Sign in to follow this  
Guitar

"Last Project" 1956 Blue Jay

My friend doesn't know about SA so I think I can get by asking this of the group. He has ALS and is working really, really hard to finish the restoration on his 1956 Blue Jay. It was built locally in Alameda.

I'm looking for some used sails for the boat, those shown are just a sneeze away from tatters. I'm currently refinishing the mast, boom, tiller and extension. Hoping to get him on the water soon as he is already wheelchair bound. All help would be appreciated.

Rick

37588629_10211834130150012_3989335185538678784_n.jpg

35240492_10211584804117017_6046303325488414720_n.jpg

• Like 1

Just found the front page article from last month. Ordered a set for his boat from Grant. Done.

• Like 1

Is that the actual hull number?  We had boat #93 in the fleet here once - when new boats were in the 4,000 and 5,000 range. New sails should improve performance a LOT!

• Like 1

Yep, actual hull #527. It was on it's way to the burn pile twice before the ALS showed up. Wife told him to make it his last project, it will be kept as a family heirloom. I'm going to try and convince him when I take the old sails that we will attempt to patch them up for the launch. Should be epic.

• Like 1

Just be sure the new sails have the right numbers! 

Paul, yes, will be picking up or ordering sail tape to get the numbers on it as well as signatures for all who donated for them.

Cool!

40 years ago my brother and I shared blue Jay #4524.