AndreasE

J/99 anyone have info beyond the teaser?

Recommended Posts

I own hull #26 based in Seattle and am trying to find other J/99 owners. If you are, or are in contact with, folks who own J/99s I'd appreciate it if you could send them my way. I'm hoping to set up a class group so we can share information to make our boats faster.

I can be contacted through here or on FB via https://www.facebook.com/onelifej99/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello I own hull 13. no facebook but will be very happy to share via SA forum.

66779690_1393393244147307_873034892701597696_o.thumb.jpg.d87a0908d075f508d0817b496bd1448f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, roldymc said:

Hello I own hull 13. no facebook but will be very happy to share via SA forum.

66779690_1393393244147307_873034892701597696_o.thumb.jpg.d87a0908d075f508d0817b496bd1448f.jpg

Excellent! I PM'd you via SA with my email address so I can collect more information for the spreadsheet I'm putting together!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ddmiller67 said:

Excellent! I PM'd you via SA with my email address so I can collect more information for the spreadsheet I'm putting together!

 

Looking forward to your first race coming up soon.  We live on Orcas and are eager to see the third 99 in the PNW up here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, One Life, will we see you at Race to the Straits in May?  Seems like a great race for the 99.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, one J/99 in the PNW and two coming.  One J/99 in SF Bay and two coming.  They are up to Hull #60 at least.  

Rating 78 in the PNW with water ballast and 72 in the SF Bay without water ballast.  The difference seems reasonable given the average ratings for those areas and the different wind conditions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Roleur said:

So, one J/99 in the PNW and two coming.  One J/99 in SF Bay and two coming.  They are up to Hull #60 at least.   

"There is a sucker born every minute."

In the PNW there are at least 3 confirmed cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will soon be 3 boats in the UK. Not really caught on over here despite in the past being a big J Boat area. I don’t think any of them have/will race offshore 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 9:23 AM, JL92S said:

There will soon be 3 boats in the UK. Not really caught on over here despite in the past being a big J Boat area. I don’t think any of them have/will race offshore 

They need a crack works team to post some good results like PH did with the J/97 back in the day, or a couple of keen owner campaigns (like the SF3300 has).

The design feels like "evolution rather than revolution" - if you were campaigning a well-sorted SF3200, J/97, A31/A35 etc would you spend £100-200k switch to this? Maybe 105/109 owners would?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest boat that will arrive in July is owned by a guy who tried racing an Elan E3. Arguably he’s bought the perfect boat for him but he’s a very small time club sailor who battles to finish within the time limits. The UK has a very high IRC bias and the the boats at the front half of each class are campaigned hard and can have (but not always) big budgets 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there will be 4 J99 in the netherlands racing together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JL92S said:

The latest boat that will arrive in July is owned by a guy who tried racing an Elan E3. Arguably he’s bought the perfect boat for him but he’s a very small time club sailor who battles to finish within the time limits. The UK has a very high IRC bias and the the boats at the front half of each class are campaigned hard and can have (but not always) big budgets 

To be fair the Sunrise guy was DFL in an Elan 350 in a lot of events in 2015 before he changed to a JPK the following year and started winning things. Those Elans are not good under IRC....

I do agree that I'd like to see a "top level" crew pick up a J99 and give it a good go in the UK though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really like trashing owners anonymously online based on results sheets. People race for all sorts of reasons and with all sorts of reasonable expectations as to how they will do based on budget, crew experience, amount of time they have to sail and so on. Some people want to sail with friends and family and not spend every weekend in the spring testing and calibrating!

Completing a Fastnet is not quite the challenge it used to be but it's still a respectable achievement in its own right, especially two-handed - getting to Plymouth is the real goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Snowden said:

I don't really like trashing owners anonymously online based on results sheets. People race for all sorts of reasons and with all sorts of reasonable expectations as to how they will do based on budget, crew experience, amount of time they have to sail and so on. Some people want to sail with friends and family and not spend every weekend in the spring testing and calibrating!

Completing a Fastnet is not quite the challenge it used to be but it's still a respectable achievement in its own right, especially two-handed - getting to Plymouth is the real goal.

Absolutely true.  And it's also often the case that a change in boat brings a change in focus and someone who was happy following the fleet around in their old boat brings in a couple of good sailors and suddenly jumps up the fleet.  We've seen it a number of times.  

