AndreasE

J/99 anyone have info beyond the teaser?

Recommended Posts

Looks great.  J Boats keeps proving they what they're doing.  Whether they are responding to market demands or creating them is up for debate but this looks like a great boat.  I worry about the rating comment on the J/Composites FB page though.  Did they neuter it like the J/11s?  I also hope it ends up with a single rudder.  Tiller steered double rudders seem like they would be a pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of hope they stick to a single rudder ala 121, but it sure looks like twins in the render and a wider rear.   

As long as this isn’t just a reaching machine  it’s really the sweet spot in my book.

I’ll give the obligatory, what’s it rate?    Way to early to know....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like twin rudders to me.  But I suspect it is an “all-rounder” and not near as beamy as a Pogo 30 or Sunfast 3200. Also looks like a fixed sprit, which would be a first for Jboats.  (Disclaimer:  I’m looking at the renderings on a phone with old eyes...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is you’ll be able to have multiple configurations. Asymmetric from a fixed or retractable bowsprit or a symmetric spinnaker with a pole and stubby fixed bowsprit. I also think the render shows twin rudders and they may even be transom hung but again this is guess work and I expect both single and twin would be available. And I also reckon a straight lead fin keel will be available as well as low vcg standard keel. I expect the irc rating to come in at 1.040 - 1.050. The boat looks like an offshore J88 which to me is a good thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pictures remind me of a 97e but with twin rudders and fixed sprit.  Wonder how different the two will be otherwise.  J/boats info page says "currently under development at J/Composites in Les Sables d’Olonne, France."  Wonder if it will be produced and available in the U.S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The boat looks cool.

In ORC, IRC, having options probably makes sense.

However, in USA PHRF, the successful J/Boats have been one-design. Our lake could have had a successful J/29 one-design class, but a couple were MHOB, most were FROB, and a couple were modified to be FROB with masthead spinnakers. Even with the J/105, you can usually get the local owners to run the ODR or full PHRF configuration. I'm trying to work on that right now as we are in a J/105 resurgence. I'm trying to convince the owners to all pick one configuration and go with it so they can race level. When we had 3-4 J/109s, it took a few years to get them to all agree to one configuration.

The J/70s here are doing well, racing with me and my Viper 640 friends in a Sportboat class. The J/24s are up to 14 boats at MBBC.

However, all the other modern J/Boats are just one each: J/122, J/111, J/110, J/92, J/88.

I do appreciate that J/Boats are easy to rate with the National Reference Ratings and the J/Boats table.

I will take a guess that this boat will rate 78 - 84.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting.  Nice.  Like.  It sits nicely between the LOA of the J/88 and J/111.  The interior here doesn't look completely stripped out, in fact the saloon looks almost comfortable!  The hull design appears very different to J/boats most recent releases in the J/70, J/88 or J/112E.  Maybe a broader transom and potentially stickier in the light airs.  However, in the released renderings, the J/99 looks more like a Sunfast 3600 which shares:  

- Fixed prodder

- Twin rudders

- Tiller (which a short handed 33ft racing yacht should have!)

- Chines extending full length 

- Fuller bow section

- Forward head/sail storage

- Maybe it's just the splash of red colour similar to the Sunfast marketing?

- Target market?  Looks to be the same IRC <1.05 offshore double handed crowd.  Think Tansquadra.  A very competitive and in demand arena.  Possibly the highest growth segment in European yacht racing over recent years. Duplication for the J/11S, which maybe didn't hit the targets they expected.

- Pricing? (all approx. base and stand to be corrected) J/88 USD$135K.  J/111 USD$280K.  Meet in the middle at somewhere around the USD200K mark, though likely north of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the two quarterberth layout for offshore racing.  Nobody wants to try to sleep in a v-berth.

Fixed sprit is a little odd since they have been sucessful with retractable sprits for 20+ years.  They should aim to keep the LOA under 35' for dockage rates.

