USA is -- by at least one measure -- the most humane nation on Earth, we have 75 million dogs for a population only about 5 times bigger than that. Our country is filled with dog parks, humane treatment laws, no-kill animal shelters. Unfortunately, we tend to treat dogs better than humans here. If we chained every homeless person to a dog, our homeless problem would disappear as do-gooders around the country would rush to get those dogs housed.

In Kalifornia, you get in more trouble for leaving a dog in a hot car than you do for leaving a baby in a hot car.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Good idea.....

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

Ya think?  I've been saying this for a really long time but no one is listening.  What you wrote is what I've been saying is the real bulwark against gun crime more than gun regulations.

8 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Somewhat less than perfectly but a fuck of a lot better than it does for you.

You LIE!  Not a single one of us here has EVER said that the solution to this issue was moar gunz.  Not once.  Show us one post where any of us have advocated for dramatically increasing gunz and ammo and arming all citizens and teachers.  

Oh fuck you Jeffie - that doesn't even rise to the level of lying bullshit and everyone here knows it. All of you gun nutterz think guns are the answer to every problem.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

One joke I heard ... Canada has the best wall in the world, the USA.

If Canada bordered Central America like the USA does, you probably would have a different kinds of problem with guns. We're like the big stupid bodyguard with mustard stains on his t-shirt, and who has the job to hang around Rachel McAdams.

Bordering Mexico would dramatically reduce our gun smuggling problem - they primarily get theirs from the USA as well.

It would also reduce the drug smuggling problem dramatically since the customer base would be reduced by 90%. :D

2 hours ago, warbird said:

You would be wrong about that. They go south to buy guns & drugs and then bring them home.

As I said to sloopy, I'm still not even sure what you're trying to say here with this emotional missive.  Do you have a point or are you just venting.  Nothing wrong with just venting, btw.

16 hours ago,  fufkin said: 

This is not the time to split hairs or be witty.  Why not?  Every single time there is a shooting in the US, your elk jump onto the "gunz are bad" bandwagon within seconds.  Even before the bodies are lukewarm.  And what hairs are we splitting?  Is it or is it not true that Canada's tough gun laws did not stop this mass shooting?

But I will mention a couple of points to my friends to the south who might misunderstand what Keith referred to as 'culture'. If I understand him correctly he is referring to a gun culture that is or at least has been somewhat more germane to the U.S. than Canada. A comparison of per capita gun ownership might be a place to  start.  And???

Gun control in Canada is not bound by the almost sacred adherence to a constitutional ammendment...rather it is one of many issues that fall within the effort to maintain a balance between freedom and safety. Other issues in the same basket might be, say, surveillance, search and seizure, areas of our hate speech code, property rights, the right to self-defence, police presence, the list goes on ...but as far as mincing US and Canada on this...well you'd be hard pressed to find a lobbyist equivalent to the NRA in Canada. A few years ago we had a long gun registration initiative that kind of went on for a while until everyone kinda forgot about it.  Yes, I 100% agree with you on this.  Canada is NOTHING like the US wrt to gun ownership or "gun culture".  You do not have the barriers to enact or enforce much stricter gun laws that we do because of the 2nd Amendment.  And yet.... you still have pockets of gun violence that approach a similar size US city.  Ask yourself why that is.  If gunz are so much harder to get and so much more regulated, why was this fuckstick able to do what he did?  I am not in anyway suggesting that Canada changes their gun laws to match the US.  Quite the contrary.  If stiff regulations floats your boat, enjoy.  My point is that prohibitory laws rarely if ever stop the behavior that it seeks to stop.  If anything, it makes it worse because it drives the behavior to the black market where the profit motive will far outweigh the penalties for getting caught.  That's why there is so much violence in US inner cities and other places where the drug trade is epidemic is because the profit motive for killing a gang rival is SO MUCH HIGHER than the risk of getting caught and going to jail.  In fact among the drug gangs, jail time is a given.  A right of passage.  And typically a training ground for even more violence for when they get released.