After all, nobody is going to drop the money on a new boat if they don't think it's better than their old boat, are they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Flaming said:

After all, nobody is going to drop the money on a new boat if they don't think it's better than their old boat, are they?

That's what I keep coming back to with the 99. It's more than competent, I'm sure, but it doesn't feel exciting or different enough from the previous generation of 30-35 footers.

Having said that, I see the Irish J/109 champion bought one (Juggerknot II, any relation to Joggernaut?) and has entered the Round Ireland, will be interesting to see how they get on.

https://afloat.ie/sail/events/round-ireland/item/46505-algeo-s-j-99-juggerknot-ii-enters-round-ireland-yacht-race

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snowden said:

That's what I keep coming back to with the 99. It's more than competent, I'm sure, but it doesn't feel exciting or different enough from the previous generation of 30-35 footers.

Having said that, I see the Irish J/109 champion bought one (Juggerknot II, any relation to Joggernaut?) and has entered the Round Ireland, will be interesting to see how they get on.

https://afloat.ie/sail/events/round-ireland/item/46505-algeo-s-j-99-juggerknot-ii-enters-round-ireland-yacht-race

Agree.  It looks and rates like J's answer to the Sunfast 3200 and JPK1010, when it should have been their answer to the 3300 and the 1030.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As owner of a 99 I Fully agree with you :

> my previous boat was a J105

> J99 is a jpk 10,10 copy ( some aspects are even not as good as ex : no liferaft space, main-sheet messy )

>BUT I would not have made that change to get a SF 3300 or Jpk 10.30 which are more in line with Figaro II / III

those are little too extreme and belong more to pure professional racer than  family speedster.

j99 is kind of a classic boat 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

J/Boats just splashed hull #50, a rather remarkable given boat ordering stopped due to the pandemic's economic impacts.

Results? From what races? Most of the NA boats were in the northern midwest and the NE, arriving just in time for the season to be shut down for winter. The EU fleet had a bit more time before things got shut down, I suppose, but you cannot really judge results yet in EU either. We got ONE race in here in the PNW with my boat before the pandemic shut us down, and most sanctioned racing won't restart for weeks. What racing there is tends to be informal household-only races, with results not posted except amongst those who sailed.

With the relaxation in quarantine rules over the last couple of weeks, we're finally out again with a crew and beginning the long process of learning the boat. She's incredibly stable to sail, quick to accelerate, and can comfortably carry far more sail than I think people are giving her initial credit for.

And she can be cruised easily.

We'll get a better idea of her relative merits when racing resumes for real. Until then, declarative statements about her abilities (or lack thereof) seem to be a bit premature.

 

1 hour ago, roldymc said:

As owner of a 99 I Fully agree with you :

> my previous boat was a J105

> J99 is a jpk 10,10 copy ( some aspects are even not as good as ex : no liferaft space, main-sheet messy )

>BUT I would not have made that change to get a SF 3300 or Jpk 10.30 which are more in line with Figaro II / III

those are little too extreme and belong more to pure professional racer than  family speedster.

j99 is kind of a classic boat 

Life raft mounts under the tiller.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ddmiller67 said:

We'll get a better idea of her relative merits when racing resumes for real. Until then, declarative statements about her abilities (or lack thereof) seem to be a bit premature.

 


 

We had a season racing against Jet (in a JPK1010) in the UK last year.  Tough to differentiate between the boat and the sailors with just 1 example to race against, but I'm not blown away.  I was excited to see this boat, as I hoped it would act as a bit of a boost for the 30-35 foot segment in the UK, which is very short of available boats at the moment and I would dearly love for there to be a bunch of them to race against. 

Needs a symmetrical kite for round the cans stuff I think, like the top 112s have here.  Whilst the 99 was often holding us upwind, especially in lighter conditions, downwind we just sailed away, ratings are close with them owing us about 15s per hour.

It's an interesting point that roldymc makes, that he wouldn't want a more extreme boat, and a very fair one.  I just hope that there are enough people with a similar outlook over here to put a bunch of boats on the water for us to play with.    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

other problem with both jpk 1030 & sf 3300 (indeed, not with jpk 1010) is aesthetics...very hard to digest (at least for me) - while j-boats are always very good looking boats (at least in my view)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2020 at 3:25 PM, Furkolkjaaf said:

other problem with both jpk 1030 & sf 3300 (indeed, not with jpk 1010) is aesthetics...very hard to digest (at least for me) - while j-boats are always very good looking boats (at least in my view)

All depends on what you want from a boat, I like mine to win stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 9:30 AM, Flaming said:

Agree.  It looks and rates like J's answer to the Sunfast 3200 and JPK1010, when it should have been their answer to the 3300 and the 1030.