Water ballast option a la 121?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

J owner who haven't yet switched to JPK or SF3600 should be very interested. As for Americans you can always import them, taxes permitting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did the j/11s prove to be a bit of a flop?

i liked the concept, but the idea of a detuned j/111 as opposed to a purpose designed model was a bit of a turnoff.

sounds like the j99 is going to be more like the jpk1010 as opposed to the sunfast3200, despite targeting the same market. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's to hoping....looks like a little bit more interior than jpk....which maybe can be removed or not built in first place....if they offer water ballast...  

Anyway most unusual J in a while and potentially very cool....

Jpk says they have built a few boats for US mkt now and can do the electrical ...that wasn't the case some years ago. The new boat has been very popular and sounds like no way to get a 1030 for next year... J could sell a few of these here....depends on details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dehler is building something similar, must have to do with popularity of doublehanded races.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 3:18 AM, Hold Fast said:

did the j/11s prove to be a bit of a flop?

i liked the concept, but the idea of a detuned j/111 as opposed to a purpose designed model was a bit of a turnoff.

sounds like the j99 is going to be more like the jpk1010 as opposed to the sunfast3200, despite targeting the same market. 

The 11s was just a bit odd, I sailed the first one in the UK and despite the modifications it still felt tippy and lacking in stability upwind. Downwind the combination of the J hull form and twin rudders meant it tracked very straight when sailed on more vmg angles but still felt like it would wash out early when pressed. Jataka had a very respectable result of I think 4th in the transquadra (i could be wrong) and with that being a downhill race it was expected to get a good result. I always thought that if it were campaigned properly with a proper budget then it would be competitive in the English Channel RORC races where Js typically do very well. I expect the 99 to pick up where this boat left off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JL92S said:

The 11s was just a bit odd, I sailed the first one in the UK and despite the modifications it still felt tippy and lacking in stability upwind. Downwind the combination of the J hull form and twin rudders meant it tracked very straight when sailed on more vmg angles but still felt like it would wash out early when pressed. Jataka had a very respectable result of I think 4th in the transquadra (i could be wrong) and with that being a downhill race it was expected to get a good result. I always thought that if it were campaigned properly with a proper budget then it would be competitive in the English Channel RORC races where Js typically do very well. I expect the 99 to pick up where this boat left off. 

+1 

All the numbers looked ok, and I'm sure it could perform if properly campaigned. #1 is getting a normal single J/111 rudder + more sail area. Will be fun to watch.

I also see the 99 as the 11S done right. I'm sure Didier & J/Composites learned a lot with their three IRC-iterations of the 112e and are combining the best bits into a nice package.

Competition in this size is ramping up with Ofcet 32, new JPK 1030, Dehler 30OD and others...  Maybe the start of a 30' shorthanded class a la HP30 or Super11?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Blur said:

.

Competition in this size is ramping up with Ofcet 32, new JPK 1030, Dehler 30OD and others...  Maybe the start of a 30' shorthanded class a la HP30 or Super11?

Why would it need a class like the HP30?  The boats already around (3200, JPK1010 etc) already perform very well offshore under IRC. 

HP30 was created to give a home to boats that were not competitive on IRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO the good thing of such a class could be to encourage designer to design and build boats that really sail fast and fun instead of just performing under a rating rule (which often seems to be "slower is better" in many cases).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more cruising pretense they remove from this boat....doors, vinyl trim on cabin sides, etc the more of these they will sell....Water ballast option same thing. There is no need to worry about one design in this type of racing obviously. J folk, build a race boat....u have 97e for cruisy racer and it's well done. Offer a cruise interior also like the rendering but offer wipe down model as well.

The winch in aft port corner is strange. We needs more details and hopefully the ability to order for next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Flaming said:

Why would it need a class like the HP30?  The boats already around (3200, JPK1010 etc) already perform very well offshore under IRC. 

HP30 was created to give a home to boats that were not competitive on IRC.