The argument that the bad guy will kill  regardless, whether a knife or a gun happens to be handy, is well worn, but obscures a large part of the picture. It rests on elected officials and the will of the people to change the narrative radically. Public safety, on a physical and psychological level is being eroded to the point that mass killings are becoming normalized.  Its not at all well worn out.  It continues to be confirmed over and over again.  Incidents like this in Canada, Europe and AUS make it even more germaine because it shows that no matter how strict you have regulations and prohibitions on tools, determined people will find a way to still kill other people.  You are however, correct in what you say that we, through our public officials, need to change the narrative.  The current narrative is that its ok and acceptable to use violence to get your way or resolve disputes.  It is reinforced on us through barrages of media starting at birth and it never lets up.  TV, print, music, games, social media, movies, news, etc ALL glorify and amplify violence in everyday society to the point where our society is numb to it.  And then we wonder why some people snap and commit violence.  Its why depressed teens now pick up daddy's hunting shotgun and go kill classmates at school instead of just putting it in their mouth first and pulling the trigger the traditional way like depressed teens used to do.  Because its the "cool" and acceptable thing to do to take out as many people with you before you commit suicide by cop.  

Yeah we get it. Guns aren't illegal in Norway and look what happened and ya we can't outlaw white panel vans if someone wants to rent and weaponize one.  Correct, which is why we need to address the root causes of the behavior itself instead of focusing on white panel vans and handguns.

But at least try to consider that if guns aren't the whole problem they are damn well part of it. The amount of normalized killing glorified in filth like Active Shooter Video games has got to be reconsidered as something detrimental to not only public decency, but public safety even if banning it runs up against elements of free speech.  Careful now..... you are advocating what I've been saying all along that if society REALLY wants to end the problem of mass killings - that we would be far better off and more efficient to go after freedom of speech, privacy and due process rights than to worry about banning and regulating tools.  What you're saying is "Cray Zee" and the lefties here will brand you a gun lover for even mentioning abridging their holy of holies....  I suspect your boy sloopy is muttering to himself right now under his breath "Shhhhhh.....   shut up, shut up shutup!"

I remember being lucky enough to run into and have a convo at the local Starbucks in Coconut Grove with a retired 3 star general. It was the morning after the Virginia Tech shooting. Among other things he was baffled at how a mentally disturbed individual could so easily get his hands on a weapon designed for the battlefield.  Which battlefield was the Va Tech Shooter's ordinary 10 shot .22 pistol designed for?  Oh shit, I just said Beetlejuice three times.....

Ask yourself how many people in the midst of a psychotic episode have managed the same since.  Again, that sounds more like a Privacy rights issue more than a gun rights issue.  I have no problem preventing mentally ill people from having gunz.  How do you do that?  Who determines who is Cray Zee and who is not?  Is every person seeking treatment for any kind of mental illness banned from touching a gun?  The devil is in the details.  I think we can craft a law that would address this, but it will involve loss of other rights along the way that the gun grabberz seem unwilling to address.  

The right to freely assemble has gotta be right near the top of any civilized society's list. Everytime any weapon of any kind gets into the wrong hands, it not a question of the merits of prohibition, rather it's a strengthened yet saddening commentary on the failure to regulate.  So what do you suggest?  If it is a failure to regulate, what more regulations do you want instead?  It sounds like Canada is all on board with gun regulation.  So it doesn't seem to me to be a failure to regulate as much as a failure to understand that regulation has limits and that we easily cannot regulate the behavior of someone who deliberately chooses to break that law.  And instead we need to address the root causes of violence and mental illness.

If this sounds like I'm bashing my good friends to the south, I'm not...I just might have a point of difference or two.  So what is your point?  What is it you're trying to say?

THIS IS OUR FUCKING CITY  Then do something!

As I said to sloopy, I'm still not even sure what you're trying to say here with this emotional missive.  Do you have a point or are you just venting.  Nothing wrong with just venting, 

-------------------------------------------------------------/--------

1 Elk is an animal. Maybe you meant ilk. Maybe you watched The Deerhunter one too many times. Dunno. By referring to 'you and your ilk', do you mean that Sloop and I are both Canadian? Find any previous comment by me on gun regulation anywhere on the planet. Not possible. There is no bandwagon and yes the bodies are still warm.

