AndreasE

J/99 anyone have info beyond the teaser?

4 hours ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

BTW @Roleur how has Raku treated you?

It has been awesome!  Better than we hoped.  We have done something like 34 races this season and almost all of it DH.  We even do short buoy races DH without issue.  Much prefer longer races where we can stretch our legs though.  My wife & I sail our boat (always) and we find it to be particularly easy to sail short-handed.  That said, we live in a mostly light air location, so the powered up 111 is very fun.  If we lived in a windy location I would favor something like a J/99.  Assuming it happens, we are planning to race around Vancouver Island (Van Isle 360) next year DH and then we are signed up for Pacific Cup 2022 DH.  One of the things that has surprised us is how easy it has been to get the boat going well.  We've certainly put in some time this year trying to get things dialed, but it has all gone well.  We even won a buoy race regatta (7 races) that were in the 30-90 minute range.  DH against all fully crewed boats (mostly 5-15 kts).  

We have had a few good breezy days (20-30) and with 4 people we found we were going fine uphill against faster boats (Aerodyne 43, two Farr 39MLs).  Top speed so far (5 months) is 16.7 kts with my wife driving and the A3 up, trying to hold a high lane to the finish of a 100 miler.  We've been fortunate to get to do 3 overnight races this summer.  A 65 miler and two 100 milers.      

For us it is the perfect boat.  That may not be the case for everyone, but we feel like we hit the nail on the head with our decision.  Heading out to mess with the boat now.  We have two different races this weekend at different venues.  One on Saturday and another on Sunday.  

118393586_3099304423520192_8609591021194

• Like 4

14 hours ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

I am in your shoes. Family that hates sailing and one member (myself) who is absolutely obsessed. I would never consider a J11s (to neutered and rare) so the 99 and 97e are basically the only other options I would have.

Have you raced thunder in any local offshore races? I couldn't find you in the PHRF/IRC NE registry. 

We have a 97. Great allround boat but too much rocker to plane easily. Otherwise perfect for DH, full-crew and cruising. We operate ours with a AP furlable jib with one reef on a facnor fd, c0/j0 and two A-sails.

On 9/11/2020 at 12:40 PM, Roleur said:

It has been awesome!  Better than we hoped.  We have done something like 34 races this season and almost all of it DH.  We even do short buoy races DH without issue.  Much prefer longer races where we can stretch our legs though.  My wife & I sail our boat (always) and we find it to be particularly easy to sail short-handed.  That said, we live in a mostly light air location, so the powered up 111 is very fun.  If we lived in a windy location I would favor something like a J/99.  Assuming it happens, we are planning to race around Vancouver Island (Van Isle 360) next year DH and then we are signed up for Pacific Cup 2022 DH.  One of the things that has surprised us is how easy it has been to get the boat going well.  We've certainly put in some time this year trying to get things dialed, but it has all gone well.  We even won a buoy race regatta (7 races) that were in the 30-90 minute range.  DH against all fully crewed boats (mostly 5-15 kts).  

We have had a few good breezy days (20-30) and with 4 people we found we were going fine uphill against faster boats (Aerodyne 43, two Farr 39MLs).  Top speed so far (5 months) is 16.7 kts with my wife driving and the A3 up, trying to hold a high lane to the finish of a 100 miler.  We've been fortunate to get to do 3 overnight races this summer.  A 65 miler and two 100 milers.      

For us it is the perfect boat.  That may not be the case for everyone, but we feel like we hit the nail on the head with our decision.  Heading out to mess with the boat now.  We have two different races this weekend at different venues.  One on Saturday and another on Sunday.  

118393586_3099304423520192_8609591021194

Never have children

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Teener said:

Never have children

Correct.  Closed that gate 15 years ago.

19 hours ago, Roleur said:

Correct.  Closed that gate 15 years ago.

my bad

New J/99 “La Cinquieme” did the NASS Lighthouse race this last weekend, might be the first J/99 on the Bay. Saw it briefly at 5he start, looked quick, seems they went with the wheel option.

87A4B101-B259-4E20-AC10-A0FD86A82D5A.jpeg

• Like 1

Anyone having direct experience on how the J/99 fares against the Italia Yachts 998 ? They are similar boats in size and concept. Here in Italy it seems the IY is faster on handicap (not surprising since the IY is known to be an ORC bandit) but also boat for boat, which is less obvious, and regardless of wind strength. Being the J/99 lighter, I'd have assumed it would be generally faster. This does not appear to be the case.

^ SA/D is roughly the same for the two designs and the IY does not have the draggy arse of the 99? I assume that was a deliberate design compromise to create two double aft cabins?