Me thinks the suggestion is simply to organize like boats to race more level.  I don't mind racing my Capri 25 against an Antrim 27.  But I sure like racing against J/24's, Wavelength 24's and Merit 25's when I get the chance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vikram said:

The more cruising pretense they remove from this boat....doors, vinyl trim on cabin sides, etc the more of these they will sell....Water ballast option same thing. There is no need to worry about one design in this type of racing obviously. J folk, build a race boat....u have 97e for cruisy racer and it's well done. Offer a cruise interior also like the rendering but offer wipe down model as well.

The winch in aft port corner is strange. We needs more details and hopefully the ability to order for next season.

Aft port corner?  That's the stb primary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fixed prod on the J/99 is notable but not surprising to me, after pioneering and promoting retractable sprits for over 25 years. Is this the first production J/Boat with a fixed prod (the J/11s "prod" was tiny)? Their ad copy promotes the removable prod "the primary benefits of a fixed sprit for offshore sailing are reduced weight in the bow and better protection against water intrusion" (vs a retractable sprit :lol:).

Several people have spoken to acceptance in the USA, no problem with that. But I wonder what percentage of J/Boat new boat sales are in the USA/North America vs Europe/the rest of the world. Where their sales were USA only decades ago, I get the impression they've done well (better?) in Europe - but I am only guessing. Seems clear they haven't grown in the USA over the long term, but maybe offset somewhat by expanding elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, MidPack said:

Fixed prod on the J/99 is notable but not surprising to me, after pioneering and promoting retractable sprits for over 25 years. Is this the first production J/Boat with a fixed prod (the J/11s "prod" was tiny)? Their ad copy promotes the removable prod "the primary benefits of a fixed sprit for offshore sailing are reduced weight in the bow and better protection against water intrusion" (vs a retractable sprit :lol:).

Several people have spoken to acceptance in the USA, no problem with that. But I wonder what percentage of J/Boat new boat sales are in the USA/North America vs Europe/the rest of the world. Where their sales were USA only decades ago, I get the impression they've done well (better?) in Europe - but I am only guessing. Seems clear they haven't grown in the USA over the long term, but maybe offset somewhat by expanding elsewhere.

I think most of the recent J launches have been developed in France.  Which probably says something.  

My biggest question though, can we call this the J/"ninety-nine"?  If we have to say "nine-nine" the fantasy is gone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MidPack said:

Fixed prod on the J/99 is notable but not surprising to me, after pioneering and promoting retractable sprits for over 25 years. Is this the first production J/Boat with a fixed prod (the J/11s "prod" was tiny)? Their ad copy promotes the removable prod "the primary benefits of a fixed sprit for offshore sailing are reduced weight in the bow and better protection against water intrusion" (vs a retractable sprit :lol:).

Several people have spoken to acceptance in the USA, no problem with that. But I wonder what percentage of J/Boat new boat sales are in the USA/North America vs Europe/the rest of the world. Where their sales were USA only decades ago, I get the impression they've done well (better?) in Europe - but I am only guessing. Seems clear they haven't grown in the USA over the long term, but maybe offset somewhat by expanding elsewhere.

We had 2 J11s’s into the UK and one had a short prod and spinnaker pole and the other had a regular retracting sprit. A few recent Js have been designed without the sprit, the 100, 124 and 65 didn’t have sprits. With the more semi custom approach that J Composite have taken i’m sure you could order any brand new J from France (except the 70 built in Poland) and not have a retracting bowsprit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JL92S said:

We had 2 J11s’s into the UK and one had a short prod and spinnaker pole and the other had a regular retracting sprit. A few recent Js have been designed without the sprit, the 100, 124 and 65 didn’t have sprits. With the more semi custom approach that J Composite have taken i’m sure you could order any brand new J from France (except the 70 built in Poland) and not have a retracting bowsprit.