2 your point on gun culture...currently the language up here still spells it guns, not 'gunz'. As for your laws making it more difficult than ours to procure...go to Reno and bring your last chips to the pawn shop. Or skip states...or simply go to the gun show. Your point on the black market is taken.

3 your counterpoint to the 'well worn' knife or a gun argument is well thought out. I'm glad you agree that everytime you put a fake gun into an at risk person's hand via the route of simulated carnage on a video game, or saturate television and movies with a level of violence that all of society becomes desensitized to, it is time to shift the narrative from 'rights' to 'mental health'. You understand that it's more important to look at 'root causes' for behaviour. So consider  that the proliferation of guns, both real and imagined on television, are part and parcel of the 'root cause'.

4 I'm glad you see a route to 'crafting a law' that will keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, yet might 'involve the loss of other rights along the way'. Somethings gotta give.

5 My point? Don't conflate U.S. and Canadian gun laws, nor what we can and cannot do about them. I believe I've already made this point and won't try again.

6 As for 'venting' or 'missive', I'm pretty sure it's illegal to bait elk in the states as well, no?

37 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Ya think?  I've been saying this for a really long time but no one is listening.  What you wrote is what I've been saying is the real bulwark against gun crime more than gun regulations.

There are two way to prevent gun homicides ... restrict guns or fight poverty. Wealthy countries (like the USA) tend to have relatively low homicide rates compared to poor countries. Within the USA, wealthy counties tend to have lower homicide rates than poor counties.

So yeah, you would probably be correct if that's your take. But the problem we have here in the USA is that Team Gun is often the team most opposed to anti-poverty spending.

27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Bordering Mexico would dramatically reduce our gun smuggling problem - they primarily get theirs from the USA as well.

It would also reduce the drug smuggling problem dramatically since the customer base would be reduced by 90%. :D

I'm not sure about this. Canadians seem to love their drugs just as much as us Americans.

Anyway, it's a silly hypothetical, no need to debate nonsense like this. I'm more interested in what we can learn from Canada for social safety nets.

4 minutes ago, fufkin said:
1 Elk is an animal. Maybe you meant ilk.

Yeah, but Gator is back again. So it's "you and your elk."

Speaking of which, does anyone plan to come to Colorado or Wyoming this year for some ilk hunting?

24 minutes ago, mikewof said:

There are two way to prevent gun homicides ... restrict guns or fight poverty. Wealthy countries (like the USA) tend to have relatively low homicide rates compared to poor countries. Within the USA, wealthy counties tend to have lower homicide rates than poor counties.

So yeah, you would probably be correct if that's your take. But the problem we have here in the USA is that Team Gun is often the team most opposed to anti-poverty spending.

The gun problem here is mostly gangsters and trust me, they ain't poor.

Just endlessly greedy for money & power.

Fufkin and RKoch gave both fallen prey to the very well known, and dumb convention of elk/ilk lately. It was funny but the thrill is gone.

Meanwhile the elephant in the room is:

On 7/23/2018 at 6:45 PM, Mohammed Bin Lyin said:

The offender was Faisal Hussain.

34673342_2121520384745535_560584671981731840_n.jpg

18 hours ago, fufkin said:

A few years ago we had a long gun registration initiative that kind of went on for a while until everyone kinda forgot about it.

I wish we could emulate this Canadian progress (minus the wasted money) but our grabberz never, ever forget to continue and expand a gun control program.

12 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I wish we could emulate this Canadian progress (minus the wasted money) but our grabberz never, ever forget to continue and expand a gun control program.

O/K, so I weakened and read this post.

The difference, that you predictably fail to grasp, is that our gun regulations were already so strong and effective that the long gun registry added little or no more security and at huge cost.

It was scrapped purely on a cost benefit basis.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The gun problem here is mostly gangsters and trust me, they ain't poor.

