Sign in to follow this  
Editor

what is it?

what-is-it-7.jpg

Might this one be difficult to guess? Let's find out...

It is sad to see so many talented people with such deep pocket backing come up with something that just looks, looks, words fail me...

2 hours ago, eltelatron said:

Eagle Class 53...

T

eagle class 53T

The 53T is a turbo-charged version of the Eagle Class. Standard C foils are replaced with carbon fiber T foils creating a platform which foils at very low wind speeds and significantly increases the speed potential of the boat in medium to heavy wind conditions.  The 53T also comes equipped with our fully automated foiling control system.

• Downvote 1

Why would you call a foiling cat with no interior a "weekender"?  No way to get out of the wet, and it WILL be wet.  Ever present possibility of snapping foils if you sail it in shallow Caribbean waters, it's a cat so it's not the easiest to find slips for..  No closed in and comfortable place to get a little privacy and bang the missus.

Seriously.  Someone tell me what part of this boat is a weekender.  Perhaps someone should tell the marketing guys how boats work.

This cat would be considered a liveaboard by Randy Smyth. Funny that he is not listed on the design and build team as that is his 360 degree wingmast scheme shown. Don't see Paul Bieker on the credits either...

• Like 1

Thanks Lanikaisailor,

I must have missed that, what a lineup of talent! 

Looks at the big toys they have in their shop. A 150' x 6' autoclave!

I think it would be fun to do a long weekend it to HI on.  30kts average = @3.6 days. Seems doable.

There still seems to be a pretty large gap between these type of foiling, performance cruisers (?) and the condomarans.   Foiling is probably fun for a few hours but it's too close to always sailing on the edge for a cruiser....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

How many G4s/F4s were sold?  

Especially when they were marketing it as a luxury foiling cruiser

5 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Why would you call a foiling cat with no interior a "weekender"?  No way to get out of the wet…

Except that there is (as displayed on the web site).

Interior.jpg?format=1000w

3.1.jpg?format=1000w

Love in innovation of using the sunroof as an endplate for the main. But how to trim what you can't see? Maybe it's all done by feel, or electronics. Also love the driver position, right up front…

4 minutes ago, RobG said:

Except that there is (as displayed on the web site).

3.1.jpg?format=1000w

Love in innovation of using the sunroof as an endplate for the main. But how to trim what you can't see? Maybe it's all done by feel, or electronics. Also love the driver position, right up front…

Show me a picture of the non-existent interior.  Show me all the room two people have to move around.

This boat may get a different reception after it's sailing and the bugs have been worked out. 

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

There is a saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I think the boat looks stunning compared with most cruising cats.

EagleClass53.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darth reapius said:

How the fuck do you dock it?!

#byebyefoils

From the stern.

7 hours ago, RobG said:

......But how to trim what you can't see? ..... Also love the driver position, right up front…

look at the plan views, the helm positions up front are outside of the sunroof, you just look up,
forwards + backwards, at both sails, from either leeward or windward positions

16.1.jpg

• Downvote 1

I like it real well. The interior looks fine for a couple in each hull. Top could be closed in like Maine cat for nasty weather. I imagine the price is pretty steep.

The cool thing is when it turtles you reel in the sails and the rig slides through the other side and you can immediately start sailing again...so who cares if it is happy upside down! 

• Like 1

Can anyone confirm that there was a fire at FFC last week? I saw the headline but didn't get any details. 

16 hours ago, Veeger said:

There still seems to be a pretty large gap between these type of foiling, performance cruisers (?) and the condomarans.   Foiling is probably fun for a few hours but it's too close to always sailing on the edge for a cruiser....

This. I love foiling, but it's stressful, and never too far from a capsize or great breakage, because of power/weight ratios, reaction times, etc.

Docking is also... a big mess. Interestingly, the Phantom Essentiel cat has L rudders. Could be made to work here.

Save some money and keep your living quarters dry: Get the condomaran and put a UFO or small cat on the front trampoline...

Folks tow a small nimble car with their hulking RVs for the same reason...

20 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

This cat would be considered a liveaboard by Randy Smyth. Funny that he is not listed on the design and build team as that is his 360 degree wingmast scheme shown. Don't see Paul Bieker on the credits either...

Incorrect - The 360 degree rotating wing mast was thought up and created by Tommy Gonzalez, FFC's president.  Randy helped him develop it

Peter, haven't you seen the trimaran model in Randy's living room? Built in the mid 1980s (when I bought that Stiletto 23 that became the favorite boat to Randy's dog Buddy). Fully rotating wing mast to enable keeping it in a marina, with all three shrouds connected to the top of the spar. So Randy certainly created the foundational prior art, but that boat was never built. Randy and Tommy sailed together around the world on Team Adventure, so the discussions probably started then (I don't know). Randy called me about my patent attorney, so maybe they are both on the patent, or $$ was exchanged (like if you invent something while working for, say, Boeing, they own the patent and maybe you get a bonus). I did not see the patent number on the site, so I can't look it up.

23 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Dream on tweaker...

Ok I miss calculated. The MOD 70 Phaedo has the record at 3 days 18+ hours. So 25 knt average a little longer maybe a 4 day week end. A guy can dream right. B)

• Downvote 1

"BRISTOL, R.I. (WPRI) — Fire crews are continuing to investigate a fire that broke out in a business Thursday morning.

The building is home to Fast Forward Composites. Officials say the fire broke out just before 3 a.m. on Broadcommon Road. "

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/east-bay/breaking-overnight-crews-investigating-an-overnight-fire-at-a-bristol-business/1310824082

Was there today. Minor event. Lots of smoke, no damage to boat, building or equipment. All back up and running. And the boat is beautiful in real life. I’m super confused by the hating on this project. Assuming the automation on the foils works it could be a serious leap forward away from the j and z boards that reduce righting moment and create a platform that can only be controlled by pro racer types. Not to mention the 360” rotating wing/rig.  And for the record, I am 6’2” and have several inches of headroom down below and find it quite commodious. It’s going to be an incredible boat when she’s finished. The build quality is absolutely top notch. 

• Like 1

I was going through a filing cabinet today, and found page 91 from the magazine Waterfront, February 1985.

Note the wing mast, with shrouds all the way to the top so the mast could rotate 360 degrees as the top. Randy has a model of this in his living room.

Note the soft sail, and 360 degree rotating mast. So clearly, Randy came up with this 33 years ago. Gino did these drawings, who knows, he might still have them.

IMG_4432.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 2:20 PM, soma said:

"BRISTOL, R.I. (WPRI) — Fire crews are continuing to investigate a fire that broke out in a business Thursday morning.

The building is home to Fast Forward Composites. Officials say the fire broke out just before 3 a.m. on Broadcommon Road. "

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/east-bay/breaking-overnight-crews-investigating-an-overnight-fire-at-a-bristol-business/1310824082

The old "I'll just toss this rag full of MEK and other solvents in to the trash" trick.

- Stumbling

On MOD 70 “Concise 10” they use a hydrogen fuel cell to keep batteries charged

On 9/5/2018 at 2:53 PM, carcrash said:

On MOD 70 “Concise 10” they use a hydrogen fuel cell to keep batteries charged

Off topic but any more details, i.e who the provider is and what they are using for fuel storage?