Sign in to follow this  
Guitar

"Last Project" 1956 Blue Jay

My friend doesn't know about SA so I think I can get by asking this of the group. He has ALS and is working really, really hard to finish the restoration on his 1956 Blue Jay. It was built locally in Alameda.

I'm looking for some used sails for the boat, those shown are just a sneeze away from tatters. I'm currently refinishing the mast, boom, tiller and extension. Hoping to get him on the water soon as he is already wheelchair bound. All help would be appreciated.

Rick

37588629_10211834130150012_3989335185538678784_n.jpg

35240492_10211584804117017_6046303325488414720_n.jpg

• Like 1

Just found the front page article from last month. Ordered a set for his boat from Grant. Done.

• Like 1

Is that the actual hull number?  We had boat #93 in the fleet here once - when new boats were in the 4,000 and 5,000 range. New sails should improve performance a LOT!

• Like 1

Yep, actual hull #527. It was on it's way to the burn pile twice before the ALS showed up. Wife told him to make it his last project, it will be kept as a family heirloom. I'm going to try and convince him when I take the old sails that we will attempt to patch them up for the launch. Should be epic.

• Like 1

Just be sure the new sails have the right numbers! 

Paul, yes, will be picking up or ordering sail tape to get the numbers on it as well as signatures for all who donated for them.

Cool!

40 years ago my brother and I shared blue Jay #4524. 

It's great living in a small community. I was able to twist some local business owner's arms and put together the beginning of a "go fund me" account. Quietly picked up some fresh sails for the boat. Refinished the mast and boom, adding a plastic sail track to the spruce mast to update it for the new sails.

We plan a launching at our local lake and will be starting up our yacht club we attempted to get going back in the early '90s. If you are in NorCal and want to come to the event, Sunday noon, Stumpy Meadows Reservoir, El Dorado County. It's a beautiful drive. Bring a lunch.Image result for stumpy meadows reservoir

42338168_1474528342679460_3330903457677705216_n.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great!  Is that really a topping lift for the boom?? We always used a boom crutch/paddle - didn't want the extra weight & windage aloft!

Just rigged that way for the parade.

founders day.jpg

Was the tractor pulling the boat, or did he sail down the street?  Looks like a great success.  Congrats! 

• Like 1

Looks great on the street, looking forward to seeing it on the water!

• Like 1

Switching over to Sacramento State Aquatic Center to see if we can launch at their facility.

Picture of the Aquatic Center from overhead

Hope you get more wind than what we see in the picture!

• Like 1