AndreasE

J/99 anyone have info beyond the teaser?

Yes Max

Two different bowsprits, the one in the picture is the standard long one for A-sails

Symmetric spi boats will have a sort fixed on that I have not yet seen. This will be used for a zero or A sail

IRC rating is on the way once sail sizes are finalised

@Paul heysthe jib seems to be pretty short in the hoist in this photo.  Is that done for measurement purposes?

image.png.0e1c10a63149b532264a718537c2cbbd.png

5 hours ago, J28 said:

@Paul heysthe jib seems to be pretty short in the hoist in this photo.  Is that done for measurement purposes?

The jib is a square top too... Can't go full hoist unless you want it to hang up every tack. More efficiency up top but lower hoist. That's the trade off.

On 1/4/2019 at 6:43 PM, J28 said:

I had a boat like that once, only it was a Sun Fast 3600 pictured here in 2016 ;)  447456433_SF3600Fastrak.thumb.jpg.480f53afe964eb5527e3790e9491ac54.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1507923799488151/permalink/2252249275055596/

“For Jongleur, J Dream and Tigris 2019 started on Sunday 6th January with the races 1&2 of the Frostbite series organised by the RSYC. 

Race 1:
With a mostly slack tide the first race kicked off with a gentle 5-7kts from the WNW at 1010, the first start was made up of all classes, these included our 3 J88s, the new J99 Jenga in its first competitive outing, Beneteau First 40 Tilt, J92 Jackdaw, Hod 35 Malice and various others ranging from 20ft up to 40ft in length. The heavy pin bias combined with the short and crowded line made crossing the line on starboard very difficult. The light airs saw the advantage tip in the favour of Malice with their large overlapping headsail and the Js with the 88s and 99 mixing it amongst one another. Sadly for Malice they were unable to maintain this turn of speed and slowly slipped back in the fleet. With 2 strategies at play up wind Tigris made use of the greater pressure closer to the main channel to take an upwind advantage and with little opportunities for passing downwind allowed them to finish ahead of Jongleur and J Dream with Jenga 99 and various other boats splitting the 88s

Race 2:
Race 2 started using the same line as the race 1 but by this time a small ebb flow had developed and the wind was varying between 3-8kts meaning that the pin bias was still in play but would be as much if not more of a challenge than race 1. Having leant from the challenging race 1 start, the start of race 2 was on the whole more hotly contested and with only 1 windward mark and 1 leeward mark before finishing it would be a quick sprint round putting an emphasis on the start tactics and boat handling. Following some impromptu bravery, Tigris made an early break from the pin end of the line to pull out an early lead with Jenga 99, Jongleur and J Dream in hot pursuit. Downwind would see the Js extend their advantage over the rest of the fleet with only the First 40 being able to hold pace. A difficult leeward mark layline saw the fleet come in with a slow approach and compress. With tide now a factor the majority of the fleet saw it best to stay closer to the Netley shore on the final beat to the finish with Tigris taking the race followed by J Dream and Jongleur with Jenga 99 once again splitting the 88s.

With no formal prize giving the crews made for the cafe at Hamble point discuss the races and wish one another a happy new year. We look forward to seeing everyone again for races 3&4 in 2 weeks time.“

• Like 1

From what I could tell on the 88 the 99 doesn’t have to keep up with us and we were always looking over our shoulder and worrying about corrected times. The 2 races were very start dependent and we happened to get the best start and at times the 99 was keeping up. Also there were 3 88s in total and both the other boats got beaten by the 99 on handicap on both races and in race 2 the 99 was second on the water. It’s horses for courses, had there been 10kts or wind we would have struggled against them, had there been 25kts+ we might have been ok. For reference our 88 rates at 1.034 and Jenga 99 rates at 1.016

had a sail on the 99 Monday on the solent. very well behaved boat. very easy to steer as it is really balanced. Deck layout is very very good and the cockpit is very spacious.  making the sailing space more spacious than a J/109 for example. 

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-07 at 15.26.48.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3962.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3950.jpeg

The J99 should excel in distance racing and heavy air. Im not surprised the J88 is faster in WL racing. 