Not sure what that has to do with my observation, but OK. Arguably the first fixed prod production J/Boat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 https://www.dehlersverige.se/dehler-30

Great renderings and lots of very cool ideas....which may or may not work. I like that the boat makes only simplest allowances for cruising. I don't like the tbulb and the draft is pretty darn deep but overall you have to admit a lot of thought has gone into this. Someone mentioned on Blur blog it's probably an Olympic bid boat. I guess I just thought that would default to Figaro 3. I am very hopeful something will be available in the states soon. I have never considered a dehler...first time for everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, where is this boat going to be exceptional?  The promo intimates distance (not buoy), which configuration?  The Mac, which Mac?  The 50+ hours upwind or the 40 hour Mac  with the with wind aft of the beam?  Is this boat going to move in 3 knots and be manageable in 27 downwind with an A2?  Maybe these questions say more about my abilities (or lack thereof) than questions about the boat.  Just asking.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Beta-J said:

Hey, where is this boat going to be exceptional?  The promo intimates distance (not buoy), which configuration?  The Mac, which Mac?  The 50+ hours upwind or the 40 hour Mac  with the with wind aft of the beam?  Is this boat going to move in 3 knots and be manageable in 27 downwind with an A2?  Maybe these questions say more about my abilities (or lack thereof) than questions about the boat.  Just asking.

Most J/Boats in the last 10 years or more have had enough SA/D to "move in 3 knots and be manageable in 27 downwind (might opt for the A3, or an A4)." Won't know for sure until we see the specs, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't designed for good light and planing performance.

Most J/Boats over the past 20+ years have gone upwind fine, but they've excelled off the wind in light and heavy (average in moderate wind).

If you believe ad copy, they'll do well in the Chicago-Macs - typically more offwind (unlike '18). I would expect the J/99 to perform well in the same races as a J/121, J/111, J/88 or other late models.

Quote

Now more than ever, sailors are attracted to adventure-filled, signature events (Fastnet, Middle Sea, Chicago-Mac, etc.) where straight-line speed, sail handling, strategy and weather routing are all equally put to the test. The J/99 is designed to excel in these events (both fully crewed and short-handed) while delivering the exhilarating, family-friendly experience the J Sport range is known for.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talked to Jeff J at the Annapolis Boat show.  He said first boat should be in the water within the month, with a boat coming to the Miami show in January, and Hull 5 (I think) coming to Sail Expo in CA in April...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 11:53 AM, Crash said:

Talked to Jeff J at the Annapolis Boat show.  He said first boat should be in the water within the month, with a boat coming to the Miami show in January, and Hull 5 (I think) coming to Sail Expo in CA in April...

So in other words there really aren’t any boats available for next summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno how full the order book for the US is right now, you'd have to ask, or what their production ramp up capacity is.  Based on their willingness to talk and share info with me, I'm pretty sure that if you are a semi-serious shopper, and contacted your dealer, they'd be able to either tell you, or find out pretty quickly what hull number/timeframe is open.  If I was a guessing man, I'd tell you that they are not building a ton of boats on the "if you build it, they will come" strategy, and that they probably already have orders for the first half dozen or so...

Or again, if your semi-serious, go visit them in Miami, and they tell you there just where things stand, plus you'll be able to see the boat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hull +/- number 20 due to be delivered mid June in France .

Main choices are 1or 2 rudders, 2m or 2.10 flat keel...

I will see later on which configuration we'll choose, can keep you posted if you want a know more about French deliveries...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been able to find any info about this boat beyond draft and length.  Anyone know sail area, waterline length, beam, displacement, etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeff J had all that at the boat show.  Again, I'm sure if you call a dealer, they could get you that.  I'm also sure they are holding off on publishing numbers in the open until after hull one gets in the water and they are happy with it.  Then they will finalize and publish.  Otherwise early/prelim info gets out and takes on a life of its own, esp if not exactly accurate to the "production" version...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoops, I lied!  I found them in Sailing Magazine.

LOA: 32' 8"'

LWL: 28' 8"

Beam: 11' 2"

Draft: 6' 6"

Displ: 8415 lbs

SA: 653 sq. ft.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2018 at 6:52 PM, Crash said:

Whoops, I lied!  I found them in Sailing Magazine.

