random

7 things you should know about Diego Fucking Garcia

7 things you should know about Diego Fucking Garcia and renditions

Told ya it was evil.

MH370 is there somewhere.

"During the same period, Diego Garcia became a multi-billion-dollar Navy and Air Force base and a central node in U.S. military efforts to control the Greater Middle East and its oil and natural gas supplies. The base, which few Americans are aware of, is more important strategically and more secretive than the U.S. naval base-cum-prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba. Unlike Guantánamo, no journalist has gotten more than a glimpse of Diego Garcia inmore than 30 years. And yet, it has played a key role in waging the Gulf War, the 2003 invasion of Iraq, the U.S.-led war in Afghanistan, and the current bombing campaign against the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq."

Keeping America Great and protecting all the whiny little countries so Random and ShortBob have a forum to complain about every little thing that pops into their minds. It's like having a First Amendment for nothing. USA! USA!

• Like 3

I'm surprised it hasn't sunk by now, like Guam, with all the military stuff we've put on it.

• Like 3

Guam was going to capsize, not sink. They wanted to put too much stuff at one end.

14 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Keeping America Great and protecting all the whiny little countries so Random and ShortBob have a forum to complain about every little thing that pops into their minds. It's like having a First Amendment for nothing. USA! USA!

Thats funny. You know Australia had a detachment of f18's there to provide protection? 

Australia,  saving Americans since 1917.

• Like 2

The US military did not want any witnesses for what was to come.

Stealing a Nation (2004)

John Pilger Stealing a Nation

A look at the undercover effort by the UK and USA to remove the native population of the island of Diego Garcia and the Chagos archipelago (a British possession) so that it could become a US military base, this details the forced removal of over 2000 Chagossians to Mauritius. While there was some minor compensation from the UK government, they’re now largely living in extreme poverty while their homeland is taken up almost entirely by a massive US military staging post. Despite this negative publicity, in 2010, leaked diplomatic cables revealed a UK plan to turn the islands into a nature reserve to prevent the Chagossians from resettling there. In 2016, the UK announced they simply wouldn’t allow them to return.

23 minutes ago, random said:

The US military did not want any witnesses for what was to come.

Stealing a Nation (2004)

John Pilger Stealing a Nation

A look at the undercover effort by the UK and USA to remove the native population of the island of Diego Garcia and the Chagos archipelago (a British possession) so that it could become a US military base, this details the forced removal of over 2000 Chagossians to Mauritius. While there was some minor compensation from the UK government, they’re now largely living in extreme poverty while their homeland is taken up almost entirely by a massive US military staging post. Despite this negative publicity, in 2010, leaked diplomatic cables revealed a UK plan to turn the islands into a nature reserve to prevent the Chagossians from resettling there. In 2016, the UK announced they simply wouldn’t allow them to return.

They had to make room for the aliens that are breeding with the Chinese tourists from MH17.  Some sacrifices have to be made for the greater good.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:
On 7/23/2018 at 5:07 AM, random said:

MH370 is there somewhere.

Is it water damaged?

I thought about asking if it was filled with nanothermite, which seems as likely.

Also in the same range of likelihood: those documents in the article random posted being water damaged accidentally.

14 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Thats funny. You know Australia had a detachment of f18's there to provide protection? 

Australia,  saving Americans since 1917.

No shit? Where did they get the aircraft?

Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

Trump’s Income tax returns are at DFG along with Hillary’s emails, the moon landing production studio, the Coca Cola Recipe, Jimmy Hoffa,  Bush Beans Recipe, the missing 18 minutes of Nixon’s tapes, Colonel Sanders’ recipe,  Emelia  Erhart’s  plane, Elvis, and the original blue prints for Australia II’s keel.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Why is Diego always Fucking Garcia?

Does Garcia like it?

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Why is Diego always Fucking Garcia?

Does Garcia like it?

It’s just code for the anal probing

Based on his extensive knowledge of the base, the real question is how many times has Random been “probed” on DFG?  My guess is 6, possibly 7 times. 

3 hours ago, Monkey said:

Based on his extensive knowledge of the base, the real question is how many times has Random been “probed” on DFG?  My guess is 6, possibly 7 times. 