Hull 7 will be a demo boat in Texas. PM me if interested. Should hit the water by 5/1/19

And this from Seahorse:

https://www.seahorsemagazine.com/current-issue/141-content/march-2019/723-market-disrupter

On 1/1/2019 at 1:24 PM, Paul heys said:

Hello JL92S. Please could you tell me more about the supposed code zero I see on the picture ?

I'm waiting for my j99 in June and have not made decision on the sail inventory.

Thanks 

42 minutes ago, roldymc said:

Hello JL92S. Please could you tell me more about the supposed code zero I see on the picture ?

I'm waiting for my j99 in June and have not made decision on the sail inventory.

Thanks 

Congratulations on your 99!

The A0 in the picture is a North Sails Cable-free code 0 with a helix luff. 

In my picture they had only just unfurled the sail so not properly trimmed on or on the right angle

The local dealer says the J/99 is confirmed for the Pacific Sail and Power Boat show in Richmond CA April 4-7.

On 2/22/2019 at 11:56 AM, JL92S said:

Congratulations on your 99!

The A0 in the picture is a North Sails Cable-free code 0 with a helix luff. 

In my picture they had only just unfurled the sail so not properly trimmed on or on the right angle

thanks for the answer. That means that Jenga inventory is : Main + 2 jib (light + medium) + 2 asymmetric + 1 code 0 ?

I'd like to have your feedback/ details of what sounds to be good the good mix... as it isn't easy to order sails with very little  information on the boat !

2 hours ago, roldymc said:

thanks for the answer. That means that Jenga inventory is : Main + 2 jib (light + medium) + 2 asymmetric + 1 code 0 ?

I'd like to have your feedback/ details of what sounds to be good the good mix... as it isn't easy to order sails with very little  information on the boat !

Plus a slab reef in the M jib or a dedicated HWJ?

10 hours ago, roldymc said:

It depends on the type of races you plan to do. 

My inshore inventory would be main+1 reef, light/medium jib, medium/heavy jib, HW jib, S1.5, S2, A5, A0, 

offshore inventory would be Main+3 reefs, J1, J2+reef, J3.5+reef, A1.5, A2, A3.5, A0, spinnaker staysail, Genoa staysail, flying jib top

• Like 1

Time to make choices 

Question:

1. Carbon rig or aluminum?

2. Tiller or wheel?

3. Ballast tanks or not?

boat will be bouy raced for Wednesday nights (full crew), a few double handed and less fully crewed medium distance races Per year (maybe a BDA?).

my thought is: carbon, tiller, ballast, single rudder.

Ps. it is also not my $$$

What say you?

SailSafe 

I did same option list as Furkolkjaaf plus  in addition :

4. Simple ruder or twin ruder

Ballast were not proposed to me 

I’m not sure of the logic of water ballast and single rudder. If you’re wanting to maximise for short handed you’d go ballast, tiller and twin rudders,or maximise for fully crewed is no ballast and single rudder, with personal preference on tiller or wheel?

As someone who single hands his J/100,  I'd go with Carbon mast, tiller, twin rudders.   As for water ballast, simplicity would be the driving factor, so I'd have to see it in action.  That fixed sprit is nice too.

And no I'm not downsizing.

after viewing the boat and talking with the designer my advice would be aluminum rig as carbon weighs almost the same and AG plus makes a good spar for the boat.  Single rudder with standard J/Boat keel (lower center of gravity and lighter than IRC keel).  tiller steering for feel and cockpit space.  water ballast to assist crew weight on the rail. 

With twin rudders you'll need to sail it powered enough to get that high side rudder out of the water so why have the water ballast? If you sail it flat it'll have the drag of two rudders won't it?

Ignore everyone telling you to go Water Ballast because wherever your are your PHRF board is not going to know how to deal with it and it'll hurt you.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:45 PM, JL92S said:

.... are your PHRF board is not going to know how to deal with it and it'll hurt you..

On 12/14/2018 at 11:45 PM, JL92S said:

Why not putting a seal to the seacocks of the waterballast system and showing it to the PHRF guys?

But if you sail shorthanded the water will make the difference...

Single rudder,... mast -what you like most and can afford -(will not make a difference if rated) , long sprit, tiller.

just my 2ct.

22 hours ago, Ballard Sailor said:

after viewing the boat and talking with the designer my advice would be aluminum rig as carbon weighs almost the same and AG plus makes a good spar for the boat.  Single rudder with standard J/Boat keel (lower center of gravity and lighter than IRC keel).  tiller steering for feel and cockpit space.  water ballast to assist crew weight on the rail. 

