Sign in to follow this  
TwoBirds

Ama design question

Hi

I'm working on an outrigger sailing canoe, I've changed the ama considerably because I wanted a flat top to use for a swim platform,  just wondering if it will be ok as is or if I need to make the bows more wave piercing.

I was thinking maybe a peak shaped like the top of the original design sloping  back and up  to the strut that connects to the iako  so it will shed water  to the sides when it gets stuck into a wave.

Here's the original

download.jpg.32b809dc4f0d2121964cb5f40b3de529.jpg

Hears mine

IMG_20180725_081712098.thumb.jpg.167e06f25039bf5ac2758a80cb6961e3.jpg

2b

Sit on the tramp, not the hull. Let the hull be clean when depressed, because it will be. The original outriggers are configured like that -- basically a completely round cross section, with verticals to hold the deck above water.

I think from what I can see it will work fine.  It looks like you have increased the volume which will make it much easier to sail as the ama will not imerce as much as the original. I like a 'flat top' as it also makes for an easy point to board the boat from the water. Try it out and see, easy to make another at a later date!

Thanks tim and Carcrash, I was a bit worried about them digging in but I suppose if it does it'll be pretty simple to add something to fix the problem, even if it's just spray foam with a couple coats of epoxy.

Guess I can go ahead and close it up.

2b