"You're not in this for the hunting, are you?" 

3 hours ago, Monkey said:

Random is sure that aliens have abducted him to the Island and both Diego and Garcia have probed.

History Lesson Time ...................

Their Island, Our Shame
Eve Ottenberg
June 17, 2009

Indigenous Indian Ocean islanders were brutally displaced nearly 40 years ago to make way for a U.S. military base.

Though small in number, the indigenous people of Diego Garcia and the Chagossian Islands in the Indian Ocean have endured a suffering both relentless and intense. In the early 1970s, they were brutally deracinated and dumped in Mauritius and Seychelles to make way for a U.S. military base.

Anthropologist David Vine reports in his new book, Island of Shame: The Secret History of the U.S. Military Base on Diego Garcia (Princeton, May), the islanders had homes—idyllic though modest—employment, healthcare, a diet of fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, enviable longevity, traditions, the memories of their ancestors and a cultural life extending back over centuries in the Chagos archipelago. But through a number of legalistic and diplomatic deceits promulgated by the British and U.S. governments, the archipelago’s 2,000 islanders was expelled, carted away in overcrowded ships without food or sanitation.

The dispossessed Chagossians received minute compensation. They were never paid for their expropriated homes. They lost their vegetable gardens and were not permitted to bring pets or belongings into exile. (Indeed, they watched their dogs be gassed to death and incinerated before they were ejected from the islands.) They lost their jobs in the coconut industry. No occupations awaited them in Mauritius, and they were not trained for new employment.

The Chagossians were basically dumped in their new “homes.” Many lived on the streets, while others paid exorbitant prices for tin shacks in slums. Moneylenders and merchants victimized them, taking their miserable hovels as collateral for loans and purchases and later evicting them. They could not find jobs. As outsiders and people of African—, not the more-privileged Indian—descent, they faced discrimination. Alcohol, drugs and suicide took a toll. Diet deteriorated. They died young, and illnesses utterly new to them—malnutrition, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, tuberculosis—became rampant. Large numbers became clinically depressed. Many simply died of broken hearts. They were treated, Vine writes, like “rubbish people.”

This was no accidental side effect of the military’s base construction. The military explicitly banned employment of any indigenous people on its base, though it imported workers from elsewhere. And it forbade return visits by the locals, even to tend the graves of their ancestors. It wasn’t until March, 2006, that bad publicity and court cases forced British authorities to permit one visit. Prior to the expulsion, all official reports portrayed the inhabitants as transient laborers rather than a native population. This was done in order to deny their existence and their right to the land, and thus to avoid all political, legal and financial redress.

Though one cannot know the exact attitude of U.S. officials, David Vine aptly quotes Henry Kissinger on the removal of the residents of the Marshall Islands in 1969: “There are only 90,000 people out there. Who gives a damn?” With that attitude, there was no hope for the 2,000 Chagossians. Clearly no one in power thought anyone would care about their fate.

The Chagossians’ displacement is not unique in the history of U.S. military bases abroad. But, as Vine points out, the lies fabricated to conceal the secret agreement in the Chagos Archpelgago are particularly astonishing. Secretary of State Dean Rusk described the islands to President Lyndon Johnson as “virtually uninhabited.” And in June 1964, the Johnson Administration pressured the Washington Post not to run stories that might cause trouble. The Post stories that were published referred to the population as “largely transient laborers.”

Vine does an excellent job of documenting the machinations of military planners and politicians in the 1960s and 1970s, as they sought to evade unwelcome attention from the press, the United Nations or any court system. This was the end of decolonization, the era of imperial plunder and ethnic cleansing was supposedly over and nothing would have looked worse than what was actually happening.

Vine details at length how no other empire has had as many foreign bases—roughly 1,000—as the United States. A few African islanders were not about to thwart the largest military machine in history. So a cast of characters, including foreign policy official Paul Nitze, Admiral Elmo Zumwalt, former White House and CIA official Robert Komer (infamous for running operation Phoenix in Vietnam) and Admiral Arleigh Burke concealed and misrepresented the removal of an inconvenient population. The stakes, as these pooh-bahs saw them, were quite high. Vine quotes military analyst John Pike telling him that the U.S. military’s goal is “to run the planet from Guam and Diego Garcia by 2015, even if the entire Eastern Hemisphere has drop-kicked us” from every other base. 