LOA: 32' 8"'

LWL: 28' 8"

Beam: 11' 2"

Draft: 6' 6"

Displ: 8415 lbs

SA: 653 sq. ft.

 

30cm more LOA than a J/97 but 60cm more waterline - means they have taken out a lot of stern overhang and by extension rocker?

I thought that was a significant factor in the J/97's IRC success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus it's nominally 200lbs lighter, yet carries 155 sq. ft. more sail area.  Pretty sure they are aiming at a different target...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fat Happy J/100: same length, shorter waterline, but much wider and heavier.  Sounds like a description of the typical owner.  

It’s going to need all that extra sail area.

1230688837_FatHappyJ100.PNG.392ad0214c9ded7ed947f5794b1623b5.PNG

 

 

 

Fat Happy J100.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks heavy to me - significantly heavier than a SF 3200, which is lower tech construction (I think....).  I wonder what the ballast weight is?  Also, surprised at the alu mast - is it to keep the price down?  Does the AG+ spar get close the weight of a carbon spar with a glued and screwed external track?  Hard to believe.

In any case, I’m looking forward to pics and more info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, J28 said:

Looks heavy to me - significantly heavier than a SF 3200, which is lower tech construction (I think....).  I wonder what the ballast weight is?  Also, surprised at the alu mast - is it to keep the price down?  Does the AG+ spar get close the weight of a carbon spar with a glued and screwed external track?  Hard to believe.

I presume that's more about the IRC 'exotic materials' rig factor penalty than performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds reasonable.  I know less than zero about technical details of  IRC but I’m interested in the boats that are  designed for short-handed under the rule.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J28 said:

Looks heavy to me - significantly heavier than a SF 3200, which is lower tech construction (I think....).  I wonder what the ballast weight is?  Also, surprised at the alu mast - is it to keep the price down?  Does the AG+ spar get close the weight of a carbon spar with a glued and screwed external track?  Hard to believe.

In any case, I’m looking forward to pics and more info.

 

1 hour ago, Snowden said:

I presume that's more about the IRC 'exotic materials' rig factor penalty than performance.

You can order one with a CF mast, just costs much more.  From what I've heard and been told their supplier of reasonably priced CF masts went away when Hall Spars bit the dust.  J/boats is trying to keep the price of the J/99 down and closer in line to a J/88 vs. the 121.  They are shooting for "basic sail away price" of around $200K with a base price of $170K.   Even without CF mast if you really want a well equipped high end boat you're probably closer to $250-275K once you put in high end electronics, full set of racing sails, etc.   I would guess a CF mast would add about 20K if you built it that way.  Even a little over $300K is not too bad for a brand new boat and what looks like a really cool ride.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hugh Jorgan said:

 

  Even a little over $300K is not too bad for a brand new boat and what looks like a really cool ride.  

:blink::blink:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Furkolkjaaf said:

:blink::blink:

Amen!

:wacko::o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Furkolkjaaf said:

:blink::blink:

Allow me to FIFme "Not too bad for a highly equipped performance J/boat or similar ride available in the U.S. and much less than the J/121" :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will face huge competition in the UK and Northern France, direct rivals will be the new JPK 1030, the Sunfast 3400, Ofcet 32, MMW 33 and even well set up J109s

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks to the 25% fine on the in-tax price due to a trade war that someone started, the J/121 is basically outpriced in Europe. It is the only one of the range not built in the EU, so due for importfine. you can still order it, just the base price is 100k more expensive... The 99 fills a niche for smaller crew racing.so far, prospects are good for this boat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JL92S said:

It will face huge competition in the UK and Northern France, direct rivals will be the new JPK 1030, the Sunfast 3400, Ofcet 32, MMW 33 and even well set up J109s

Would the Pogo 30 be a rival also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J28 said:

Would the Pogo 30 be a rival also?