Just endlessly greedy for money & power.

I don't know about Canada, but that sounds similar to here. The problem isn't that poor people are armed, they usually aren't. But that poverty creates its own economies that encourage gun homicides.

Poor people are more likely to self medicate with illegal drugs, because the legal ones are too expensive. That drug trade leads to drug violence. Disagreements for people in poverty are more likely to never see the Courts system, because civil courts are often expensive and not trusted. Poverty encourages things like home break-ins and armed robbery.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

The difference, that you predictably fail to grasp, is that our gun regulations were already so strong and effective that the long gun registry added little or no more security and at huge cost.

That's exactly why I don't wish to sign up to have my assault weapon confiscated upon my death.

You somehow seem to see that as a bad thing. Yet you don't do anything to promote bans on (assault weapons, ordinary .22's) in Canada and have said you would oppose them.

Why is it so bad when I do it?

No one in or near Toronto really needs a gun

Toronto Mayor John Tory made an impassioned statement to his City Council on Monday following the deadly shooting in a popular Toronto neighborhood the night before. 

“I have said for some time that this city has a gun problem and that guns are far to readily available for far too many people,” Tory said. “This is an international problem and this is a domestic problem. There are far too many people carrying around guns in our city and our region who should not have them.”

“You’ve heard me ask the question of why anybody would need to buy 10 or 20 guns, which they can lawfully do under the present laws,” Tory continued. “And that leads to another question we need to discuss: Why does anyone in this city need to have a gun at all?” 

Having one is the same as having 10 or 20, you're still part of the scourge of gun ownership.

42 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

No one in or near Toronto really needs a gun

Having one is the same as having 10 or 20, you're still part of the scourge of gun ownership.

unfortunately that  Toronto mayor wasn't smart enough to say,

"Far too many criminals have illegal guns and the for profit legal system does little or nothing to stop it" 

that's the real problem here in little ole Canada..... 

• Like 1

You got it. Our legal system is a joke.

We had a case not long ago where a known gangster was stopped and his car searched. He had a loaded, illegal pistol in a built in steel box under the seat.

The brain dead judge let him go because "they couldn't prove the gun was his".

17 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You got it. Our legal system is a joke.

We had a case not long ago where a known gangster was stopped and his car searched. He had a loaded, illegal pistol in a built in steel box under the seat.

The brain dead judge let him go because "they couldn't prove the gun was his".

Yes but they still took the gun.   My friend who is a member in the rcmp, calls it death by a thousand paper cuts.  The cops harass the gangsters, jaywalking, traffic stops, ect.  One less illegal gun.  

IMO Canada does not suffer front he same mass murder rate due to our social safety nets, and our excellent public school systems.  Yes some will fall through the cracks, but the cracks are hairline compared to the USA.

7 minutes ago, Irish River said:

Yes but they still took the gun.   My friend who is a member in the rcmp, calls it death by a thousand paper cuts.  The cops harass the gangsters, jaywalking, traffic stops, ect.  One less illegal gun. 

My son is a Mountie so I get the straight scoop on the idiocies of our legal system.

They have to be careful about rousting the assholes or they face harassment charges. They managed to roust them off the North Shore and out of Vancouver City but not so much in Burnaby or Surrey.

Abbotsford is currently paying the price - the thugs destination of choice.

Our legal system is full of Judges who are so fucking weak and stupid that I sometimes think electing them would be a better option.

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
21 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Oh fuck you Jeffie - that doesn't even rise to the level of lying bullshit and everyone here knows it. All of you gun nutterz think guns are the answer to every problem.

We do?  Based on what?  Because you "'feel" that way and it sounds good?  More bullshit lies.  Fuck, you're as bad as trump.  Get caught in a lie and you double down on more BS lies.  Dude, when you find yourself at the bottom of a hole - stop digging!