“Although the British Government and its agents performed most of the physical work involved in displacing the Chagossians,” Vine writes, “the U.S. Government ordered, orchestrated and financed the expulsion.” But recently the Chagossians have challenged the destiny so carefully prepared for them, and they have won court cases. They hope they may yet receive compensation and the right to return to their archipelago. After all, if gleaming yachts are allowed to dock on these gorgeous islands, why shouldn’t the original inhabitants be welcome there as well?

inthesetimes.com

• Like 1

Court cases? Heh heh. Wake up folks. Displacing 90k folks to protect billions of innocents on half the globe? And people are still whining about it 40 years later? To quote Johnny Mc: You must be kidding.

It's going to be a moot point after a few more years of rising sea levels.

Diego Garcia is heavily vegetated. The island covers 6,720 acres in area with a maximum height of 22 feet and an average elevation of four feet above sea level.

20 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

You, friend?  As if.......

Oh shit. I hurt yer last little feeling. Im so sorry podna. But that F18 slow pitch demanded to be hit outta the park, and if you had a sense of humor, you'd admit it.

Peace brother. I'm just here for the yuks mostly. With all you guys so far out in left field, and the several goofballs on the right field line, those of us in the infield have to get a laugh when we can. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It's going to be a moot point after a few more years of rising sea levels.

Diego Garcia is heavily vegetated. The island covers 6,720 acres in area with a maximum height of 22 feet and an average elevation of four feet above sea level.

I imagine that in a few more years the Saudis or the Indians will be thrilled to have us move in to keep China/Ruskies out. It's what we do best. USA!

Edit: We should have stayed in Arabia and hung on to Aramco. The world would be less crazy now.

Edited by Blue Crab
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I imagine that in a few more years the Saudis or the Indians will be thrilled to have us move in to keep China/Ruskies out. It's what we do best. USA!

Edit: We should have stayed in Arabia and hung on to Aramco. The world would be less crazy now.

Going Full Retard I see.

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Court cases? Heh heh. Wake up folks. Displacing 90k folks to protect billions of innocents on half the globe? And people are still whining about it 40 years later? To quote Johnny Mc: You must be kidding.

To invade innocent countries and kill hundreds of thousand of women and children. Get it right fuck face.

17 minutes ago, random said:

To invade innocent countries and kill hundreds of thousand of women and children. Get it right fuck face.

Fuck face? How uncharitable. I realize you don't know who's yer daddy but yo mama shoulda larned ya better than that.

Anyhow when yer right yer right. We've done some bad stuff for the wrong reasons.

Did you have anything to add on the topic, or was this just a random act of incivility?

No, just a random act.

3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Oh shit. I hurt yer last little feeling. Im so sorry podna. But that F18 slow pitch demanded to be hit outta the park, and if you had a sense of humor, you'd admit it.

Peace brother. I'm just here for the yuks mostly. With all you guys so far out in left field, and the several goofballs on the right field line, those of us in the infield have to get a laugh when we can. 

And you call me a troll:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

You obviously don't know, apart from the first 2, that they were built in Australia.

Dickhead.

I suppose your friend wants information about a rash too?

Fuck it I'm sending these guys in to clean up DFG and find MH370

They could do it and they fuck over Americans.

https://youtu.be/nqFVOL7mLd4

13 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

You obviously don't know, apart from the first 2, that they were built in Australia.

Dickhead.

I suppose your friend wants information about a rash too?

You guys can't build anything on your own. If you mean assembled, I'll agree. 

Apologies to non-whiny Aussies.

"Ease the sheets, cleanup on aisle 3."

16 hours ago, random said:

Like the English did to the  Aboriginies?

5 hours ago, See Level said:

Like the English did to the  Aboriginies?

Yeah a little bit like that, except that they weren't claiming they were doing it to in supposed retaliation for something.

You know, like the Americans convinced their own people that invading Iraq and killing all those women and children was because of 9/11.  When every other person on the planet saw that Saddam had nothing to do with it.  Even people posting here admitted that they supported that at the time.  Incredible isn't it?

But otherwise it was the same as the British.