With twin rudders you'll need to sail it powered enough to get that high side rudder out of the water so why have the water ballast? If you sail it flat it'll have the drag of two rudders won't it?

At this regard I think it's interesting to share this email from the designer re std bulb keel vs the deeper IRC fin keel :

"The question of keels is an interesting one.  If you believe ORC, then the deeper & heavier flat fin IRC keel will have a speed advantage over the lighter but lower VCG standard bulb keel in light air windward/leeward racing.  Under IRC, the flat deep keel is given a very nice rating accommodation (slower) and the bulb style is disadvantaged.  For me, there is no question that the standard keel is the better keel to have as an owner if you ever sail with fewer crew, want great stability and care about having more reasonable draft, or if you plan to sail offshore with less crew.  The fin keel is only offered so that owners who race IRC around the buoys will be able to compete against other boats who have been benefiting from this rating credit for the last few years.

The fin keel probably has the boat for boat speed advantage in light air upwind due to a little less wetted surface and slightly less drag. I would say the crossover will be at 8-10 knots.  The fin keel will then require more weight on the rail for the higher wind conditions, cahngin or flattening sails earlier both upwind and on a reach, and always need this in order to match the stability of the standard keel."

The irc flat keel should give greater lift upwind and benefit from reduced drag downwind 

On 3/19/2019 at 6:48 PM, JL92S said:

The irc flat keel should give greater lift upwind and benefit from reduced drag downwind 

Does anyone have a drawing or photos of how the IRC flat keel differs from the standard J keel?

12 minutes ago, samsonite said:

Does anyone have a drawing or photos of how the IRC flat keel differs from the standard J keel?

it wouldn't be a very interesting photo. just imagine a rectangle slightly swept back (parallelogram?) and you've got it.

11 hours ago, Snowden said:

it wouldn't be a very interesting photo. just imagine a rectangle slightly swept back (parallelogram?) and you've got it.

That's pretty clear. Thanks!

On 1/1/2019 at 1:24 PM, Paul heys said:

Thanks 

irc keel, and standard keel

J99 Keel On.jpg

boot19_j99_WP_1.jpg

9 hours ago, roldymc said:

Thanks 

Nothing too dramatic about the code 0 used by the J99 Jenga other than it doesn’t use a torsion cable, instead it uses virticle carbon strands in the luff, the sail should end up being cheaper as you still have to buy the furler and swivel but you do away with the cost of the cable. It functions exactly the same as a normal A0, might not require as much luff tension and might be a little lighter 

Well I've ordered my sails ( X voiles) last week and we try to do the same exercise (no torsion cable) with a Code 5 .

They did some test on the new Bfigaro3 (attached). seems efficient and not too hard to roll.

Hope that the luff will be round and ease enough to fly windward ... that seems to be the case on the NorthSail one.

Any idea of wind angle/ wind speed ?

IMG_1607.thumb.jpeg.a02465024a2ac2bf400e25b0b5e3ea31.jpeg

How is the 99 doing in the first races ? I guess there may be some feedback now on how this new design performs vs known / established competition

Currently in the Warsash Spring Series in the UK Jenga 99 has scored a 5th and 6th in irc 2. The boat sits on the lower end of the rating band for the class. Currently the J112e Grand Prix is proving more competitive as well as a couple of irc optimised J109s. in my opinion the 1.5m bowsprit isn’t suited to Solent racing as much as a conventional kite setup. At the top end of the class sits a well sailed Elan 410 and a turbo’d Farr 30. With more 99s inbound i’ll reserve judgement until I see how Dider’s J Lance performs at Spi Ouest, after that his boat will be delivered to its owner who I believe sails in the UK

3 hours ago, Furkolkjaaf said:

...you mean that the J112E and the J109s are racing with conventional kite setup ?

2 112Es in the class.  Davanti have A-sails on a retractable sprit, the brand new Xanaboo has S-sails.  Xanaboo doesn't have a rating yet, but look at her elapsed time, think she's going to be a tough one to beat.

109s are all standard A-sails.  

I thought the 99 was slower upwind in the light than I expected, but quick enough with the kite up.  Sunday's course was straight out of the J-boat marketing department though, no deep downwind legs at all.  