 

The thing is that in the USA (East Coast at least).., IRC is all but dead - most regattas and distance races have dropped it completely, or are now offering dual scoring with another rule - usually ORC

I Think though it is not clear where we will end up in the USA - ORC in the short run.., but after that, who knows.

with respect to the 1030 and the 3300, I have seen them both out sailing, and they each look great. The 1030 seems pretty IRC focused.., the 3300 i guess is less so...

Either way, in the US market, it's probably not a good time to bring a new rule-specific design to market.

the 99 seems pretty non-specific with respect to rating rules.

Another thing, is that distance races in the north east (US) typically have a wide variety of conditions - upwind, down wind, reaching.. light breeze, heavy breeze.., no breeze - all in the same race sometimes. I have anchored in distance races here...  I've seen them be all upwind.., and all downwind - anything is possible. One thing I have seen many times in these races is that a boat's performance in 2-4kts of wind can be of great importance.

Anyway, the area I am talking about is probably the global epicenter of J Boat ownership

I think for this area, in today's rating environment, you probably want a boat that can compete in a wide variety of wind conditions, and under a variety or rating rules.

I don't know which of these three boats fits that niche best - they all look great.., and I wouldn't dismiss the 99 yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, us7070 said:

One thing I have seen many times in these races is that a boat's performance in 2-4kts of wind can be of great importance.

 

Jeeze.  If I lived in an area like that I really doubt I'd be a racing sailor.  

Don't think the 99 is unspecific with terms to rules, I think it's an IRC focused design, especially when fitted with the IRC keel.  Most of the details fit what we know about what IRC likes.  

And I'm certainly not dismissing the 99, it's just that the press (in the UK at least) when it launched was all about reclaiming the mantle of go-to doublehanded boat that J used to own with the 105 in Europe.  Which just doesn't quite seem to fit with the fact that it's most similar in specs to boats launched in 2010, and the current models from the shorthanded specialists over here look a step further along and rate a fair bit higher.  My current view is that if top level shorthanded racing - emulating the JPK overall fastnet win, transquarda etc - was the principal goal for the design they came up a bit short compared to their competitors. Quite prepared to have that corrected by results though.  

But actually, this isn't necessarily a bad thing.  The 3300 and 1030 are unlikely to ever pick up many sales as fully crewed boats as they're that bit more shorthanded focused.  Whereas the 99 actually looks like it could be a pretty decent fully crewed boat - much like the 97 was before it.  And this in a size / rating band that has very, very few options currently available.  Personally I hope they sell plenty, but not quite enough for an OD class in the Solent...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Flaming said:

Jeeze.  If I lived in an area like that I really doubt I'd be a racing sailor.

those races can, on average have decent wind..., but it's not uncommon that in the middle of the night, or early in the morning, there is a few hour period of almost no wind.

This can happen all over new england

of course, i have seen afternoons with no wind too..

but in those very light wind parts of the race, big moves can be made by connecting little puffs - a boat that can react to them has a definite advantage - it might mean the difference between making or missing a tidal gate.., or sometimes you might have a situation where breeze is dying west to east.., and you are headed east - a boat that gets just a little bit ahead will always have better breeze - the rich get richer scenario.

it all just emphasizes the long-term advantage of a boat that performs okay in a wide range of conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what us7070 is describing/pointing out, very much fits what we see here in northern adriatic area...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2020 at 2:18 AM, Furkolkjaaf said:

what us7070 is describing/pointing out, very much fits what we see here in northern adriatic area...

That's what we see here in the Salish Sea (PNW) as well.  We just did a 102 mile race over the weekend.  Start was very close reaching in 20-30.  Then a few hours of 0-5 knots, then many hours of 5-15 both upwind and vmg downwind, then a close reach to broad reach in 15-30.  Went from a reef and outboard sheeted jib, to full main and A3.  Fantastic conditions for most of the race, but the 0-5 decided it, as a few boats got around the corner into breeze and were gone.  We sat 100' offshore listening to a beach house party around midnight for more than hour.  I think the J/99 with w/b would have loved all the breezy reaching.  We had friends onboard our J/111 with a new J/99 currently enroute on a ship from France.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now