21 hours ago, random said:

You know, like the Americans convinced their own people that invading Iraq and killing all those women and children was because of 9/11.  When every other person on the planet saw that Saddam had nothing to do with it.  Even people posting here admitted that they supported that at the time.  Incredible isn't it? 

People like Hillary and McCain who voted for that war as still well regarded and people like Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich who opposed it are still considered nutz.

Things haven't changed much, which is why there is Duopoly consensus that the wise thing to do now is continue to let Donald Friggin' Trump have unilateral war-making power.

A friend has a quick technical meeting in Diego F'ing Garcia next week. 

Any questions about what life is like on that island?

The island isn't so secret.  I put together C5 load plans for our AA missile battery back during the 1980 Carter "Hostage Crisis". Diego Garcia would have been the stepping off point to sand land,:o

On 7/26/2018 at 4:59 AM, Blue Crab said:

Wake up folks. Displacing 90k folks to protect billions of innocents on half the globe

You mean so they can launch attacks on people who live in mud huts who just want the invaders to fuck off home?

Are these god damned aliens in DFG going to fuck up my bird for tomorrow?  I just put it in the brine.   

1 hour ago, warbird said:

The island isn't so secret.  I put together C5 load plans for our AA missile battery back during the 1980 Carter "Hostage Crisis". Diego Garcia would have been the stepping off point to sand land,:o

I'm curious to what life is like over there ... fishing, diving, the PX, the bars ... somewhat odd there, wouldn't you agree?

53 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

Are these god damned aliens in DFG going to fuck up my bird for tomorrow?  I just put it in the brine.   

"Brine"?.... Man, you're old school. No one has brined a turkey in 30 years.

38 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Yup.  That's how I roll.   Also making oyster stuffing for it. 

I have a wood smoker out back.  I will brine a whole chicken the night before and then smoke it.  Foodgasm 

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

I'm curious to what life is like over there ... fishing, diving, the PX, the bars ... somewhat odd there, wouldn't you agree?

Sit on the beach and watch sailboats go by as they race around the globe....

Berlin in the 60's...….

6 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

That's supposedly Chik-Fil-A's big secret to how they get their chicken so popular, they brine it. And I think that's what they do with kosher turkey and chicken too, but it's more of a salt slurry than a brine. Maybe the reason the brine makes it taste good is because the salt draws the blood and bitter metallic-tasting elements from the meat before cooking?

5 hours ago, warbird said:

Sit on the beach and watch sailboats go by as they race around the globe....

Have you ever been there?

My uncle used to fly into all those restricted South Pacific bases in the 1960s and 1970s when he flew cargo planes for the Air Force. Definitely an odd set of mementos that he brought back with him!

On 11/22/2018 at 1:51 PM, mikewof said:

My uncle used to fly into all those restricted South Pacific bases in the 1960s and 1970s when he flew cargo planes for the Air Force. Definitely an odd set of mementos that he brought back with him!

Mikey how many uncles do you have?

On 11/21/2018 at 9:51 PM, mikewof said:

Never.

On 11/21/2018 at 10:46 PM, Mark K said:

Nothing like it. 

4dea1c938afa79de1f7777e3a9f6faf7.jpg

I was only referencing "nowhere to go". You are where you are and there is no easy way to leave.

On 7/23/2018 at 7:59 PM, SloopJonB said:

Guam was going to capsize, not sink. They wanted to put too much stuff at one end.

Wouldn’t that mean a pitchpole instead?

On 11/21/2018 at 12:39 PM, mikewof said:

A friend has a quick technical meeting in Diego F'ing Garcia next week. 

Any questions about what life is like on that island?

Does Diego use a condom when fucking Garcia?? 

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Are there bars that are not on base? Is pussy available?

It seems the whole island is a base, right? And it's British, they use Pound Sterling in their fines.

They do have a 9 hole golf course and driving range. And sailboat and stinkpot rentals in the lagoon. 

I've no idea if there are women of comfort in the officer's club. I can only assume not, how would the Navy and AF justify the security clearances from the Philippines or wherever they're importing labor these days?

It seems the whole island is a base, right? And it's British, they use Pound Sterling in their fines.

They do have a 9 hole golf course and driving range. And sailboat and stinkpot rentals in the lagoon. 