At 1.5m the 99 has one of the shortest bowsprits fitted to a J boat. In my opinion for short course racing it needs either a longer sprit or a pole with conventional kites

4 hours ago, JL92S said:

At 1.5m the 99 has one of the shortest bowsprits fitted to a J boat. In my opinion for short course racing it needs either a longer sprit or a pole with conventional kites

That's IRC typeforming sadly - STL is (in my opinion) overly penalised, so you end up going a little short on the sprit and it's hard to go deep.

5 hours ago, JL92S said:

Agree.  I think with a slightly over J conventional pole and stubby bowsprit for an A5 and code zero it could be a real inshore weapon.  

So its like a J105 but 700lbs heavier with less sail area and a smaller cockpit for 5x the price?

Closer to 3-4x the price (comparing a newer model J/105 to sail away price). Its also more offshore friendly, another phrase for very French.

Plus there is real standing headroom, a galley you can really cook in off-shore, and the ability to sleep the off watch to windward with the optional pilot berths, and the ability cruise it with another couple thanks to the two doubles in the aft cabins....

I like the 105, but they are more dissimilar in concept than they are the same in specifications....

On 4/12/2019 at 6:56 PM, Geko said:

So its like a J105 but 700lbs heavier with less sail area and a smaller cockpit for 5x the price?

Most Euro J/105s are wheel steered bear in mind. 

Some Results now available from Spi Ouest Regatta in France.  Only 3 races sailed, it appears. Presume light airs.  Not looking too good for the two J99's in Class B.  Lying  11th and 20th overall out of 26 on IRC.  ---see --results   --https://evenements.ouest-france.fr/spi/resultats-spi-ouest-france-2019/.

J Lance , I presume , is the works J boat group that won all this events in the J112e last year.

Anyone got any more info on how the j99's were going.  A lot of the boats in that class would not have been regarded as light air flyers.  quite a few JPK 10.10's,  10.80's and Jeanneau Sunfast 3200's.

There is also a J99 racing in the IRC doublehand class, currently 5th out of 49 after 2 races. New Sunfast 3300 on top for now in IRC double. Always difficult to factor how much is the boat and how much the sailors.  In any event, pretty cool that IRC double has more or less twice as many entries as any of the other IRC classes

Finally in light condition  : Overall IRC B : J99 4th (behind 1:  40.7/ 2 JPK 10.80/ 3 :  j112)

Overall IRC double : J99 3rd (behind J1 : PK10.80 / 2: new Sunfast 3300)

Light or heavy. Off-shore or inshore. Fully crewed or DH. Those 10.80s always seem to be up there. Amazing. 

If i’m honest I expected J Lance to placed a little higher, I know the boat is brand new but Didier is usually able to rock up with a new J and wipe the floor with the competition. Also if I had to guess where the 99 would be competitive it would be the lighter airs like they had at the weekend because in the heavy airs the more powerful boats would prevail. I heard that J Lance has been pre sold prior to the event so i’ll be interested to see how it fairs wherever it ends up

Was anyone down there who might be able to comment.  Was it light all weekend or were there some medium air races ?.  One of the j99's, I hear, Is coming to Dublin. It will be interesting to see how she fares against the top IRC specced J109's and the Jpk 10.80 and Sunfast 3600's.  

Pretty Impressive performance for the Bene 40.7  Pen Koent to win every race in this competitive class at Spi Ouest.

1 hour ago, Shadowman said:

Pretty Impressive performance for the Bene 40.7  Pen Koent to win every race in this competitive class at Spi Ouest.

Sailed against them at the IRC Euros last year.  They're very good, and went surprisingly well in the light for a heavy boat that's ditched the overlappers too.    

9 hours ago, Furkolkjaaf said:

Not understanding much of french....but here J/99 seems to have been crushed by both Sunfast 3300 & JPK 1030 at the single/double handed race Gascogne 45/5...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14Nq-Mi0Dao3sxcI3MmMgcprDFxbFYLfQ

some details here: 

The 3300 (sailing singlehanded) was an hour ahead of the JPK 10.30 and 4 hours ahead of the 99. Both the JPK and the 99 were sailing doublehanded. The 3300 did not have their MMSI number so did not rank as an official entry but they did show on the race tracker