Hmm only really in a fast cruising context, there are some irc optimised French boats but they’re not competitive across the full range of conditions. Great fun boats but just rate badly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JL92S said:

Hmm only really in a fast cruising context, there are some irc optimised French boats but they’re not competitive across the full range of conditions. Great fun boats but just rate badly

Agreed. The Pogo 30 seems to firmly a fun machine, not a race machine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to schedule a test sail just after Christmas. Stay tuned for a Q&A session :-)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not downsizing I hope

13 hours ago, Blur said:

Trying to schedule a test sail just after Christmas. Stay tuned for a Q&A session :-)

Not downsizing I hope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 3:14 PM, JL92S said:

It will face huge competition in the UK and Northern France, direct rivals will be the new JPK 1030, the Sunfast 3400, Ofcet 32, MMW 33 and even well set up J109s

Do many people 2H 109’s? Seems like the 105 is still the choice for offshore short handed stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snowden said:

Do many people 2H 109’s? Seems like the 105 is still the choice for offshore short handed stuff. 

More and more people are, the 105 I believe is still the better 2h boat but the 109 more competitive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jacksparrow said:

Not downsizing I hope!

 

No no, just curious :rolleyes: 

Also, having sailed the 70/88/111/121 hopefully gives some good reference points for others trying to choose. 

The plan for the J/111 is (again) to get it to Palma for the Rolex Middle Sea Race, and then hopefully Capri and/or Giraglia Cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got some pictures from Nautic Paris.

The boat seems really nice but bow is not retractable at all.

It is not convenient ... as I'll need tools for +/- 10 minutes. 

Also as it is, I can not fix it at sea because the lashing underneath is not accessible from deck...

So right now, it needs to be removed at the dock only !

Wondering if that really consistent with the j-boat experience.

They will review that I hope

 

IMG_1887.thumb.jpg.ec69c98e1b3e55310d3a2bedd0c87c56.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cool little boat! Currently 30 orders in apparently.

48266848_1479173892227652_2627747342010286080_o.jpg

47579755_1479173928894315_7615503243791040512_o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roldy MC said:

Got some pictures from Nautic Paris.

The boat seems really nice but bow is not retractable at all.

It is not convenient ... as I'll need tools for +/- 10 minutes. 

Also as it is, I can not fix it at sea because the lashing underneath is not accessible from deck...

So right now, it needs to be removed at the dock only !

Wondering if that really consistent with the j-boat experience.

They will review that I hope

 

IMG_1887.thumb.jpg.ec69c98e1b3e55310d3a2bedd0c87c56.jpg

Apparently the spec for the boat was a result of customer feedback from both new and existing customers, the reason for fitting a fixed bowsprit was to increase space in the bow and to have one less point for water ingress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Roldy MC said:

Got some pictures from Nautic Paris.

The boat seems really nice but bow is not retractable at all.

It is not convenient ... as I'll need tools for +/- 10 minutes. 

Also as it is, I can not fix it at sea because the lashing underneath is not accessible from deck...

So right now, it needs to be removed at the dock only !

Wondering if that really consistent with the j-boat experience.

They will review that I hope

 

IMG_1887.thumb.jpg.ec69c98e1b3e55310d3a2bedd0c87c56.jpg

are those cleats on the bow that move up/down or just placeholders? If the former, I'm surprised they didn't go with the swiveling antal cleats used on the 121. We and the few other boats I've spoken to have been very happy with them

Also surprised to see only 1 tack line rigged given the design brief of this boat as offshore/short-handed. Maybe they didn't get around to it for this show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Roldy MC said:

Got some pictures from Nautic Paris.

The boat seems really nice but bow is not retractable at all.

It is not convenient ... as I'll need tools for +/- 10 minutes. 

Also as it is, I can not fix it at sea because the lashing underneath is not accessible from deck...

So right now, it needs to be removed at the dock only !

Wondering if that really consistent with the j-boat experience.

They will review that I hope

 

IMG_1887.thumb.jpg.ec69c98e1b3e55310d3a2bedd0c87c56.jpg

 

A fixed bowsprit offers the best performance, particularly when it comes to luff tension for A0 and J0's.  It seems to me that J Boats leans more towards the performance of a fixed sprit than convenience  of a retractable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few observations/questions:

The 3 leg pulpit is “unusual.”