The Islamic state have claimed this attack was done by one of their supporters, of course the apologists deny this.

toronto.jpg

Who was the Danforth shooter? Faisal Hussain had no criminal court files associated with his name, but a complicated past full of family misfortune

Sukhera has no idea how Hussain could have got his hands on a gun, particularly since he didn’t have any money, Sukhera said.

Last year brought another blow. Faisal’s older brother, Fahad Hussain, suffered a drug overdose last summer and as of January this year remained in a “vegetative” state at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, court records show.

Last September — while Fahad was in a coma — fire crews responded to a carbon monoxide alarm at the Pickering home and alerted police to a suspicious substance in the basement. Durham Regional Police executed a search warrant, finding 33 guns and other prohibited devices, such as overcapacity magazines, and seized 53 kilograms of a substance identified as the deadly street drug carfentanil.

Ansari, who owns the home, was charged with 337 firearm-related offences. He is out on bail. The Star contacted Ansari through his lawyer, who said his case is still before the courts and he has no comment.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/07/24/danforth-gunman-not-on-the-radar-of-national-security-agencies-safety-minister-says.html

Of course the gun grabbers will exploit any gun tragedy to push their agenda of banning guns.

After looking at the footage of this Jihadi walking down the road shooting people I can say at least the Americans would have had something other than a camera to shoot the offender with.

12 hours ago, fufkin said:

-------------------------------------------------------------/--------

1 Elk is an animal. Maybe you meant ilk. Maybe you watched The Deerhunter one too many times. Dunno. By referring to 'you and your ilk', do you mean that Sloop and I are both Canadian? Find any previous comment by me on gun regulation anywhere on the planet. Not possible. There is no bandwagon and yes the bodies are still warm.

2 your point on gun culture...currently the language up here still spells it guns, not 'gunz'. As for your laws making it more difficult than ours to procure...go to Reno and bring your last chips to the pawn shop. Or skip states...or simply go to the gun show. Your point on the black market is taken.

3 your counterpoint to the 'well worn' knife or a gun argument is well thought out. I'm glad you agree that everytime you put a fake gun into an at risk person's hand via the route of simulated carnage on a video game, or saturate television and movies with a level of violence that all of society becomes desensitized to, it is time to shift the narrative from 'rights' to 'mental health'. You understand that it's more important to look at 'root causes' for behaviour. So consider  that the proliferation of guns, both real and imagined on television, are part and parcel of the 'root cause'.

4 I'm glad you see a route to 'crafting a law' that will keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, yet might 'involve the loss of other rights along the way'. Somethings gotta give.

5 My point? Don't conflate U.S. and Canadian gun laws, nor what we can and cannot do about them. I believe I've already made this point and won't try again.

6 As for 'venting' or 'missive', I'm pretty sure it's illegal to bait elk in the states as well, no?

1.  Elk is an inside PA joke.  As is "evadent" in place of evident.  For someone with almost 800 posts here, I would have thought you would have picked up on it.  Search is your friend.

2.  Both pawn shops and gun shows still have to run Federal NICS background check on you just the same as if you bought a gun at a brick and mortar gun store.  Currently the only way to avoid the background the NICS check is to buy from a private seller.  Not a single mass shooting in the US, that I am aware of, has been perpetrated with a gun purchased outside of the NICS background check system.  And I have no issue with common sense regulation, I have numerous times gone further than the gun lobby here in calling for expanded background checks and mental health screenings.  But your shooting in Canada highlights the point that no matter how hard you try to stop it, a blackmarket and a committed person who doesn't care about the law will find a way.  So a draconian regulatory environment that crushes the 99% of the law abiding to address the 1% of bad people who are going to break the law anyway is not - to my mind - a useful or efficient use of resources and loss of rights.

3.  I have numerous times, again, said that taking away or abridging other rights than just gun rights is a far more efficient way to deal with public safety issues.  The gun grabberz ignore that because they don't care about rights that they do not exercise.  But the moment you suggest taking something away that they DO care about (Speech, privacy, due process, etc.) they scream bloody murder.  Yes, somethings gotta give.  But good luck convincing them of giving something they hold dear.  The fact of the matter is that the price of free speech, the press, privacy and due process is also dead kids.  No one wants to wrap their mind around that aspect though.