I've no idea if there are women of comfort in the officer's club. I can only assume not, how would the Navy and AF justify the security clearances from the Philippines or wherever they're importing labor these days?

They aren't labor, they are skilled trades. Does your plumber get tested for STD's? I thought not.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I've no idea if there are women of comfort in the officer's club

"Women of Comfort"..... now that's a new term I had not heard before.  

16 hours ago, mikewof said:

Can't be confirmed or denied that it can neither be confirmed nor denied.

On 11/23/2018 at 3:25 PM, Blue Crab said:

Are there bars that are not on base? Is pussy available?

My friend got back from DFG, he got me a challenge coin that says Diego Garcia on it, it's now one of my most treasured little baubles. Here are some of the things I learned from his photos and his tales ...

- DFG overall looks like a 1950s high school somewhere, it's a well-maintained little nugget from a different time.

- DFG has a pretty nice little 9 hole golf course and driving range.

- DFG is inundated and alive with wildlife since it is reasonably protected from exploitation.

- DFG has remarkably clean and beautiful water and woods.

- DFG has a gay bar for any Philippine worker or American serviceman who may be so inclined.

- DFG seems to have a pretty sweet officer's club, though I didn't see photos of the inside of it, for security. They have entertainment, a half decent live rock band of the Philippine contractors, and I suspect, some women of comfort, though I don't know for sure.

- DFG has so many feral donkeys that they had to build a donkey gate to keep them out of the service area.

- DFG has a terrific lagoon, judging by the open source photos I saw, it probably is dredged to allow for the storage of those big ships.

- DFG is covered with bike tails, and secret fishing spots to the degree that I believe I would be happy to be stuck there for a while. There is definitely some secret military stuff there, but it doesn't look a whole lot different than any other military base on which I spent a chunk of my childhood. It seems that the island is largely logistical in use and nature. My gut feeling is that nothing is hidden there that isn't duplicated on twenty other bases around the world.

11 minutes ago, mikewof said:

My friend got back from DFG, he got me a challenge coin that says Diego Garcia on it, it's now one of my most treasured little baubles. Here are some of the things I learned from his photos and his tales ...

- DFG overall looks like a 1950s high school somewhere, it's a well-maintained little nugget from a different time.

- DFG is inundated and alive with wildlife since it is reasonably protected from exploitation.

- DFG has a gay bar for any Philippine worker or American serviceman who may be so inclined.

- DFG seems to have a pretty sweet officer's club, though I didn't see photos of the inside of it, for security. They have entertainment, a half decent live rock band of the Philippine contractors, and I suspect, some women of comfort, though I don't know for sure.

- DFG has so many feral donkeys that they had to build a donkey gate to keep them out of the service area.

- DFG has a terrific lagoon, judging by the open source photos I saw, it probably is dredged to allow for the storage of those big ships.

- DFG is covered with bike tails, and secret fishing spots to the degree that I believe I would be happy to be stuck there for a while. There is definitely some secret military stuff there, but it doesn't look a whole lot different than any other military base on which I spent a chunk of my childhood. It seems that the island is largely logistical in use and nature. My gut feeling is that nothing is hidden there that isn't duplicated on twenty other bases around the world.

You didn't see pictures of the underwater airplane hangars, I bet.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

You didn't see pictures of the underwater airplane hangars, I bet.

Nor photos of the flying container ships.

I saw photos of a bajillion crabs rustling through the forest to the beach though. I like to see things like that, because it's a little glimpse into what things looked like before us humans ate everything that wasn't tied down.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Sounds nice, kind of..... Too bad citizens can't go there.

On 11/23/2018 at 1:26 PM, Fakenews said:

Wouldn’t that mean a pitchpole instead?

You might be right - the base seems to be at one end.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Guam/@13.5148525,144.8592171,20277m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x671f76ff930f24ef:0x5571ae91c5b3e5a6!8m2!3d13.444304!4d144.793731

42 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

He's a citizen, non-military, and with only marginally more security clearance than I had. 

I'm suspect that you can go there, just come up with a reason for which you need to visit, like study the wildlife or trees maybe? I want to go there, I'm thinking maybe something in lines of a backup desalination system?

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

saw photos of a bajillion crabs rustling through the forest to the beach though.

The reason there are a bajillion crabs in the forest is because they are used to pick the bodies clean of the 239 MH370 Pax as well as the other people who have been disappeared there on the Island after interrogation.  

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Don’t fret petal - lots of places have gay bars you can go to.

On 7/24/2018 at 11:08 PM, Mid said:

History Lesson Time ...................

Their Island, Our Shame
Eve Ottenberg
June 17, 2009

Indigenous Indian Ocean islanders were brutally displaced nearly 40 years ago to make way for a U.S. military base.

Though small in number, the indigenous people of Diego Garcia and the Chagossian Islands in the Indian Ocean have endured a suffering both relentless and intense. In the early 1970s, they were brutally deracinated and dumped in Mauritius and Seychelles to make way for a U.S. military base.

Anthropologist David Vine reports in his new book, Island of Shame: The Secret History of the U.S. Military Base on Diego Garcia (Princeton, May), the islanders had homes—idyllic though modest—employment, healthcare, a diet of fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, enviable longevity, traditions, the memories of their ancestors and a cultural life extending back over centuries in the Chagos archipelago. But through a number of legalistic and diplomatic deceits promulgated by the British and U.S. governments, the archipelago’s 2,000 islanders was expelled, carted away in overcrowded ships without food or sanitation.

The dispossessed Chagossians received minute compensation. They were never paid for their expropriated homes. They lost their vegetable gardens and were not permitted to bring pets or belongings into exile. (Indeed, they watched their dogs be gassed to death and incinerated before they were ejected from the islands.) They lost their jobs in the coconut industry. No occupations awaited them in Mauritius, and they were not trained for new employment.

The Chagossians were basically dumped in their new “homes.” Many lived on the streets, while others paid exorbitant prices for tin shacks in slums. Moneylenders and merchants victimized them, taking their miserable hovels as collateral for loans and purchases and later evicting them. They could not find jobs. As outsiders and people of African—, not the more-privileged Indian—descent, they faced discrimination. Alcohol, drugs and suicide took a toll. Diet deteriorated. They died young, and illnesses utterly new to them—malnutrition, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, tuberculosis—became rampant. Large numbers became clinically depressed. Many simply died of broken hearts. They were treated, Vine writes, like “rubbish people.”

This was no accidental side effect of the military’s base construction. The military explicitly banned employment of any indigenous people on its base, though it imported workers from elsewhere. And it forbade return visits by the locals, even to tend the graves of their ancestors. It wasn’t until March, 2006, that bad publicity and court cases forced British authorities to permit one visit. Prior to the expulsion, all official reports portrayed the inhabitants as transient laborers rather than a native population. This was done in order to deny their existence and their right to the land, and thus to avoid all political, legal and financial redress.

Though one cannot know the exact attitude of U.S. officials, David Vine aptly quotes Henry Kissinger on the removal of the residents of the Marshall Islands in 1969: “There are only 90,000 people out there. Who gives a damn?” With that attitude, there was no hope for the 2,000 Chagossians. Clearly no one in power thought anyone would care about their fate.

The Chagossians’ displacement is not unique in the history of U.S. military bases abroad. But, as Vine points out, the lies fabricated to conceal the secret agreement in the Chagos Archpelgago are particularly astonishing. Secretary of State Dean Rusk described the islands to President Lyndon Johnson as “virtually uninhabited.” And in June 1964, the Johnson Administration pressured the Washington Post not to run stories that might cause trouble. The Post stories that were published referred to the population as “largely transient laborers.”

Vine does an excellent job of documenting the machinations of military planners and politicians in the 1960s and 1970s, as they sought to evade unwelcome attention from the press, the United Nations or any court system. This was the end of decolonization, the era of imperial plunder and ethnic cleansing was supposedly over and nothing would have looked worse than what was actually happening.

Vine details at length how no other empire has had as many foreign bases—roughly 1,000—as the United States. A few African islanders were not about to thwart the largest military machine in history. So a cast of characters, including foreign policy official Paul Nitze, Admiral Elmo Zumwalt, former White House and CIA official Robert Komer (infamous for running operation Phoenix in Vietnam) and Admiral Arleigh Burke concealed and misrepresented the removal of an inconvenient population. The stakes, as these pooh-bahs saw them, were quite high. Vine quotes military analyst John Pike telling him that the U.S. military’s goal is “to run the planet from Guam and Diego Garcia by 2015, even if the entire Eastern Hemisphere has drop-kicked us” from every other base. 

