Sign in to follow this  
Grrr...

Making a New Table for a Catalina 30.

The "standard" table that comes with a catalina 30 is horribly heavy - my 13 year old has trouble slinging it around without hitting everything in sight.  I'm looking at making a new one.  I've been thinking on and off about the right construction method.  My initial thoughts were to grab an old doorwall for the smooth glass so I can layup the initial layers of glass on it.  After that I was thinking using some type of foam (blue construction foam from home depot?) as the center medium.  Another couple layers of glass on the other side, and then clean it up and make it look pretty.

My concern comes because I truthfully don't know how many layers of glass to use to make the thing strong enough.  At some point I expect it only to be supported by the ends and having one my kids jump on it - because they are kids and it's likely to happen.  Should I cut the panels of foam in squares so that are several spots where the glass forms internal ribs?  It's about 3'x3'.

I'm not interested in vaccum bagging.  I don't have the equipment for that at home and I don't think this project needs it.

The table on my Catalina is about 5/4 thick. When I refinish it, I plan to use a router to hog out the underside to about 1/2" wherever there's no hardware. I think I can drop the weight almost in half without the pain of having to build a new table. 

A single lam of 1708 on each side should be sufficient.  With this layup, the total weight for a 3x3 surface should be 7-8 lb.  If you want to go a touch lighter - you could go single lam of 1200 biax on the top side(tension side) and 2 lams of the same on the bottom (compression side).  That would come out around 5-6 lb

If using  the blue foam board (XPS) you have to use epoxy.  Polyester resin will dissolve XPS foam almost instantly.

Careful if you intend to race PHRF.  Some regions require original tables and doors be aboard, or you have to declare a change.

Just now, WoobaGooba said:

Careful if you intend to race PHRF.  Some regions require original tables and doors be aboard, or you have to declare a change.

Yeah - the bathroom door is already removed for comfort and ease of access.  But this was a $3000 special that we've been fixing up as we go.  I'm not gonna drop $15k on a full set of racing sails to race it.

Laminate 1/8" teak ply on both sides of blue foam and edge with some solid teak - won't weigh much at all and if you do good work it will look a lot better than the original.

• Like 2