4.  See #3.  Screening mentally ill folks from getting gunz CAN be done and with enough thought, can be done fairly and sensibly as long as there are appropriate safeguards in place.  But it would involve a significant invasion of privacy rights.  Hence why there is no will to do so, because it involves abridging rights they care about.  But the gun rights people in the US can just go fuck themselves apparently in their mind.

5.  Not sure where you read that I conflated the two country's laws  I was pretty sure in my post I acknowledged clearly you do not have that pesky 2nd amendment to get in the way of taking people's rights away.  

6.  Fair enough

1 hour ago, Irish River said:

Yep, and I would bet that the gangster had a replacement gun in his hands '''within about 6-9 sec after he got back to his 'hood.  

IMO Canada does not suffer front he same mass murder rate due to our social safety nets, and our excellent public school systems.  Yes some will fall through the cracks, but the cracks are hairline compared to the USA.

Thank you.  Yet another Canukian who acknowledges that Canada's lower gun crime rate is due to addressing the root causes of violence rather than just tougher gun laws.  It seems the chorus of converts to my POV are growing louder by the day.  

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

O/K, so I weakened and read this post.

It was scrapped purely on a cost benefit basis.

Cool, I add you to the growing list of people who think an assault weapon ban in the US adds little security and huge costs - given that long guns are used in a tiny % of gun crimes.  I knew you would come around.  

We still need to ban ordinary .22s though.... they are the REAL killers.  

7 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Yep, and I would bet that the gangster had a replacement gun in his hands '''within about 6-9 sec after he got back to his 'hood.  

Thank you.  Yet another Canukian who acknowledges that Canada's lower gun crime rate is due to addressing the root causes of violence rather than just tougher gun laws.  It seems the chorus of converts to my POV are growing louder by the day.  

I support strict gun laws too.  Mandatory training, gun safes, trigger locks, ammo stored in separate place, and background checks.  You know, common sense.  I want guns to be hard to find for children and mentally disturbed people. I also want the baddies to have limited access to finding them.

9 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

We do?  Based on what?  Because you "'feel" that way and it sounds good?  More bullshit lies.  Fuck, you're as bad as trump.  Get caught in a lie and you double down on more BS lies.  Dude, when you find yourself at the bottom of a hole - stop digging!

Go back and read any of the innumerable gun threads and try and tell us that the gun nutterz want anything but an ocean of guns.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Go back and read any of the innumerable gun threads and try and tell us that the gun nutterz want anything but an ocean of guns.

I have.  And none of those gun threads say anything even remotely similar to that.  Please, post some examples of what you are talking about.  

Change Trump Supporter to Gun Nut and this will suffice

image.png.8cb9c3884e15ed8c22e61c747fc8216b.png

14 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I have.  And none of those gun threads say anything even remotely similar to that.  Please, post some examples of what you are talking about.  

Look who you're asking. I posted about a dozen posts about the first amendment in a first amendment thread. Sloop's response? "Without looking, I know this is all about (assault weapons, ordinary .22's.)

If he was ready to consider or accept facts, he would not be a lead singer in the grabber chorus.

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Change Trump Supporter to Gun Nut and this will suffice

That was a long winded way of saying:  "Yes, you're right Jeff.  I got nothing and was wrong to accuse you of something you've never said".  

I accept your apology.

You're getting really good at making up your own responses to your own questions.

Seems to be about 50% self responses and 50% real responses.

On 7/25/2018 at 7:10 AM, mikewof said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/28/colorado-man-spits-on-officer-strikes-him-with-car-after-ticket-for-leaving-dogs-in-hot-car-as-ate-report.amp.html

i wonder if they were Assault Dogs?!

On 7/26/2018 at 12:00 AM, mikewof said:

On 7/26/2018 at 12:05 AM, warbird said:

or maybe they're generally just nicer people.

someone had to say it.

HEY!

Fuck You!

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

HEY!

Fuck You!

well I DID say generally. :D