“Although the British Government and its agents performed most of the physical work involved in displacing the Chagossians,” Vine writes, “the U.S. Government ordered, orchestrated and financed the expulsion.” But recently the Chagossians have challenged the destiny so carefully prepared for them, and they have won court cases. They hope they may yet receive compensation and the right to return to their archipelago. After all, if gleaming yachts are allowed to dock on these gorgeous islands, why shouldn’t the original inhabitants be welcome there as well?

inthesetimes.com

Who really gives a fuck about a defeated stone age culture?

Just now, Moderate said:

I wouldn’t write of all Republican supporters just yet...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Don’t fret petal - lots of places have gay bars you can go to.

I saw photos of the gay bar, it was pretty, lots of big dots and lights, it struck me that at least some people in DFG, seem too really enjoy their life.

1 hour ago, Moderate said:

It was such a misguided notion, they could have just displaced as few people as possible to the donkey side of the island, and then employed them, rather than imported Philippine workers.

But in DFG, wasn't the original takeover done by the British? It's still their island, the Yanks just rent it.

It's interesting to see what is happening with these islands, with desal, microgrids and tourism, they are finally getting a real shot at prosperity that doesn't really on fish, copra and guano. Not DFG, but other islands like Kiribati and the Solomons.

3 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

The reason there are a bajillion crabs in the forest is because they are used to pick the bodies clean of the 239 MH370 Pax as well as the other people who have been disappeared there on the Island after interrogation.  

Diego FUCKING Garcia!

2 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

random's gone.

But not forgotten.

F2E9C534-841F-4202-86EB-B457465BA336.gif

9 hours ago, Moderate said:

You really have an unerring instinct for making yourself sound like an ignorant, racist, soulless cunt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

You really have an unerring instinct for making yourself sound like an ignorant, racist, soulless cunt.

He forgot to use the purple font.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/travel/mh370-mystery-why-is-25-minutes-of-vital-recordings-missing-from-a-us-indian-ocean-military-base-ng-9f71171c199175f11c0fa91bad1551b5.amp

Just keeping the dream alive... 

“Unfortunately, on top of the noisy recorded signals, 25 minutes of data from HA08s is missing,” Kadri says. “The signals we have analysed indicate that the there was a 25-minute shutdown that has gone unexplained by the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organisation, which is responsible for the hydrophone stations.”

On 1/30/2019 at 7:31 PM, bowman81 said:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/travel/mh370-mystery-why-is-25-minutes-of-vital-recordings-missing-from-a-us-indian-ocean-military-base-ng-9f71171c199175f11c0fa91bad1551b5.amp

Just keeping the dream alive... 

“Unfortunately, on top of the noisy recorded signals, 25 minutes of data from HA08s is missing,” Kadri says. “The signals we have analysed indicate that the there was a 25-minute shutdown that has gone unexplained by the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organisation, which is responsible for the hydrophone stations.”

Just saw this on the abc website. 

The plot thickens.

After a briefing in preparation for a meeting with British Prime Minister Theresa May, for example, the subject turned to the British Indian Ocean Territory of Diego Garcia. The island is home to an important airbase and a U.S. Naval Support Facility that are central to America’s ability to project power in the region, including in the war in Afghanistan.

The President, officials familiar with the briefing said, asked two questions: Are the people nice, and are the beaches good? 

http://time.com/5518947/donald-trump-intelligence-briefings-national-security/

2 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

The island is home to an important airbase and a U.S. Naval Support Facility that are central to America’s ability to project power in the region, including in the war in Afghanistan.

The President, officials familiar with the briefing said, asked two questions: Are the people nice, and are the beaches good? 

Well, if he really ends the war in Afghanistan, those could become relevant questions for the next user of the facility we no longer need.

So a big question becomes: are there walruses?

JBolton_Walrus.jpg

So , first a Walrus, then on to the UN? 

Proving that the left cant meme.