Are those carbon fiber rollers over the first sections of the upper lifelines?

The mast is really short;)

The graphics are optional, right?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roldy MC said:

I think it is possible to do both with little engineering

attach-code-02.jpg

image.png

Sure its possible, its just a matter of what trade-offs matter to you.  Cost vs. flexibility, complexity vs simplicity, more wear & maintenance vs less wear & maintenance.  More expensive moorage rates vs less expensive moorage rates, dry forepeake in heavy seas vs leaks into forepeake in heavy seas, etc, etc...no one right answer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CordRipper said:

are those cleats on the bow that move up/down or just placeholders? If the former, I'm surprised they didn't go with the swiveling antal cleats used on the 121. We and the few other boats I've spoken to have been very happy with them

Also surprised to see only 1 tack line rigged given the design brief of this boat as offshore/short-handed. Maybe they didn't get around to it for this show

We have the same cleats on our euro built J88 and yes they are the up/down type, probably better value than the Antal ones on the 121. 

If you want a 2nd tack line then I guess like all the other Js then you need to buy and fit it yourself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, patrese said:

Looks a bit like a pregnant sporty....3.8 tons!!! wtf???

Agree. Not much of a difference to J/97 which weighs in at 3,9. Less rocker and perhaps a bit more sail area but otherwise only small differences except for the internal layout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 3:37 AM, Varan said:

That boat rocks. Yes a lot of rocker.

Why so much?

I would imagine having a deep canoe body like that gets you 6' standing headroom w/ lower freeboard and cabin trunk, then the rocker takes the arse out of the water.

IRC is quite generous on boats like the J/97 that have a short LWL and lots of stern overhang in 'measurement trim', which is immersed actually sailing upwind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting - the boat with no bulb and shorthanded crew still seems quite stable at 20 knots wind (assuming the claims on facebook page are accurate). Wondering if they were using any water ballast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t believe this boat has water ballast but could be wrong, I can’t see any of the associated paraphernalia. This boat will be setup for irc inshore racing in the Solent rather than offshore I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this boat doesn't. but it is an option that can be delivered. I'll be sailing this one on the 7th of january

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello JMOD,

When I bought mine, few weeks ago, this option was not listed.

Isn't it a rumor ?

In case of retrofit the volume needed by ballast, pipes and plumbing will probably ask accommodations to be revisited.

I don't know what is the scheme for J121, any picture someone on deck and bellow ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Furkolkjaaf said:

Interesting - the boat with no bulb and shorthanded crew still seems quite stable at 20 knots wind (assuming the claims on facebook page are accurate). Wondering if they were using any water ballast

Wind is 14 knots as said on Key Yachting Facebook page, which is more  in line with sea state, I think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Roldy MC said:

In case of retrofit the volume needed by ballast, pipes and plumbing will probably ask accommodations to be revisited.

I don't know what is the scheme for J121, any picture someone on deck and bellow ?

4

The setup on the J/121 would be messy to retrofit. Especially the inlet/plumbing.
Lots of photos from the J/121 here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/blursailing/albums/72157687189974273

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Roldy MC said:

Wind is 14 knots as said on Key Yachting Facebook page, which is more  in line with sea state, I think.

 

Well, I've noted that, but there was also this statement in the J/Boats facebook "With 19 kts of wind, hitting a steady 11.3 kts, at 146 AWA"...but I agree on the comment on the sea state...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 10:40 AM, Roldy MC said:

Hello JMOD,

When I bought mine, few weeks ago, this option was not listed.

Isn't it a rumor ?

In case of retrofit the volume needed by ballast, pipes and plumbing will probably ask accommodations to be revisited.

I don't know what is the scheme for J121, any picture someone on deck and bellow ?

it is possible, however they will be delivered later. currently all slots filled with the non waterbalast boats 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites